Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

English as third A Level for medicine?

slowlibutsureli · 05/06/2022 13:36

DC is choosing A Levels and wants to do medicine in future. She's going to do biology and chemistry. She says that lots of unis don't care what the third subject is, and wants to choose English, as it is her favourite subject. I'm aware that some unis do want the third subject to be maths, but even if they don't say that, are they still likely to be biased towards maths if considering two candidates that are otherwise equal? I'm worried she may be putting herself at a disadvantage.

OP's posts:
Please
or

user30 · 05/06/2022 13:38

I know students who have chosen German, History and English as their 3rd choice in recent years. UCAT and BMAT are a lot more important than the 3rd choice. Psychology is very popular as well as maths and PE.

Please
or

mumsneedwine · 05/06/2022 13:39

@slowlibutsureli she is right. No Uni needs maths and some don't even need science A levels (Newcastle 😊). None care what the 3rd one is in and there is no hidden bias. They care about grades and UCAT/BMAT scores.
It's a v good choice of A level for medicine.

Please
or

User76745333 · 05/06/2022 13:41

English language or lit?

Please
or

VorpalSword · 05/06/2022 13:43

She’s right that uni’s are less fussed about the 3rd subject. However, English does have a big coursework element that some students find burdensome. But it does keep options open if she changes her mind.

If an EPQ is an option then I would recommend this in something medical based.

Please
or

KingscoteStaff · 05/06/2022 14:27

DD currently doing Bio, Chem, Eng Lit and loving all 3.

She also chose an EPQ with a medical ethics basis, which she was asked about in all interviews.

Please
or

Sliceofpi · 05/06/2022 14:32

English is a great subject, medicine requires huge amounts of course work and great communication skills. An ability to easily comprehend a subject is an advantage. Source, DC is a Dr and did A level English.

Please
or

notnowbernadette · 05/06/2022 15:56

I think Cambridge is pretty much the only medical school that requires maths. The vast majority have no opinion on the 3rd Alevel subject so going for something you enjoy and will succeed at is the key priority.

Please
or

mumsneedwine · 05/06/2022 16:15

Only 2 colleges at Cambs want maths. Easy to avoid them if you apply there.
To be honest I think Latin would be a v good 3rd - so many weird words in medicine ! For vet med business is the best 3rd.
Always good to talk to current students who can tell you what skills they've actually needed.

Please
or

Lampzade · 05/06/2022 16:24

My friend!’s daughter did Chemistry , Biology and Spanish .

Please
or

mumsneedwine · 05/06/2022 17:11

My daughters friend did chemistry, biology and drama. She's amazing for OSCE practice 😊

Please
or

persephone19 · 15/06/2022 21:55

English is a brilliant subject for medicine. I'm biased as I'm a doctor who had biology chemistry maths at a level. All my interviews asked me about it and I was able to wax lyrical about the patient journey and narrative in medicine. It seemed to go down well and I got no rejections and studied at oxbridge.

A love of literature often correlates to a love of people.

In my role as a medical educator I use texts / films / poetry to bring patients to life and help our juniors with their consultation and communication skills.

Please
or

NoNotHimTheOtherOne · 16/06/2022 17:18

You're reading different books to me. My love of literature correlates with a loathing of people (picture me as Hermann Hesse's Harry the Steppenwolf). Fortunately for everyone, I'm not a doctor.

In my role as a medical educator I use texts / films / poetry to bring patients to life and help our juniors with their consultation and communication skills.

My medical school uses films, and gives poems to students, but we would really struggle to get them to read lengthy texts. It's hard enough to get them to read textbooks. A long time ago I used to have a first-year SSC on Albert Camus's The Plague. I only ever got one student to select it. I decided not to bother trying to do something similar with Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain.

Please
or

User76745333 · 16/06/2022 22:24

blimey, I’d have thought the reverse. I’d far rather read a book than have to mix with actual people

Please
or

SkygardenTower · 18/06/2022 17:22

User76745333 · 16/06/2022 22:24

blimey, I’d have thought the reverse. I’d far rather read a book than have to mix with actual people

A lot of not nice or manipulative people also love books, I’m not sure there is a correlation.

Please
or

GiltEdges · 18/06/2022 17:29

A love of literature often correlates to a love of people

Having studied literature, my personal experience would suggest otherwise.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.