Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

flying long distance while pregnant

13 replies

eefs · 06/08/2003 15:05

I've am planning a work trip to the far east in about a months time. I've only just realised that I may not be allowed to fly because of my pregnacy. I will be about 27 weeks during this trip - does anyone know what the regulations are when flying long distance?

OP posts:
Please
or

zebra · 06/08/2003 15:24

Rules vary by airlines; I think 28 weeks is a common cutoff point, but some go to 32 or 34 weeks without quibbles. Are you flying back as well?? You need to contact the airline, and perhaps fib about your dates..? You could get a letter from your doctor saying you're unlikely to give birth prematurely.

Watch out for deep vein thrombosis.

Please
or

eefs · 06/08/2003 16:40

Thanks Zebra, I'll be flying back the following week, so will be 29 wks max, depending on the day I travel. Oh dear, I think I'd better ask my doc to fudge my due date.

OP posts:
Please
or

bobthebaby · 06/08/2003 22:43

Hi, check out the airlines website, they may have put their policy on this online. You could ask your work to put you on a airline that will let you fly. From memory Qantas doesn't get too upset until 36 weeks and I'm sure some others don't too. Agree a letter from your doctor saying you are healthy could be a real help. One question I would ask your work is what happens insurance wise if you need treatment related to pregnancy while away. Your work may need to take out extra cover for you. Oh, and last thing, take a copy of your notes just in case you do need treatment. I certainly wouldn't lie about dates, because of the insurance.

Please
or

Azure · 07/08/2003 09:08

And insist on flying business class, if you're not already!

Please
or

wickedstepmother · 07/08/2003 11:02

Remember to do all the usual stuff - drink plenty of water and get up and have a walk up/down the aisle

Please
or

eefs · 07/08/2003 12:08

bobthebaby - thanks, i hadn't thought of insurance. I've checked the website but it just says to contact them directly and as I don't have definate dates of travel yet I'll have to wait a while.
I will get a letter from my Doc - thanks for the suggestions.
Azure - but of course I'm flying business travelling with work is the only time I ever do - I love it - all those freebies, all that alcohol - I wonder if they'll let me bring some home seeing as I can't really drink at the moment.
WSM - what? and leave my comfy seat?? it will one of the few times I get to watch a movie uninterrupted, I can rotate my ankles in the huge space alloted to us business class fliers

OP posts:
Please
or

bloss · 07/08/2003 13:43

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Tissy · 07/08/2003 14:57

eefs, I'm sure you're joking about not leaving your seat, but it is really important to get up and walk about regularly, rotating your ankles just isn't enough! You could also get some of those really attractive compression stockings to wear, as well!

Please
or

Lennie · 09/08/2003 17:59

Clarins lait joumbes loudes (so sorry for the spelling, but it's up in the bathroom). the blue cooling leg cream. fantastic and you can apply it over the lovely support tights.

Please
or

eefs · 14/08/2003 13:34

thanks for your help all - I've contacted the airline and I can fly until 36 wks with a letter from my GP, yay. I was starting to get quite nervous about it.

OP posts:
Please
or

morocco · 14/08/2003 21:03

who are you flying with eefs? just curious as I'd like to fly back to UK at 36 weeks and thought I'd have to forge a note from the docs but maybe not . . .

Please
or

bloss · 15/08/2003 11:44

Message withdrawn

Please
or

li01 · 19/01/2009 19:58

just while you're talking about flying..in addition to the usual about wearing stockings, moving and drinking water... .a bit of a cautionary tale...I flew US -> London last week with quite badly blocked sinuses from a cold, thinking i'd just swallow to clear my ears as usual...DON'T DO IT!! burst my eardrum on the way in to land and now taking antibiotics... feeling very stupid as the docs said i shouldn't have been flying when i wasn't 100%. I've never had this problem (sinuses or eardrums!) before and am usually a great traveller so just worth thinking about how you feel when you're pregnant and factoring that into decision about trips.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?