Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Student finance question

crazycrofter · 29/12/2021 01:13

Can anyone confirm whether student finance amounts are based on your gross income (ie what you get before pension contributions are deducted) or taxable income (gross income less pension contributions)? I happen to have to pay pension contributions of nearly 10% of my income - no choice over that - so I’m hoping it’s taxable income not gross.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NinaProudman2022 · 29/12/2021 13:32

Look on the calculator on the direct gov website as that should give you an idea (although it won’t be updated for 2022 entry yet but the basics will be the same).

Please
or

OnTheBenchOfDoom · 30/12/2021 12:41

@crazycrofter from that .gov form is says household income and then "This is your parents’ or partner’s taxable income plus your own"

Please
or

OnTheBenchOfDoom · 30/12/2021 12:51

I haven't seen on any website anything other than household income, no mention of pension contributions etc just what I assumed was always gross income before any reductions.

ie www.savethestudent.org/student-finance/maintenance-loans.html

Please
or

Umbongoumbongo999 · 30/12/2021 12:54

Money saving expert has a take home pay calculator. This will be based on your individual income, not your household income

Please
or

crazycrofter · 30/12/2021 20:25

It’s not that clear is it, but taxable income definitely means your income after pension contributions but before tax is deducted.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HewasH2O · 30/12/2021 21:07

It's definitely 100% taxable income, not gross. That includes dividends, rental income etc.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.