Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

(Very) mature student seeking advice.

tearsonmypillowpaininmyheart · 17/06/2021 10:04

Hi I'm an almost 42 year old. This year I went back to study after contracting illness that made me give up work 3 years ago.
I did very very well in my studies I did an access to social sciences and came away with 83% overall. For comparison 75% is the equivalent of 3 A's at A level.
I have a strong background in support work and working with people needing support into employment and initially my goal was to get into social work. However the competition for places meant I passed the interview but not enough to gain a place and everyone now says I have had a lucky escape.
I've applied to law with the intention of doing a post grad in access to justice to help people who cannot afford legal services. However I am a mum to 4 kids one with additional needs and I am told law is very intense.
I am also interested in the allied health route in particular speech and language physio and OT and I can apply to them for 2022 knowing my grades are now high enough.
I'm not sure what I'm asking really as a mature student looking job security and an interesting career would allied health be doable with children? Has anyone studied and progressed later in life and worried about making a wrong choice?

OP's posts:
Please
or

NanBoleyn · 17/06/2021 10:24

Hi OP
I can’t comment on the health side but I do teach law at both undergrad and postgrad level.
In the last few years I’ve taught lots of mature (and very mature!) students and my experience is that there are absolutely opportunities available in the legal sector. Last year I taught two students in their 50s who both had training contracts lined up with national law firms.
Best of luck!

Please
or

HappilyHadesBound · 17/06/2021 10:26

I'm 38 and just finishing a psychology degree- I've applied for social work masters though and now you have me worried 😂

Please
or

tearsonmypillowpaininmyheart · 17/06/2021 10:45

Try not and worry, I'm in NI and places are limited and huge number of applicants.
Thanks for reassuring me about law the actual contact time is more than manageable it's more the you have to spend hours self studying that was worrying me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jasminoide · 18/06/2021 07:47

OP I would skip law and go for an allied health care discipline instead. You get your fees paid for you at UU and a bursary. It will be tough going with placements etc but I still feel easier than if you were to go into a training contract.
Well done on your amazing results!

Please
or

FuckMyLife2021 · 18/06/2021 07:50

I’m 34, single with 3DC, have been studying for 3 years now (including an Access year, my DC were 8/6/1 when I started that). STEM.

It’s exhausting. But I love it.

I’ve currently had to suspend my studies for a year due to the health/needs of my middle DC, so I’d say be prepared for needing to do this at any point. Hopefully she will be well enough for me to start my final year in October 2022.

Please
or

Northernsoullover · 18/06/2021 07:51

Which university is your nearest? I did a degree in Environmental Health and got a well paid job as a result. I'm older than you. I know the university of ulster offers the course. Social sciences is the correct pathway.
It is the most interesting and diverse degree and it offers 5 career paths.

Please
or

burnoutbabe · 18/06/2021 07:57

Law is a lot of reading, I am doing a degree in it at 48. But just for interest, being a junior, getting a training contract and doing grunt work for a few years doesn't appeal.

And it's best if you have an interest and enjoy the subject, makes it less of a chore to spend weekends reading about registered land or trusts. So I'd not to law if no interest. (I also have no kids so could study as much as I wanted to)

Please
or

FuckMyLife2021 · 18/06/2021 09:20

@burnoutbabe

Law is a lot of reading, I am doing a degree in it at 48. But just for interest, being a junior, getting a training contract and doing grunt work for a few years doesn't appeal.

And it's best if you have an interest and enjoy the subject, makes it less of a chore to spend weekends reading about registered land or trusts. So I'd not to law if no interest. (I also have no kids so could study as much as I wanted to)

Agree re subject. I have 30 contact hours plus another 20 compulsory outside reading and I spend every spare minute doing more on the niche stuff that I love.

If you don’t like it you’ll find it a real grind.
Please
or

HeReWeGoAgAiN1112 · 18/06/2021 09:33

I am starting Midwifery in September at the age of almost 38. Ill be almost 41 by the time I qualify.

I say follow your dreams! You did great in Access! I got 45/45 distinctions and I am ready and raring to go.

Please
or

tearsonmypillowpaininmyheart · 18/06/2021 15:25

@Northernsoullover

Which university is your nearest? I did a degree in Environmental Health and got a well paid job as a result. I'm older than you. I know the university of ulster offers the course. Social sciences is the correct pathway.
It is the most interesting and diverse degree and it offers 5 career paths.

Hi, I emailed ulster about the environmental health as I thought it sounded interesting. Admissions said I didn't have enough science in my access to apply.
OP's posts:
Please
or

memberofthewedding · 18/06/2021 16:20

I returned to education in my 40s when my qualifications in my first profession (librarianship) became devalued due to structural changes. I did a series of qualifications at a RG uni (psychology 1st; followed by a masters and doctorate in human computer interaction.). Forged a later career as an academic. This was back in the 1980s /90s.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.