Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Support thread June 2022 for parents with young people at Oxford Uni UNIQ event next week?

stayingpositiveifpossible · 24/06/2022 08:26

So, anyone else out there sending their sixteen/seventeen year old to UNIQ next week? Words of wisdom and/or encouragement to offer?

Or anyone had experience of this in previous years? I'm excited for them but fairly terrified as it is new territory for us.

I'm hoping they will benefit greatly, have fun, make friends - I'm panicking a little though, mainly about the trains running okay...anyone else?

OP's posts:
Please
or

reshetima · 24/06/2022 15:54

Hi OP you might want to ask your thread to be moved as this is a backwater used by academics to discuss work matters.

Please
or

stayingpositiveifpossible · 25/06/2022 08:47

Thanks reshetima

OP's posts:
Please
or

stayingpositiveifpossible · 25/06/2022 08:51

In case anyone doesn't now what this is (and I didn't until six months ago!) it is the access programme of University of Oxford for young people who might not have considered it.

www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/whatisuniq

A bit short notice I know to contact parents - of those who are going but you never know...

OP's posts:
Please
or

stayingpositiveifpossible · 25/06/2022 14:06

anyone?

OP's posts:
Please
or

sammyjoanne · 27/06/2022 19:34

@stayingpositiveifpossible Hey :) not a current UNIQ but daughter did Physics UNIQ in 2019 of the summer. Absolutely amazing. She fell in love with Oxford. We drove there (as we was in london the night before) and she caught the park and ride into the city, and then we walked her to the train station where all the students were meeting with a guide there, and we left her at that point. She caught the train back.
She got to know the city. One of the things they did was to make the funniest photo possible, so they pretended to be in a car parked illegally on double yellows. So they were pretending to be sat down and one pretending to hold an imaginary steering wheel, where one other was stood, pretending to give a parking ticket. food was amazing (she was at Balliol) .She also got to see Lady margaret hall for dinner, and visited St Catz. They also had a party at the end, lots of lectures and a problem set to work on, and a tutorial at St Johns.

She did apply in 2019 for 2020 start and she got as far as interview stages. She applied to Lancaster and she got an unconditional, and I really think UNIQ contributed to that :) Not getting in has not stopped her for trying for a phd at Oxbridge. She can apply for both unis so thats her plan in a couple of years time.

With the trains being a right pain at the moment, not sure if you can organise a back up plan, just in case.

Please
or

stayingpositiveifpossible · 03/07/2022 21:32

Thanks Sammy she is a couple of days back still processing.

It is quite a journey isn't it. She seems to have had a great time. I know the competition is very stiff but feel priviledged that she has been.

Good to hear that it benefited your family. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sammyjoanne · 07/07/2022 00:24

@stayingpositiveifpossible glad she had a great time. It will look great on her personal statement as well :)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.