Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Glasgow Uni - Biological Sciences

KittyMcKitty · 18/10/2021 13:39

Hi all

DC is in year 12 but just starting to look at Uni’s. She’s interested in Biological Sciences - either a broad based degree or possibly something more along the microbiology lines. She would ideally like it to encompass some Biochemistry.

She thinks Glasgow looks good from a course / city perspective- does anyone have any recent experience of the Uni? They look to have a decent number of lab hours.

She’s also interested in UCL and has discounted Imperial (wants a Uni with all types of courses / people) and Exeter (too in the middle of nowhere). She has considered Oxford but currently thinks she’s not clever enough for them.

Are there any other Uni’s people would recommend? (Ds is doing Philosophy and Politics so we don’t have any experience of Biology).

She'd like a Uni in a largeish city with theatres / galleries / bands playing etc etc.

Obv it’s v early days in year 12 but she has 8’s & 9’s (and a 7 in French) at gcse - these are not inflated grades, her school if anything graded very harshly and based on my older child / experience I would expect her to be predicted / attain a minimum of AAA. She’s also doing an EPQ and BTec in Tech Theatre.

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

readsalotgirl63 · 18/10/2021 13:57

Have no experience of biological sciences but was an undergrad at Glasgow hundreds of years ago and dd graduated this year.

Glasgow is a great city and the West End where the university is situated is very vibrant - lots of bars, venues etc and good transport connections to the city centre. Pre lockdown dd had a great time socially.

Its also easy to get out of the city to countryside/seaside and I know dd's flatmate has recently been hillwalking/climbing with university groups.

hope that helps

Please
or

readsalotgirl63 · 18/10/2021 13:59

Should say dd flatmate is a postgrad student in a biological science and has been attending labs since last September.

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 18/10/2021 14:03

Thank you - that all sounds great. She’s really impressed with what she’s found out about the Uni so far.

Out of interest do they get many people from England at the Uni (we’re in the SE) - not that it matters either way.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AlphabetAerobics · 18/10/2021 14:08

Strathclyde has some very interesting biological science degrees might be worth looking at.

Please
or

weegiemum · 18/10/2021 14:09

Glasgow is a great city to be a student in. We live there, dd1 has moved out and is at the School of Art. She's in third year and having a ball (but still comes round with washing or just when we're about to go to Asda!).

There's lots on, loads of gigs are starting again and the city is a great place to live culturally. Round the uni there's everything you could wish for.

Dd1 has made some great friends and there seem to be a fair few English folks doing Art at least. The uni certainly seems to attract people from all over.

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 18/10/2021 14:18

@AlphabetAerobics thank you - will suggest she looks at Strathclyde also.

@weegiemum thank you - it sounds like a fantastic city and Uni and would certainly meet all her needs! The only downside is the distance and cost of travel.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ElizaDarcysDeeds · 18/10/2021 14:23

My friends studied sciences at Glasgow and both went on to successful careers in their field. The courses are well respected.

There are lots of English students. In most of my classes (when I was there many years ago!) the majority of students were English.

In fact there was an article in The Telegraph about the schools that put most students into RG universities and although it didn't include Glasgow (some of the RG use a central admissions hub that makes it more difficult to provide a breakdown) you can see from the Edinburgh figures that there are a high number of English students at Scottish universities.

Please
or

Fruitygal · 28/10/2021 23:29

My DD looking at biological sciences for 2022 do we’ve been to a lot of unis as wasn’t sure where she wanted to go. What A levels is she doing? Most biology courses are fairly generic in their 1st year - with a biochemistry module in the mix. Subsequent years are where you see a lot of difference in courses so worth reading module guides carefully. Apart from the London unis and Oxbridge and Durham ( looking for at least AAA -A*AA) most are looking for AAB with a single grade drop for an EPQ available at a fair few but not all which takes requirements to ABB. Does she prefer campus or town? I think it’s a perfect time to start looking as you are not in a rush.

Please
or

YerAWizardHarry · 28/10/2021 23:31

Has your daughter considered the extra year of study that comes with a Scottish degree? Might be a deal breaker for some

Please
or

ClerkMaxwell · 29/10/2021 07:41

Glasgow used to allow second year entry to Biological Sciences degrees with certain A levels and grades.

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 29/10/2021 09:05

Hi thanks for the new comments. @Fruitygal she’s doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology- school wanted her to do Maths but she really hates it so knows her choice ruled out some biochemistry courses and biomedical. Shes not keen on plant biology either so the human biology course at Glasgow looks great.

She wants a buzzy, fun town with lots going on and a diverse cohort. She isn’t keen on places like Exeter and Bath as she feels they are too similar to where we live. She really doesn’t like the idea of St Andrews and feels with Edinburgh she’d have to travel to Glasgow for gigs etc so not keen. She’d always wanted Oxford but has recently gone off it feeling it’s too elitist and she wouldn’t fit in. Oh and not Imperial as that’s only science!

So she’s fussy Smile the list is currently UCL, Glasgow and possibly Birmingham arriving as a surprise contender as the buildings look fab (this is important) and her brother has friends there who think it’s fab. I’ve suggested Leeds possibly. Manchester is off the list as her brother will be there.

@YerAWizardHarry 4 years no problem- she was probably going to apply for MSci in English Uni’s.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fruitygal · 29/10/2021 10:19

@KittyMcKitty great A levels and Biology and Chemistry mean that all Biology courses are open to her. My DD hates Chemistry but school were keen as she was a 9. She has done Bio, Maths, Geography and Economics instead. Loves animal biology over plant. They sound similar! 😂 she ruled out some places because they didn’t feel right? She liked Birmingham uni campus but not the course.

Considered Human sciences at Oxford but discounted over the summer as felt even with fab predicted it was still going to be a lottery and didn’t want it that much. (I’m happy as the last 2mths have been stressful with EPQ etc and I think prep and then tests and possibly interviews it would have taken her to the edge) Her plan is if she fancies an MSc she’ll apply to Oxbridge then. Wants BSc with year abroad first ( I blame covid for the wanderlust 😂😂). She liked York as campus and city had a nice buzz and accommodation on East was modern. London was ruled out as too busy, expensive and close to home but maybe ok for a MSc.

Leeds and Sheffield have good nightlife Leeds more so - but Leeds BioSciences department is reported as going to be losing 50% of budget?! (let’s hope they change that decision). Newcastle is a buzzing but DD more clubbing than gigs so was discounted. Sheffield discounted as wasn’t sure about accommodation but went back and looked at modules after discounting in summer and added it to form? Bristol has a buzz but didn’t like the course (I thought it looked great?) Manchester is great and probably your DD would never see her brother?

Please
or

ISpyCobraKai · 29/10/2021 10:21

This is what Dd wants to do and is going to apply for, she already lives in Glasgow though and her BF is already a 4th year there.

Please
or

Fruitygal · 29/10/2021 10:23

@KittyMcKitty that should read …Newcastle was more clubbing and DD likes gigs

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 29/10/2021 11:00

@Fruitygal that’s useful to know about Leeds as that would be a massive cut! She thinks York is too like home and I’m slightly worried about the accommodation problem although that should be solved by the time she goes.

Will give Newcastle a look.

I think it’s also important that there’s a strong lesbian community where she goes although Inimagine this would be the case at all universities.

I am trying to get her to look at Manchester as it is unlikely she’d see her brother (he’s doing politics and philosophy) and even if she did they’re v close but I think she wants something just for her.

Glasgow really has everything- the modules look great too. The only downside is the distance (we are in the SE) and I guess snob value of league tables.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fruitygal · 29/10/2021 12:16

@KittyMcKitty in terms of LGBTQ+ only heard positive about York, Oxford, Manchester where DC’s LGB friends have gone. I imagine most big city unis are going to be welcoming but worth them looking on uni chats to make sure. One of DS1 friends went to Exeter main campus and struggled with it but another went to Penryn campus and had a fab time.

Glasgow is 5 and 7 in the league tables for biosciences!! So sounds like a fab choice. Is it a Biology or human biology course or something different?

DD is at a grammar and friends are doing Oxbridge or RGs but plenty doing other courses like animation and paramedic medicine that can’t be done at RGs in the main. Think there is too much obsession with league tables.

Please
or

thing47 · 29/10/2021 12:28

Hi OP, my DD did that exact combination of A levels, school also tried to persuade her to do maths but she wasn't keen Smile and much preferred human to plant biology…

She did biomed at NTU, and loved Nottingham, buzzy city, lots going on (we are in the SE too but most of her university friends are northerners), partying and gigs aplenty – social life and sport was as important to her as academics.

Then she did a Masters at LSHTM (no partying, serious study!) which she also really enjoyed. She thought it looked better for CV to actively choose a different university for her MSc rather than just stay another year at the same place – maybe a consideration?

I don't know Glasgow from a studying point of view but niece and bf (who are both essentially microbiologists and very into music) live and work near the city and love it there.

Please
or

Stopyourhavering64 · 29/10/2021 12:51

Best friend at school did joint honours Biology and Geography at Glasgow , now a very well respected research scientist at Internationally acclaimed research centre...great city
Also take a look at Dundee Uni for biological sciences...rates very highly and has a fantastic new purpose built department and offers a vast selection of courses
Campus is a v short walk to city centre , v safe city and cheap to live ...loads of student accommodation . V easy to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow
www.dundee.ac.uk/subjects/biological-sciences-and-biomedical-sciences
Very strong LGBTQ+ scene dd made some lovely friends there
Also great bursaries available...£2k non means tested bursary just for choosing Dundee

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 29/10/2021 18:18

@Fruitygal you’re totally right it’s a great choice and highly ranked - I’ve spent too many years in MN clearly! Dc says lots of people she knows are thinking of Edinburgh or St Andrews but not Glasgow.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fruitygal · 29/10/2021 18:55

@KittyMcKitty i was on MN many many years ago and only recently returned - between myself, DH and 3DCs through work and study We’ve covered unis from vocational mid pile to top five and everything in between. Also covered as a family everything from comp, grammar and private. Plus covered with DCs - SEN, illness and covid stress. So I think being happy with your course and uni, supported in your studies while developing from teen to adult and finding your tribe is so important. Trends in popular unis come and go currently Scotland is featuring heavily in several of DDs friends choices. We have a friends who’s really lovely DD got an offer from Glasgow last week!! Fingers crossed for your DD when the time comes. We are in SE too so super hard when they are picking distant places (all our DDs are 2hrs plus) but worth it if she’s happy x

Please
or

readsalotgirl63 · 29/10/2021 20:30

Glasgow has tons of fabulous buildings if that's a requirement.

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 29/10/2021 21:32

@readsalotgirl63

Glasgow has tons of fabulous buildings if that's a requirement.

It’s a very important requirement!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 30/10/2021 14:38

Glasgow definitely is more Scottish in uni population than Edinburgh or St Andrews , so that's probably why friends are considering it. My DS has been eyeing courses at both Edinburgh and Glasgow but I do think distance will rule them both out in the end. A shame really. I wasn't too sure about quality and location of main accommodation at Glasgow either tbh.

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 30/10/2021 14:38

Aren't not are!

Please
or

Mum5net · 30/10/2021 17:40

One of mine completed five years on a biomedical degree at UofG recently? Would they recommend? No. Loads of malaise from teaching staff. Never listening to valid feedback about course exams. Successive year groups complaining about same things six years running. Check out if study abroad year is in 2nd or 3rd year. If 2nd year they have to submit their ideas in first term of first year before they have sat any exams or made proper friendships.
Glasgow is grimy city. Accommodation is patchy. Links to SE are reasonable but v slow at weekend if you don’t fly. Check out if study abroad year is in 2nd or 3rd year. If 2nd year they have to submit their ideas in first term of first year before they have sat any exams or made proper friendships.
Edinburgh better on many counts if your DD heart set on Scotland.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.