Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Why don't the female only colleges at Cambridge offer Education as a course?

henriettahatt · 22/01/2022 08:05

Hi,

DD2 is aspiring to Cambridge, and likes the idea of a female only college.

She wants to study Education, but neither Newnham or Murray Edwards offer it.

We're intrigued as to why this might be; is there some history, or simply down to staffing? DD can't be the only one who would prefer a female only college.

Is it just a coincidence that both the colleges not offering this course are female only?

Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lovecatsanddogs · 22/01/2022 08:27

I think it is a coincidence as there are several who do not offer education. With the education faculty being based out near Homerton it would be a long way away to be based at these two. If you haven't seen this already this may be helpful to you.
www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Please
or

Palavah · 22/01/2022 08:30

Do most of the other colleges offer it? I thought most didn't.

Please
or

Mumoftwoinprimary · 22/01/2022 08:34

When I went —in the 90s— a few years ago now, only Homerton offered education at undergraduate level. (And the one person I knew who was doing post grad teacher training was at Homerton - but one is not a very big sample!)

Sounds like some other colleges have chosen to start doing it too but not all. (My old one isn’t.)

If she wants women only, then Homerton will be very female dominated. However, I’m not sure you get the full “Cambridge experience” at Homerton the way you do in other colleges.

Please
or

Lovecatsanddogs · 22/01/2022 08:34

From website.

Colleges
Available at all Colleges except Corpus Christi, Girton, King’s, Murray Edwards, Newnham, Peterhouse, St Catharine’s, Sidney Sussex, Trinity and Trinity Hall (Education, English, Drama and the Arts track not available at Emmanuel)

Please
or

henriettahatty · 22/01/2022 08:39

Ah ok, thank you, we didn't realise that only Homerton has offered it until recently and others were now starting to, that makes more sense.

Is Homerton really too far out? We're going to have a wander around Cambridge in a few weeks, and it doesn't look that far?

Please
or

LizzieBananas · 22/01/2022 08:39

This is because the vast majority are at Homerton.

Even at PGCE level, where your college barely matters, three-quarters of our course were at Homerton. I do remember them offering female only halls if that was your issue.

Please
or

Lovecatsanddogs · 22/01/2022 08:42

It is quite far out and the road for cycling is much busier. I would have a look at Downing, Christs, Pembroke maybe.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 22/01/2022 19:46

@Lovecatsanddogs

It is quite far out and the road for cycling is much busier. I would have a look at Downing, Christs, Pembroke maybe.

According to the Cambridge interactive graph generator, each of those only offers one or two places for education.

www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 22/01/2022 19:53

Isn't the faculty of education near Homerton, so from that perspective it's the other colleges which are distant?

Please
or

Haus1234 · 22/01/2022 19:56

The education faculty / Homerton is on completely the other side of Cambridge to Murray Edward’s so the distance between the two is pretty far. Girton and Homerton are both generally considered “far out” colleges and most other colleges are much closer together, as well as closer to faculties and to the city centre.

Please
or

Tenpintonpin · 22/01/2022 20:21

I did my PGCE in Cambridge (many years ago, so things may well be different now). Some of the school placements were over an hour away. Bus transport was provided, but it left early in the morning (7ish) from Homerton. I was at a College on the far side of Cambridge, which meant I had to go racing across town at 6.30am on a clapped out old bike to catch the bus, and do the reverse journey in the dark in the evening when I was knackered. It was do-able, but in retrospect I probably would have chosen somewhere a bit closer!

Please
or

SeasonFinale · 26/01/2022 17:27

Homerton isn't really far out - it just isn't central. It takes about 20-25 minutes to walk from Homerton into town.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.