Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Youth hostels for New Year

5 replies

chiswickmum · 04/09/2003 22:50

I'm looking for somewhere to go for New Year. I don't want an expensive hotel and was wondering whether Youth Hostels do anything special for New Year and whether anyone had ever been?

OP posts:
Please
or

Bogwoppit · 04/09/2003 22:56

some youth hostels will have new year things on. there is also Rent-a-hostel. this is where certain hostels are available for your own personal use. generally the smaller ones, but some bigger ones.

look here

Please
or

Bogwoppit · 04/09/2003 22:59

I have done Rent-a-hostel when I was in uni hiking club. it is fun if there are a few of you.
mum has been on a summer hiking thing with YHA & enjoyed it too.
as an ex-assistant warden youth hostels are a great way to see Britain cheaply. Alot more now have smaller rooms & family rooms, plus meals too.
Even some Rent-a-hostels will do the catering

Please
or

Rhubarb · 05/09/2003 15:36

There is a brilliant Youth Hostel near Inverness in Scotland called Carbisdale Castle. We stayed there recently, it really is out of this world! They have kept the character of the castle as much as possible, it has a statue gallery and this beautiful staircase leading down to it - all the original features are there, and it even has some ghosts! They do family rooms which are basic but comfortable, and a continental breakfast comes with the price which is around £14 per person (£12.50 for children over 5). They also do evening meals which are brill!

Their website is here , I fully recommend it! Plus it'd be lovely up there in the winter, the fireplaces look like they are in use so you could sit next to a lovely real fire looking out at the beautiful scenery and snowy hills!

Please
or

butterflymum · 05/09/2003 16:11

Ooooh Rhubarb, reading your post has brought back lovely memories of days gone by. Hubby and I stayed at Carbisdale a number of years ago (pre-children) and loved it too. The staircase is great and the whole place is special! Sounds like it hasn't changed much.

Have been thinking it might be nice to do some hostelling again now we have the kids and will keep an eye on this post for any suggestions of others, like the castle, which are good and have family rooms.

Chiswickmum, my vote would be for Carbisdale too.

butterfly

Please
or

Bogwoppit · 05/09/2003 16:50

look at site under family breaks there are a few new yr things mentioned. thereis also a list of family friendly hostels.

I'd recommend Exford (Exmoor), but then I'm biased cos I worked there
but I've been to so many lovely ones all unique. St Briavels castle was great too.

& I htink Hartington Hall? had a wonderful staircase

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?