Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

holiday in portugal

8 replies

jinna · 24/09/2003 10:58

we are thinking of going to portugal during the half term break - which area would be good - we want it to be warm and a beach area - i have 2 DS , 5 AND 1 - any suggestions?

OP posts:
Please
or

jinna · 24/09/2003 12:12

there must be someone who has been!!!!!!!!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

beetroot · 24/09/2003 12:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

SoupDragon · 24/09/2003 12:31

We went to somewhere near Albufeira (sp?) Very nice. Stayed at the Balaia Plaza (used to be a Virgin Sun hotel but I think it's First Choice now). Had a kids club (free) and a creche (fee payable). We did have to get a cab into Albufeira for the best choice of places to eat. Generally all were pretty child friendly.

We went in October and the weather was nice enough but the pool was too cold for DS1 (18mths)and the sea was absolutely freezing!

Please
or

Blu · 24/09/2003 12:42

Portugal in the Autumn is still lovely and warm, but the sea can be a bit chilly. I have been to Tavira, (like Beetroot) which is a very attractive town, and has a railway station for frequent trains which potter along to lots of other coastal towns, villages and resorts. The beach there IS fab, it's part of a long sand spit that goes along that part of the coast, but it is a bit of a walk from the town.
I have also been to Burgau, further West, a small village well set up for tourists but no huge developments and with some small fishing boats operating off the beach. That has lovely apartments in village houses moments from the beach, (but also a small holiday complex and sports centre about a mile out, better to find accommodation in the village,) good selection of beach cafes and village restaurants...don't know which holiday companies go there. Basically the Portugese are extremely child friendly, and I don't think you could go wrong anywhere along the Algarve.

Please
or

Boot1 · 24/09/2003 12:47

Portugal is lovely this time of year. We stayed near Albuferia and hired a car. One place to visit which is really amazing is Monchique which is a town up in the mountains. It is about an hour's drive from the coast. Lots of great beaches. Albuferia Old Town is also lovely and away from the normal commcercial stuff.

Please
or

helenmh · 24/09/2003 14:43

Been to the algarve twice- once for a week to albufeira in feb and once for two weeks to Lagos. Its very child friendly and cheaap to eat out. Lagos is a very nice resort with lots of character. We stayed in a suburb of albufeira which was nice- there was an old fishing village called OLos d Agua. The west is very beautiful- Salema, Burgau. There are some good places inland in the hills. Theres a good website if it still exists. I think it is www.Davessite.com. Anymore questions please ask
Helen

Please
or

beetroot · 24/09/2003 16:22

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

jinna · 25/09/2003 18:14

hi everyone - thanks for all the great advice - i'll have a look at the website and decide where to go

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?