Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New Forest

15 replies

lisalisa · 29/07/2003 15:33

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Please
or

SueW · 29/07/2003 16:12

Burley is the only place I've been. It's about 7-10 miles from Bournemouth at a guess. Village-y, tea shops, etc. Horse-pulled rides etc. Not really my thing but I went along with my mum, DD and niece last year and I have others enthuse about it.

Sorry I don't come across as very enthusiastic but give me a city any day

Please
or

lisalisa · 29/07/2003 16:17

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Please
or

iota · 29/07/2003 16:24

Lisalisa - take a look at this link www.thenewforest.co.uk/

I used to go to the New Forest and the surrounding beaches all the time as a child. There are a couple of main roads through the forest, you drive over cattle grids in the road and then you're there. The horses wander around and can block the roads, so you have to be careful.
There are lots of places to park up and get out for a walk or play ball/frisbee. As it's so near to Bournemouth you can drive there as little or as often as you prefer. If you have car-mad ds's Beaulieu is a must.

Please
or

lisalisa · 29/07/2003 16:36

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Please
or

LIZS · 29/07/2003 16:43

lisalisa

Burley is well within the Forest and probably typical of what you can expect but the whole thing is very spaced out with lots of scrubland, wide open spaces and footpaths as well as woodland. It is easy just to drive through and find wooded picnic spots by rivers as there are well signed car park areas and footpaths. btw don't let your kids think the ponies are tame - they seem friendly enough but can bite .

Have a lovely time.

Please
or

LIZS · 29/07/2003 16:49

Brownsea Island in Poole harbour is quite a good adventure for the kids - boat ride, walk through the woods, sandy beach. (National Trust).

Also if it is rainy try Poole Pottery or I think there is an aquarium. There used to be a miniature village at Christchurch but haven't been down there for 10 years or more so that may have gone.

Please
or

lisalisa · 29/07/2003 16:50

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Please
or

Finbar · 30/07/2003 11:53

Also check out Moors Valley Park between Ringwood and Bournemouth - its a huge forest with a fab trail for all ages to follow and lots of climbing frames etc along the way....also included is a mini steram railway, a sand play area , a lake full of ducks, you can hire bikes or just go for a wander. The cost is what you pay for the car park which is £5 for the day - tho' cheaper after 4pm I believe.

Please
or

Finbar · 30/07/2003 11:53

Oh yes they do pony rides as well or they did last time I was there.
have a lovely time!

Please
or

lisalisa · 30/07/2003 12:54

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Please
or

SueW · 30/07/2003 13:35

There's riding available near Ringwod but not sure where. Tourist info should be able help (everywhere is full of tourist leaflets!)

We were in Mudeford last week which is about 7 miles from Bournemouth (to the east).

There's a Maize Maze near Sainsburys on the A35 which might be fun. We didn't get round to it because when the weather was dry the children only wanted to go in the pool/on the beach and when it was wet none of us fancied getting stuck ofr a couple of hoursi n a maze! More info here .

We also went to the aquarium at Bournemouth Time it carefully. Feeding of the sharks and rays is at 12noon and 2pm as well as, I think, 4.30pm. Our visit didn't coincide with these times at all so we missed out. And with two 6yo girls we were round in a little over an hour. Cost £18 for a family ticket.

Avoid the 'Hot Rocks' cafe which overlooks the aquarium and the beach as it is overpriced IMO and the service was lousy.

You have to get your children crabbing! This is the highlight of our holidays. 2 quid for a crab line, around another quid for a net and some bacon! We had four lousy days (well one hour each evening on those days) where we barely caught a thing, then on the last night, I stayed behind whilst my M&D took the girls and they caught around 30 in an hour!

Most of the things mentioned by everyone so far are within 10 miles of Bournemouth but if holiday traffic is bad, it may take a while to get around.

Have a fabulous trip.

Please
or

Twink · 30/07/2003 14:56

Lisalisa, we went to Moors country park recently, it's just off the A31 close to Ringwood so very close to Bournmouth. We had a great time (dd is nearly 4) I took her bike and she was able to cycle round the lake there before we did some of the other stuff. They do still do pony rides, I think it was 2.50 to go twice around a short trail in the forest.

Please
or

bunny2 · 30/07/2003 23:15

Just past Hurn airport in Bournemouth is Alice in Wonderland family theme park . Great rides for children, then if you time it right, you can go to the airport and watch the planes take off. Beaulieu is also really lovely and worth a visit. Brockehurst is easy to get to by train from Bournemouth, there isnt much to do there but it is pretty and you can hire bikes at the station.

Please
or

Xanthe · 31/07/2003 21:20

Another vote for Moors Valley Country Park. We've been several times and there's loads to do and it's pushchair friendly. The train ride is excellent and the play areas keep the children amused for ages. There are short walks in the woods so you really get the feel of being in the New Forest. The whole park is very spacious so it never feels crowded. Also a nice cafe (always a priority on our days out) in a converted barn. Great value for money as you only pay for the parking as previously mentioned.

Please
or

codswallop · 31/07/2003 21:28

Moors valley - I am going next week so watch out for 3 mad boys...

I dont rate the New forest myself always seems a little bleak!. Alice in WOnderland park is supposed to be good or Paultons Park too

Also a day trip to lovely Salisbury?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?