Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Brittany- s/catering sugestions please

18 replies

emmaij · 08/08/2003 09:55

Thinking of a trip there in the middle of september with 2 year old and 14 week old. Don't know the area at all, (but know a lot of you do) Could you reccomend a beautiful place/region to stay(close to beach), and anyone got any ideas with regard to self-catering. (Prefer rustic gite/house to busy camp-site.)

Thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

emmaij · 08/08/2003 12:57

think i might have found somewhere near audierne, so any advice about this area would be greatly appreciated. Is it nice round here? Haven't booked yet.

OP posts:
Please
or

Jimjams · 08/08/2003 16:44

We stayed on the coast near concarneau- but went to Audierne for a day trip. We liked it. It's pretty rural and quiet round there. Audierne has quite a few restaurants and you can do boat trips, and it has a lovely little aquarium. You can walk out to the French lands End as well

Please
or

emmaij · 09/08/2003 12:32

thanks jimjams. Just read something about a massive oil spill off the coast of Brittany in 1999. No blue flag beaches, then. Didn't see any effects of this, did you. Think I might start another thread.

OP posts:
Please
or

janh · 09/08/2003 14:47

We went to Brittany in mid-Sept once (many years ago) and a lot of it was shut!

emma, Tenby is clean after the oil spill there in 1996 - that was 72,000 tonnes of crude oil - the Brittany one was 10-15,000 tonnes so you'd think it would have been sorted by now? I found a report in the Travel section of the Guardian from January 2001 which said the beaches were "open for business"...

Please
or

Jimjams · 09/08/2003 19:43

emmaij- yep I got some oil on my foot! There was a ntice up saying that some of the beaches still had small amounts of oil, but that they were safe although you had to be careful not to ruin your clothes. The strange thing was the water was crystal clear- and I didn't see the bit I stood in.

Please
or

Enid · 10/08/2003 20:35

I've just come back from Moelan-sur-Mer in the Finistere region of Brittany, its beautiful, the beaches are lovely, we swam everyday and we didn't see any oil. I love Brittany and am now seriously thinking of buying a house out there.

Please
or

emmaij · 11/08/2003 09:49

Good - I'm pleased that the oil issue, is not an issue. Had me worried.
Now, of course, I realize that I don't have a passport for the wee one. Any tips on getting it quickly. Again, I think I will start another thread!

OP posts:
Please
or

Crunchie · 12/08/2003 09:20

emmaij if you go to the post office, they will check your application and process it, also promise it back in 2 weeks (at a price!) Or go to your local passport office and be prepared to wait for hours.

Please
or

emmaij · 13/08/2003 12:26

Thanks crunchie. Sent it yesterday so we'll see.

Enid, have now found somewhere in the region you stayed (it's near nevez, close to moelan sur mer, pont-aven etc)Can you provide me with any hot tips for great beaches, restaurants etc

How exciting! Are you really thinking about buying a house there.

OP posts:
Please
or

jas · 02/01/2004 09:52

I am thinking of going to Brittany in the summer, with a 4yr and 2 yr old,anyone have any recommendations for a wonderful, idyllic, etc etc self-catering place for 4 (like my luxuries so cannot contemplate camping!!)

Please
or

Crunchie · 02/01/2004 14:22

Sorry I am a campsite queen. The new Eurotents/mobile homes are really luxurious, you would be suprised. Also there is a ready stream of friends for your kids and kids activities, which in my mind makes it more relaxing as I get to holiday too.

Please
or

hmb · 02/01/2004 14:29

Campsites are brill in France. Can recomend Keycamp and Canvas. Caravans with showers, loos, better kitchen than some houses! Kids clubs great if wanted. Lots of fun things on site and off it. Did the Vendee last year, going again this year. First rate!!

Please
or

turnupthebass · 02/01/2004 14:37

Echo whats been said about the campsites in Brittany. We went to Carnac last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only downside to being in a tent was the regional night-time thunder-storms. Tent wasnt sealed properly so I was up at 3am sweeping water out!

The area is lovely - loads and loads of gorgeous beaches (none over-crowded either).

Please
or

turnupthebass · 02/01/2004 14:38

and no evidence of any pollution on the beaches we were on in August.

Please
or

Slinky · 02/01/2004 14:53

We spent 2 weeks in August 2002 + 2003 in Benodet, Southern Brittany and had a fabulous time! Weather was great (in fact this year was TOO hot - we arrived during the French heatwave!) and both times have stayed with Keycamp. Even my DH was impressed and he HATES caravans LOL!

No evidence of pollution either time and the beaches are absolutely stunning with plenty of little rock-pools for the kids to go crabbing.

We are going to the Loire region in August 2004 for a change - again with Keycamp.

Please
or

hmb · 02/01/2004 15:03

Benodet is fab, stayed near there (Fousnant) 3 years ago. I'm a big convert to caravaning. Hated it as a child, was amazed by the improvements to caravan comfort! Did a holiday in the Vendee last year and can't wait to go back this year. Best family holiday ever, and I'm a bit of a holiday snob!!! Goin on a Canvas site in Holand over the Easter hols....can't wait. The kids love the caravans!

Please
or

kizzie · 26/01/2004 17:55

Hi any other recommedations for keycamp sites?
Also re. the caravans are the basic ones ok - or is it worth paying for the better ones?
Kizziex

Please
or

hmb · 26/01/2004 18:01

We wnet to Camping l'Atlantique which was fab, but the weather was dreadful when we went, which was a shame.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?