Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Prestwick (near Glasgow) weekend? Troon, what do you think?

15 replies

RockingRosebud · 26/07/2003 20:42

As we live near Stansted, was thinking of taking DH to Troon (golf) for the weekend. It is very near the coast, can anyone tell me if it is a coastline with a holiday type beach? Also is it a touristy area? What can we do DS8 and DD4 whilst DH plays golf?

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Mocha · 26/07/2003 21:04

Troon is a beautiful town,which is very tourist orientated and has a lovely beach. I have friends that live in Troon and love it. My parents live in Livingston and I live in Burton. My parents a thinking of possibly booking a caravan holiday in Troon is September.
I think that you and your family will love it.

Please
or

M2T · 26/07/2003 21:39

It's also very close to other lovely seaside resorts if you are hiring a car. Largs is one and you can take the ferry to Isle of Cumbrae. Millport is the town there. Actually, there is a whole thread about Millport and what to do there (can't remember which one though). I saw wild Dolphins in the sea there, fantastic!

Please
or

Mocha · 26/07/2003 21:56

If you go to Millport you can hire bikes and cycle round the island.

Please
or

M2T · 26/07/2003 21:57

That's right , I forgot about those! We hired tandems.

Please
or

codswallop · 26/07/2003 21:58

rubbish M2t,we know you have never been...

Please
or

M2T · 26/07/2003 22:01

Hee hee... the reason I forgot was coz I went there as part of my Uni course. there's a Marine Biology research unit there. We were there for 5 days in the a glorious summer heat wave! Not much MARINE biology was researched.

Please
or

codswallop · 26/07/2003 22:02

god - students eh? tsk tsk

Please
or

butterflymum · 26/07/2003 22:11

Assume you are flying and not taking the car?

With either a hired car or using local trains, there are lots of things up and down that stretch of coast you can do with the kids. For some examples have a look here:

Ayrshire and Arran Coast - Things to do with the Kids

Enjoy your trip!

butterfly

ps , on that same site, you can find out loads more about the area from golf to eating to places of interest etc.

Please
or

jasper · 26/07/2003 22:46

Troon is right on the coast with a massive long beach with a big "green" as well as miles of sand.
It is a lovely town,a bit touristy in an upmarket way,good just to wander round.
The Apple Inn on the main street is good for lunch, and nearby Lochgreen House is my favourite ever restaurant.
Be sure to go for an ice cream in Tog's cafe near the main traffic lights.

Please
or

jasper · 27/07/2003 00:36

You can get links to both Lochgreen and The Apple Inn here

Please
or

mears · 27/07/2003 00:46

Really amazing to see my home town as the title of the post. Good links from Jasper.

Please
or

mears · 27/07/2003 00:46

Really amazing to see my home town as the title of the post. Good links from Jasper.

Please
or

mears · 27/07/2003 00:47

And butterflymum

Please
or

mears · 27/07/2003 14:47

Here is a site for you to look at

troon

Please
or

RockingRosebud · 29/07/2003 16:54

Thanks everyone. DH has decided it would be better for him to do the golf thing on his own. Would still like to go though, it's my birthday next week so i'll drop a couple of hints!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?