Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Two courses at same uni. Bad idea?

NotDonna · 26/06/2022 10:11

There’s 2 very similar courses at the same university and within the same department both requiring the same grades. DD would rather course A but would be happy with course B. If she applies to both will they offer her both (personal statement etc pending)? Or just one? It’s likely course A will be more popular so will they think ‘oh she’s happy with course B so we’ll offer her that and give course A to someone who only wants that’?

OP's posts:
Please
or

lightisnotwhite · 26/06/2022 10:56

Mine did this for Portsmouth, similar courses. He got an unconditional for one and then had to wait right to the end for the other offer (it was the one he wanted as his insurance).
However he really doesn’t want to go to Portsmouth now he’s seen others so I’d say make very sure it’s the Uni they want.

Please
or

Chemenger · 26/06/2022 11:05

I would recommend trying to talk to the university or even better the department. In my department we have more than one programme but students can transfer freely between them up to the point that they definitively diverge. This is probably more common in Scotland, where I am, though, since first and second year are intended to be flexible and designed to allow programme changes.

Please
or

Springduckling · 26/06/2022 11:15

I agree with pp, I found it easy to email the unis my dc was thinking of applying to , to ask the questions.

Please
or

Delphigirl · 26/06/2022 19:30

I agree - very often such courses have a common first term or first year, so you can transfer between them until the syllabi change. Two applications would be a waste of one in those circumstances. Drop them an email and ask.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 26/06/2022 23:37

Check what the university's policy on applying for more than one course is (if it has one - not having one would be a positive, I suppose). Some universities actually do state that if more than one course is applied for, offers will not be made for more than one.

Please
or

Equiphant · 26/06/2022 23:42

Do check the policy -
Several lecturers at my uni referred to multiple applicants as “my boy/girlfriend goes to this uni so i literally don’t care what i have to do to go there too” and it was a blanket no to them.

Please
or

poetryandwine · 27/06/2022 18:08

Former admissions tutor here (Russell Group). Whenever applicants to my School did this we would admit them to only one degree programme, usually the less popular one.

Please
or

BestIsWest · 27/06/2022 18:17

One of mine did this because they couldn’t decide between a straight subject course or a joint honours with another course. Got offers for both, one slightly higher than the other and ended up making them first choice and insurance. As it happened they missed the first choice by a grade or two and got in on the insurance.

Please
or

sammyjoanne · 27/06/2022 18:38

NotDonna · 26/06/2022 10:11

There’s 2 very similar courses at the same university and within the same department both requiring the same grades. DD would rather course A but would be happy with course B. If she applies to both will they offer her both (personal statement etc pending)? Or just one? It’s likely course A will be more popular so will they think ‘oh she’s happy with course B so we’ll offer her that and give course A to someone who only wants that’?

DD did that at Lancaster. She had physics with astrophysics, and physics with particle physics and cosmology. She got offers on both, but she chose the second one. As long as they are similar that fine because your personal statement will cover them both.

Please
or

EwwSprouts · 27/06/2022 20:05

St Andrews biology said don't do it as they look at all applications as an application to the department, so two would be one completely wasted even if distinct courses such as biology and marine biology.

Please
or

NotDonna · 27/06/2022 22:43

Thank you. We’ve both scoured their website and can’t find anything saying she should or shouldn’t apply to both. Given there’s varying experiences here on mn, she’s emailed the department admissions people for advice.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GettingItOutThere · 27/06/2022 22:51

i wouldnt - you can move freely between courses once your "in" and they have spaces. I would not waste a choice for it

Please
or

Juja · 27/06/2022 23:30

My DC applied for both Geography and Combined Social Sciences at Durham - got offers for both but that was for 2020 so before all the current increase in demand for places so I'm not sure I would advise it now...

Please
or

NotDonna · 27/06/2022 23:39

GettingItOutThere · 27/06/2022 22:51

i wouldnt - you can move freely between courses once your "in" and they have spaces. I would not waste a choice for it

@GettingItOutThere both courses will be oversubscribed so she’s doubtful you’ll be able to switch. The modules differ slightly too. But not enough to warrant different personal statements.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.