Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Three Point seat belts

14 replies

Chairmum · 25/09/2001 14:36

We currently have a Ford Mondeo (yes, I know!) and the best thing about it is that all three rear seat belts are lap-and-diagonals. We are to get a new company car next year, but it won't be a Ford, and I was wondering whether all new cars now have three rear lap-and-diagonals or whether it varies from car to car and from one manufacturer to another.

OP posts:
Please
or

Alibubbles · 25/09/2001 16:13

My Mercedes ML 320 (2 years old) hasn't got them at the moment, but I know the newer one has. I'm looking forward to changing it next April for that reason.

Please
or

Rhiannon · 25/09/2001 16:22

I'm just about to order a Previa, the middle belt is still a lap belt also on the Galaxy and the Synergie unfortunately.

The Scenic and the Xsara (Citroen) both have 3 'proper' belts. I've got a Zafira at the moment and that has a lap belt too but at least it has two proper belts with the seats in the boot.

Please
or

Chairmum · 25/09/2001 17:13

Ooh, wish we could have a Mercedes but I think that's unlikely! DH's company are talking about the Vauxhall range, either Vectra or Astra, or we can take the money and buy our own car. Are you changing your Zafira because you don't like it Rhiannon? I rather like the look of them as they're not so 'transit van' looking as other people carriers, IYKWIM, not that we really need anything more than five seats except once in a blue moon.

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 25/09/2001 19:59

chairmum, i think you'll find that all the cars in the same class as the mondeo will have a 3 point belt in the back. a lot of them have a middle headrest too.
we are awaiting delivery of a peugeot 406 "family" estate which has two small seats in the back which fold into the floor. (this is also an option on the audi estates.) i would have liked to get a toyota picnic, which is also not transit-van-ish and has 6 proper seats, but my dh (and his company) said no.

Please
or

Rhiannon · 25/09/2001 21:40

Chairman, the Zafira is just a hire car until I've made up my mind what to get. We've opted out of the company car scheme for tax purposes so now have to lease one ourselves and it's been a bit of a pain to sort out.

The extra 2 seats that fold out of the floor of the boot are excellent and a great idea. I wouldn't like to do a long run in it though. I like a "sofa on wheels" as my husband calls it.

You don't want a Merc they take too much petrol, got rid of one of those too recently! It was an estate and also had two rear seats that folded out of the floor when you wanted them, very handy on the odd occasion.

Please
or

Chairmum · 25/09/2001 22:39

We're wondering whether to opt out of the compnay car scheme, too. Currently all our petrol is paid and we do about 25K miles a year, so it's difficult to decide whether to go with the company car or take the money. I'll keep away from Mercs after your warning, though, LOL!

That's good to know, Janh, about all Mondeo size cars having 3x3point seat belts. We're thinking about downsizing to a Ford Focus/Vauxhall Astra size as it would save tax, plus we usually only have two children with us these days and we no longer have to take a buggy/cot etc on holidays!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Alibubbles · 26/09/2001 11:08

I would agree that the Merc is a bit thirsty on short runs, (although my 7 seater 230TE was pretty good) but I am going to get the diesel next time. It is really economical, compared with the petrol one! It is only a 2,7, but have been told that will actually find it a lot better than my ML320, and as I can't aford the new 500 version the 270 will have to do! I don't really have a lot of choice, it's a Merc or a Merc, and as my husband has the SL I can't do the school run in that!

Please
or

Mooma · 26/09/2001 12:05

Really recommend the new Honda Civic, redesigned with the gear stick on the dashboard to create more soace between the front seats, also taller so more headroom, and yes, three proper inertia reel 3-point belts in the back. It seats 5 adults in great comfort. (I sound like the ad!!)

Please
or

Crunchie · 26/09/2001 12:34

Well I love my Renault Scenic. It has three full saet belts in the back, all the seats fold down totally to make a huge boot space and it's really economical. We have the diesl version and it does about 500 miles per tank (50 litres) which is about 100 miles more than our old Renault Megane (we wanted the same car with a bigger boot and got the Scenic as a company car). There is 4 of us, plus dog, pram and various rubbish we carry around and there's loads of room. I have often had to sit in the back between the two car seats nd there is still room. So I would highly recommend it!

Please
or

Binza · 26/09/2001 18:39

What started out as a genuine enquiry about seatbelts seems to have degenerated into car one-upmanship!

Please
or

Janh · 26/09/2001 21:46

what makes you say that, binza? chairmum is wondering what to go for - people are telling her what they have and why they like them (or not). and most of them mention the belts in the back.

Please
or

Chairmum · 26/09/2001 21:50

LOL, Binza! It's good to learn about cars from people's experiences, though. I'm not too fussed about what I drive so long as it goes from A to B in relative comfort and is reliable. (No public transport here, so the last criteria is very important!)

OP posts:
Please
or

Pamina · 27/09/2001 07:47

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Alibubbles · 27/09/2001 09:04

Binza, that's sad you should feel that way. Everyone drives what suits them and their personal needs. It's a bit hard to recommend a car without naming it. It's not about one upmanship at all, I am lucky to have my Merc and I know my husband works damn hard to provide it. He also wants to provide the safest possible car for me in light of the fact I carry around other people's children.

I have had my share of Fiats, Astras, Renaults etc. In fact one of the best cars I used to drive was my mother's Vauxhall Cavalier, She swapped with me while I was pregnant as I couldn't get my 1 year old into the back of my Renault 5 without a lot of difficulty

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?