Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

University of York

kinggen · 29/03/2022 22:42

Does anyone have DC there or been there recently? Just wondering what it is like. DD has an offer for this year and was put off by reading the StudentCrowd reviews which mostly talked about the number of ducks and boring students!

OP's posts:
Please
or

fireplacetiles · 29/03/2022 22:46

DD currently completing her masters at York, has loved every minute, great course, lovely campus and city, made friends for life. Loads of part time job opps, easy travel to Leeds if you want bigger city life. She has been very happy there and has a great degree.

Please
or

NuffSaidSam · 29/03/2022 22:46

I went years ago and loved it, but there are loads of ducks (lovely) and swans (evil). And I am quite dull.

Please
or

Ellmau · 30/03/2022 01:14

It's the geese who are evil.

Please
or

Moominmammacat · 30/03/2022 09:46

It's glorious! Fantastic city and from our experience, supportive uni in times of crisis, excellent teaching. Couldn't recommend it more. It doesn't have the airs and graces of some silly unis.

Please
or

vjg13 · 31/03/2022 14:36

Amongst my daughter's friends the consensus is that it is one of the more boring ones. She has a friend who is in her first year there but may transfer (not related to it being "boring" though!)

Please
or

lighterskies · 31/03/2022 14:42

It is the geese not ducks that are an issue.
It isn't a Uni for nightlife particularly, it never has been.
The city is lovely ( if tiny) and for students who want a slightly quieter campus style experience I would recommend it.

If you want a city university with more emphasis on nightlife then I would pick somewhere else.

Please
or

PacificState · 31/03/2022 16:05

I mean, I went and I'm not boring and nor are my friends (honest). Seriously, it's obviously dumb to write off any uni on the basis that its students are 'boring' - that's just mad. There are thousands of people there - if someone finds them all 'boring' I don't think it's the uni that has a problem...

It was a lot smaller when I went but it's not, as others have said, a bright lights big city place. When we were there that actually meant a fair amount of creativity (really well executed student drama, radio and TV stations, people starting nightclub nights etc - a rather lovely and purposeful DIY ethic that led to some incredibly successful careers in arts and media). And very close friendships that have lasted for decades.

If clubbing and nightlife and shopping and restaurants are your thing, then nah.

Please
or

Jng1 · 31/03/2022 16:56

Family member went there in last few years and has loved it!
As others have said, if you want to spend your entire university life clubbing in an alcohol and drug-fuelled haze then it's probably not your first choice, but there's enough nightlife for those that want it and plenty of restaurants, culture, cinema etc. Easy access to Leeds/ Newcastle etc too.

Neither of mine went to big city unis and I was kind of pleased really. as I think it's easy to feel lost & lonely if you don't find your group of friends in first year.

Please
or

yellowsuninthesky · 01/04/2022 19:33

I did a postgrad in York and really liked it. My son is in the first year there now. He is very happy, has made good friends and has gone over to Leeds a couple of times, it's an easy trip on the train if you want the bright lights.

Please
or

beethecrackon24995 · 01/04/2022 22:52

Dd is in her first year there and loves it. She is far from boring but I do believe that your view on life there would depend on how ie lucky you have been with being part of a close friendship group. Tbh I am pleased she isn't at a few specific unis that have reputations for a lot of drugs etc. She goes clubbing/to the pub here and there as they have their favourite ones. She loves her course which is obviously important (English). As for the ducks, they are lovely. I've been honoured to meet Sir Long Boi who is their mascot as well as Golden Girl. Also, according to dd York has again been voted safest place to be at night (or something like that).

Please
or

JoanThursday · 01/04/2022 22:59

I work there! I may be biased, but I don't think it's boring at all - and I'm sure many of our students would agree. Come for a visit: attend an open day or ask for an independent visit from the department(s) that interest your DD. Perhaps stay for the weekend and explore York itself. So many colleagues came to uni here and simply stayed - there must be something in that! Wink

Please
or

Malteser71 · 01/04/2022 23:16

My dd is considering applying there.

She’s studious, quiet, loves musical theatre, up for nights out but definitely prefers something more low key, would hate clubbing.

This sounds ideal???

Please
or

GiantCheeseMonster · 01/04/2022 23:36

I went to York. I loved the city, but the campus itself is further out than you think so it was easy to spend days there in the concrete jungle (a more 60s plate-glass campus you’d struggle to find). That said, I made good friends and enjoyed the experience. I had crap teaching, but it was 20+ years ago and I’m sure it’s better now. I do politely tell them where to go when they phone me and ask me for money to support new students though.

Please
or

backtobusy · 01/04/2022 23:38

DH and I met there nearly 30 years ago.
Went back to live there and have a family. Have left again but think it is a great place and have great memories of the Uni.

I think it would suit @Malteser71 dc pretty well and she doesn't sound at all.

Please
or

Malteser71 · 01/04/2022 23:42

She’s just definitely not a clubber!

Please
or

JoanThursday · 01/04/2022 23:42

@GiantCheeseMonster

I went to York. I loved the city, but the campus itself is further out than you think so it was easy to spend days there in the concrete jungle (a more 60s plate-glass campus you’d struggle to find). That said, I made good friends and enjoyed the experience. I had crap teaching, but it was 20+ years ago and I’m sure it’s better now. I do politely tell them where to go when they phone me and ask me for money to support new students though.

There are lots of new buildings on the original campus now (now Campus West). There is a new campus past Heslington Church on Field Lane (Campus East): the oldest buildings There are only 10yo, and two new colleges have just been built.
Please
or

daffyduckyduck · 01/04/2022 23:48

Just to add - I'm from York and I absolutely love my hometown. I can't recommend the uni as I've not attended but York as a whole is a fantastic place to live. Like pps said, not great on the night life but more importantly pretty safe, low crime rate, people are lovely and there's so much history! Plenty of bars, shops etc for work (if needs be and able to fit around studies), good transport - especially to the uni. Ans again, not far from Leeds at all if you want to go abit wild. 25/30 mins in the train.

Good luck

Please
or

kinggen · 02/04/2022 08:41

Thanks so much for interesting range of comments. She is very keen on York. The distance seems to be the biggest issue now. Currently weighing it up against Birmingham which is only 2 hours from home.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bananarama21 · 02/04/2022 08:50

I went there loved every minute, wasn't remotely boring it was the people that made it.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 02/04/2022 09:01

@kinggen
Campus universities tend to feel more “boring” because there are no entertainment venues within walking distance. You cannot just pop out for the evening. If takes planningvyo get to Leeds. Therefore students that want a broader social life go to university in Leeds! Ditto Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle etc. I do think students divide themselves into city vs campus.

As for drugs etc. Dream on. All universities have students who take drugs recreationally. Don’t delude yourself that this doesn’t exist in York. It’s easy to avoid though. Just like getting drunk at student parties is avoidable. But if DD wants a broader spectrum of entertainment within easy reach and students who want a city life, look elsewhere. Anyone who loves a unibersity because of geese and ducks is boring!

Please
or

inevitablytired · 02/04/2022 09:17

I went to university of York about 5 years ago and loved it. It is a great mix of a campus university but easy to get into the city centre, buses ran frequently through the day and night. It had lots of great amenities and was very friendly. I think the colleges help with the spirit. I think the night life is what you make of it, I had friends who went out every night to the different clubs, they aren't massive but you can still have fun! There are good societies too.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 03/04/2022 08:58

DD has just formed York. She had offers from Leeds, Bath and Manchester too but had a safe feeling about York as we’ve been there a few times as a family. She likes a night out and some clubbing and York has plenty enough for her as we come from a smaller town anyway so anything would be an improvement!!. We went to an open day back in October and although the campus is further out it had a nice feel and we saw the regular buses going back and forth to the city. Older DD is at Durham which is smaller than York and they have 2 or 3 clubs and they have a whale of a time even though the clubs aren’t great because the students make it.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 03/04/2022 08:58

Firmed not formed.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 03/04/2022 09:01

Me and DH met there many years ago
Loved the campus (even the evil geese) but it wasn’t really much for clubbing. We used to go to Leeds or back home for a big night outv

Please
or

beenrumbled · 03/04/2022 09:05

We were at an applicant offer holder day for York (and one for Lancaster).

DD is not a party animal, so we quizzed all the students about nightlife. All said the same (at both universities). Plenty of night life on campus and easy access to the city for those who want more. But those who want a quieter life are happy too!

DD has a dilemma now as she loved both campuses (after originally wanting a city campus!!)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.