Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travelling on a coach with an infant - how to restrain?

13 replies

CnR · 03/10/2003 21:07

I did put this query on another thread but thought it best to be separate.

I am supposed to be taking 18mo DD with me on a school trip next week. This means travelling on a coach, but I am pretty sure the coach only has lap belts. Trouble is I am really struggling to get childcare for the early start and the late finish to the day if she doesn't go. DD doesn't go to nursery that day and besides nursery isn't available at those times, and DH has to work. DD normally goes to MIL but she has prior engagement that day - long standing one that is dificult to rearrange. I planned to take her before I had had chance to worry about all this.

My car seat (Britax Romer DUo Isofix) can't be fitted with just a lap belt and it would appear neither can the one my MIL has (Bebe Confort Iseos)

Does anyone know any other products around - of reasonable cost, only a one off - or of any way I can restrain DD? I am concerned about it to be honest and, obvioulsy, don't want her to be at risk.

Coach doesn't provide anything either as it is for a secondary school trip - so don't have to be able to anyway.

OP posts:
Please
or

waterbaby · 03/10/2003 21:12

Could you hire one from somewhere CnR? Can't suggest any models, but might be worth ringing around. Also worth checking with the coach company - if its minibus there might be a normal seatbelt in the passanger seat, if its a big coach there might be one on the little front seat the spare driver sometimes sits on. Might be worth asking your local coach station/ company or National Express if they can reccommend one? Long straws I know, but HTH...

Please
or

CnR · 03/10/2003 21:15

Coach definitely has none. We went on the same company's a couple of weeks back. I had been told there was proper belts by another teacher so had planned to use my own seat. there wasn't. DD had to sit next to be the whole time with me holding onto her so tightly the whole way. Didn't feel good about it but it was too late to do anything else. That was what has made me think about this now.

Where do you hire seats from?

OP posts:
Please
or

waterbaby · 03/10/2003 21:39

I'm not sure nationally, but there are quite a few nursery hire places around here - you seem to be able to hire everything from cots to pushchairs to car seats - aimed at people visiting grandparents etc I guess, who don't want to lug everything around. We hired a car seat a long time ago, when my god-daughter came to stay - her mum bought her on the train, but we wanted to use our car while they were here. It was a one woman job, but I've seen them advertised elsewhere - maybe your local tourist board might be able to help? Another friend hired one when she visited London from a car hire place - not the car, just the seat, but they probably only hold the seats that fit the models they rent out. No guarantees about the safety of these seats though, before anyone points that out - but better than nothing IMO.

Please
or

CnR · 03/10/2003 22:21

Been doing some searches for baby equipment hire but struggling to find anywhere near us. Does anyone know of any in the Sheffield or Doncaster areas. I am willing to travel a bit out of my way within reason, but need the car seat by Thursday!

OP posts:
Please
or

JJ · 03/10/2003 22:37

CnR, I remember seeing baby things in one catering equipment catalog I had. You might try firms near you and ask if they have any leads:
Sheffield Catering Equipment

Good luck.

Please
or

CnR · 04/10/2003 09:04

Will have a look, thanks for the tip.

OP posts:
Please
or

CnR · 04/10/2003 09:08

Was wondering what people thought: close friends have a toddler too and I know they have two car seats (recently separated you see). I am sure that these can be used with just a lap belt. Do you think it would be out of order to ask to borrow the spare one (male friend's seat) for the da? Obvious;y we would offer to replace it if anything happened to it. I wouldn't object to them borrowing ours, but DH wasn't sure.

WE have used things of theirs before as their toddler is slightly older. For example we borrowed their crob, and for a short time their nfant car seat (ours was awaiting results of a car seat test).

OP posts:
Please
or

kmg1 · 04/10/2003 10:02

I'd definitely ask. I'm quite happy to lend all sorts of stuff to friends and close acquaintances. If you phrase your request carefully to give them ample opportunity to decline, then I don't think there's a problem at all.

Please
or

CnR · 04/10/2003 10:36

kmg - thanks. I did phone the male friend and he is going to have a look and thinks his wife won't mind. I hope to see her tomorrow anyway so can ask properly then.

Just had a quote to hire one but as it is based in London it would cost £39. Seems quite steep but £30 of it is for delivery. I need somewhere closer!

OP posts:
Please
or

mears · 04/10/2003 12:46

CnR - did you have difficulty with the school allowing your dd to go? I am surprised insurance wise etc that they have agreed to a toddler going on a school trip. Will that not be a lot of hassle for you?

Please
or

Bozza · 04/10/2003 21:52

CnR - hopefully your friend will come through for you. I would have absolutely no problem lending out our spare car seat (we have one in each car as DH does nursery drop and I collect)under these circumstances.

Don't pay £39 for hire. You can buy a cheap (but maybe not that aesthetically pleasing ) car seat from Argos for less than that. I think there is a high back booster in Argos that I was considering for our hols which is suitable from 9 months.

Please
or

CnR · 05/10/2003 08:45

Mears - no problem at all; in fact they asked me if I wanted to bring her along. I think they are desperate for someone to help out to be honest. Last time and this time all I am needed for is numbers; and to register the kids at lunch time. They are secondary and allowed off on their own - this one is a business studies trip to Alton Towers.

At last school we took about 1000 children to the Millenium Dome and nearly all the staff who had children (I didn't) took them along too. I think with secondary it is a bit easier.

Seeing friend today so will find out today about using that one. Or I have seen a cheapish one in Argos - not sure if it worlks with a lap belt though. Also my mum works for the education authority and they have car seats that they lend out, she is going to look into that for me.

OP posts:
Please
or

CnR · 05/10/2003 15:26

Yeah! Friend's car seat is a Britax Freeway which can be fitted using a lap belt. Now I need to figure out how to fit it without instructions or a lap belt to practise on!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?