Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Durham uni - which college?

NCTDN · 01/05/2021 22:33

How do you decide which college is the one to apply for? As a parent it's all very confusing!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Longtimenewsee · 01/05/2021 23:20

Hi
They don’t need to decide on only 1college ... they just need to rank them ( as many as you like) in order of preference. So 1-16. Your dc might want to consider catered or non catered, a hill or Bailey college, what societies and clubs might be available or even whether they want gowned formals or not .
However it seems ( from what I read on here) that student seems very happy with their allocated college even if they don’t get their first choice so my dc decided not to worry about it too much .

Please
or

Longtimenewsee · 01/05/2021 23:27

Please
or

MidLifeCrisis007 · 02/05/2021 09:07

DS applied to Durham for 2020 and 2021 entry. Last year he just put his preferred college (as was required then) - he didn't get it, and ended up being allocated to a Hill college (he wanted the Bailey). This year, he diligently ranked all the colleges.... and didn't get any of his top choices.... and has ended up getting allocated to the same Hill college as last year. Lightening does strike twice! He's not planning a second gap year so will be going there in September!

FWIW, the more scenic colleges typically have a lot of shared rooms and less en suite facilities and are catered. If you want your own room and an en suite, best to go for a newer Hill college. Also the Hill colleges are nearer the science block. Oh and Hill & Bede is miles from anywhere (relatively speaking anyway).

Please
or

Cranky2day · 02/05/2021 09:16

Useful thread for us too.Longtimenewsee that guide was helpful. It seems many the colleges are pitching themselves to particular types of students ... I picked out "the sporty one", "the social justice one", "the particularly diverse one", "the gay-pride one" ... I suppose that makes it easier, though perhaps it shouldn't. I'm sure my son will want catered but no formal gowns, so that helps the choice too as there's a handy table at the top.

Please
or

Meery · 02/05/2021 09:23

My only advice would be to not get too hung up on choosing the ‘right’ college as the allocation is a lottery and your child may be allocated to any of the colleges, with no option to change save for medical reasons. It is often said that whichever college they land at they will love. Putting a lot of thought into this process may only lead to disappointment when they are allocated to a college they had not even considered!

Please
or

Longtimenewsee · 02/05/2021 10:41

Exactly @Meery . My dd did actually get their first choice for this September so was v lucky but after reading up on them all she said she would be happy at any of them . They all sound fab Smile

Please
or

chopc · 02/05/2021 12:44

This is how my DS chose: catered/ non catered
Amongst the catered he chose according to his interests and the facilities of the college. We will only find out in Sept if he was right in his perceptions.

However there were about 7/8 colleges he would have been happy at

Please
or

Cranky2day · 02/05/2021 12:57

@chopc, that's interesting that they only confirm the college in September. That's different to Oxbridge isn't it? My (limited) understanding is that from Oxbridge you get an offer from a particular college, so you know where you're potentially headed much earlier, grades permitting.

Please
or

MargaretThursday · 02/05/2021 13:26

If you don't achieve your offer, but they offer you a place anyway, then you may be moved college. It's to try and keep numbers even across subjects I think.

Dd was really upset when she got an email after accepting her place (having missed her offer by 1 mark, which then got put up on appeal, but I suspect that would have made no difference) saying they could move her college if necessary. However everyone in the same position as her was told that, and she tells me that almost everyone did get their college.
She also found out she was in her 1st choice college by the weekend, so only had a couple of days to worry.

Please
or

chopc · 02/05/2021 14:05

Sorry @Cranky2day . DS got his first choice college at Durham. What I meant was we will only know when he starts there if his perceptions or ideas when choosing it was correct

Please
or

Cranky2day · 02/05/2021 14:17

Ah, that makes sense Thanks for clarifying.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.