Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Studying at Sussex, Canterbury or UEA? Psychology in particular

Appuskidu · 02/10/2021 11:52

DC is keen to do psychology and has Birmingham as the first choice, but is looking at applying to one of the above as an insurance place. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what the units are like to live in? Halls costs? Housing costs in the 2/3rd year? Fun things to do? Or anything specific about the psychology course?

Any info gratefully received!

OP's posts:
Please
or

boys3 · 02/10/2021 14:00

DS2 in third year at UEA, different subject.

It has proved to be the right choice for him.

Norwich is a lovely little city, plenty to do but obviously much smaller than Brum.

UEA campus is very green, lovely lake, most of the first year accommodation there, or across the road. An affinity for concrete could be desirable. The student rag is called concrete confessions.

From memory all the halls are self-catered, but reasonably priced. The Ziggurats are iconic and cheapest; Barton Hickling the newest, for campus at least, and most expensive. £6.2k in DS2’s first year, but for this year probably now nearer to 7k than 6k.

Seemed to be plentiful choice for second and third year accommodation. DS2 paid for 2nd year house around £400 per month including bills, and was no more than 15 min walk from campus.

More country living this year, with larger house but rent quite a bit lower. Downside is that nearest big supermarket is a Waitrose. Smile

There is a specific UEA thread so some on there may have a DC doing the same course that yours is looking at.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 02/10/2021 17:59

Sussex and Brighton is much livlier! Friends DS did Psychology at Leeds. Not sure what grades they want but the city is great. If he likes Brum I’m not sure Canterbury would be varied/big enough.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 02/10/2021 18:01

Also look at Surrey in Guildford if he’s prepared to be in Norwich and Canterbury.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 02/10/2021 19:37

DS2 has just started at UEA and is housed in the Ziggurats (which was the icing on the cake for himSmile). Certainly cheaper than either of his siblings' first year accommodation at Birmingham, but not actually the cheapest on- / near campus accommodation this year; I'm wondering whether they have performed some kind of averaging procedure on the rent for the Zigs to reflect the fact that all rooms are being used as single occupancy? Anyway, also being familiar with Birmingham and Brighton, DS2 absolutely adores Norwich. More 'quirky' than the 'in your face alternative' of Brighton, I think. Sussex was his insurance, though.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 03/10/2021 13:00

Why Canterbury CC instead of Kent? The latter is a more traditional 1960’s campus Uni with great facilities. Lots of campus halls but quite spendy, off campus about £100 per week.

Please
or

toothpicklover · 03/10/2021 13:03

Sussex is very very woke.
It’s London prices in regards to accommodation and for social stuff.
Very lively though and I love living in Sussex.

Please
or

jesper1 · 03/10/2021 13:09

My daughter went to Surrey for the same course and I honestly can't recommend it. She had some mental health issues and they offered no support at all. Her advisor laughed in her face
She withdrew and restarted last year at UEA
It was a late decision so she ended up in the cheapest accommodation wolfson but it was OK and she loves it there. Considering she started last year and half the year was at home it speaks volumes
Back now living in Nowrich and loving it
Also worth looking at who is doing face to face now. She is having psychology lectures and seminars face to face with just the odd lecture online

Please
or

3teens2cats · 03/10/2021 13:15

Eldest ds went to uea and fell in love with Norwich so much he has settled there permanently. It's a cool, quirky city. Big enough for there to be lots to do but not overwhelming.

Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 03/10/2021 13:16

Canterbury (UKC) campus is great. And easy walking distance into town and/or a quick bus ride to the coast (Whitstable). Pre-Brexit, you could pop over to France just as quickly as you could be in London.

Not the cheapest though. After 1st year in halls, lots of students move out to live on the coast in Whitstable or Herne Bay, or in Canterbury itself.

Please
or

mumsiedarlingrevolta · 03/10/2021 13:19

Another parent of happy UEA student-in third year but probably staying for Masters.

Norwich brilliant and really positive experience with support from advisor/lecturers/dept head. Can't recommend highly enough.
Think it is a bit of a hidden gem really.

Had a DC in Brighton for Uni and was a total disaster- little to no support from Uni, very very expensive to live and was very unhappy experience.

Please
or

3teens2cats · 03/10/2021 13:20

Just to add, we also looked at Sussex too but it had a bit of vibe about it which didn't suit him. Felt a bit elitist whereas uea felt more inclusive. Same offer grades, just the vibes we got.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 03/10/2021 16:45

@HundredMilesAnHour UKC is University of Kent not Canterbury Christ Church University, which is what I interpreted OP as referring to

Please
or

Appuskidu · 03/10/2021 17:08

[quote VanCleefArpels]@HundredMilesAnHour UKC is University of Kent not Canterbury Christ Church University, which is what I interpreted OP as referring to[/quote]
Oh, sorry-it was the university of Kent I was referring to!

OP's posts:
Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 03/10/2021 21:07

Well I thought the initial reference to Canterbury was a bit rude if the mark given the other options! Kent is a great Uni, v easy to get to off the motorway network too if that’s important to you, also good train connection to London

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 03/10/2021 21:08

Wide of the mark not rude!!

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 03/10/2021 21:23

Can I say my friend’s DD did Psychology at Surrey and loved it. Sometimes students don’t have a great experience but most do.

Please
or

honkytonkheroe · 04/10/2021 22:09

DD has just started at Uni of Birmingham for Psychology and so far loves it. The campus is so pretty and she’s done well with her flatmates. Her insurance was Southampton. My niece went to Surrey (a quiet, studious but sociable girl) and she told DD that it was too quiet there, no nightlife at all and advised against applying. We took this seriously as if it was too quiet for her, we felt that there must be something in it.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 04/10/2021 22:26

Well it’s horses for courses isn’t it? My DDs would have swerved Surrey too for the reason states. Too quiet. However a pp above said it was dreadful. I merely pointed out some love it. The DD I referred to was from a somewhat over protective family though!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.