Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Maritime Business

ForAFriend123 · 20/06/2022 06:55

DS is applying for 2023.
Originally he was going to do a Businesd/Marketing type degree but recently saw Maritime Business at Solent or Plymouth.

The course has really sparked his interest and given that 90% of world trade is conducted via sea, it seems a really good path to take.

Not knowing much about it though does anyone have anyone knowledge or experience of Maritime Business?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fucket · 20/06/2022 06:59

Yes I did a similar degree. I ended up working in the industry for a long time. I would advise though that he try to get some work experience as well, possibly with a port agent? That would also stand him in good stead too.

Please
or

PersonaNonGarter · 20/06/2022 07:03

He’ll never be out of work - the industry is crying out for more people (like everywhere).

I agree that he should try to find work experience. Can he get a summer job working on ferries, something like that?

Please
or

ForAFriend123 · 20/06/2022 07:30

Thank you. Sounds very promising!
He is thinking of doing the 4 year with placement course so that would hopefully give him work experience.

Unfortunately we don't live near the coast so relevant summer jobs are really practical but will tell him to start researching.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ForAFriend123 · 20/06/2022 07:31

*aren't really practical

OP's posts:
Please
or

motogirl · 20/06/2022 08:23

Contact the shipping lines, cruise companies and freight forwarders, many do have paid summer internships so worth asking - my db has the summer intern staying with him (he's dbs etc)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.