Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Activities this summer for someone potentially applying for Maths at Cambridge 2022

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 16:23

Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks so much.

OP's posts:
Please
or

toffeebutterpopcorn · 12/04/2021 16:25

Like work experience?

Please
or

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 16:29

Yes, like work experience, courses, etc

OP's posts:
Please
or

titchy · 12/04/2021 16:54

Olympiads and STEP practice. Followed by some more STEP, then some more.

Please
or

thesandwich · 12/04/2021 16:56

Problem solving matters led by Oxford and others is excellent.
Headstart and Sutton trust or unis often offer summer taster days.

Please
or

DaftVader42 · 12/04/2021 17:06

Downing college does excellent outreach and students can sign up for newsletter to help prepare. www.dow.cam.ac.uk/outreach

Please
or

zzzebra · 12/04/2021 17:27

Where are you based?
Have a look at why holiday camps are run near you.

A private school near us runs a STEM activity camp for children ages 9-14. He'd be too old to attend but could enquire about volunteering at something similar.

Please
or

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 18:06

Thank you all, I'll be checking all suggestions. Based in the SE, easy access to London.

OP's posts:
Please
or

zzzebra · 12/04/2021 18:09

@PeaceLoveAndCandy

Thank you all, I'll be checking all suggestions. Based in the SE, easy access to London.

If it's nearby have a look at what Ardlingly College offer.
Please
or

toffeebutterpopcorn · 12/04/2021 18:31

I’ve been looking - but the costs for summer ‘camps’ are phenomenal (unless you qualify for free places). I think Imperial run some.

Please
or

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 18:35

@toffeebutterpopcorn

I’ve been looking - but the costs for summer ‘camps’ are phenomenal (unless you qualify for free places). I think Imperial run some.

Also, they're running online, aren't they?
OP's posts:
Please
or

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 18:36

@zzzebra, not sure I follow. This is a private school...

OP's posts:
Please
or

SeasonFinale · 12/04/2021 18:37

Supra Curricular suggestions for Cambridge

For Maths specifically see page 29

www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf

Please
or

AChickenCalledDaal · 12/04/2021 18:40

STEP practice ... and anything that will help with STEP ... and then some more STEP practice.

I wouldn't worry too much about work experience. It's all about being brilliant at maths.

(Speaking as the parent of maths offer-holder for 2020 entry. They got an offer, got the A*s, practiced STEP diligently from the middle of year 12, and still didn't make the grade. It's HARD and it's the main thing they use to make the final cut.)

Please
or

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 18:54

@AChickenCalledDaal

STEP practice ... and anything that will help with STEP ... and then some more STEP practice.

I wouldn't worry too much about work experience. It's all about being brilliant at maths.

(Speaking as the parent of maths offer-holder for 2020 entry. They got an offer, got the A*s, practiced STEP diligently from the middle of year 12, and still didn't make the grade. It's HARD and it's the main thing they use to make the final cut.)

Wow!! Scary stuff!
OP's posts:
Please
or

zzzebra · 12/04/2021 19:09

[quote PeaceLoveAndCandy]@zzzebra, not sure I follow. This is a private school...[/quote]
It's a private school that runs STEM summer camps, for all children not just their own pupils.

Your DC would be too old to attend as a paying child, but could ask about volunteering.

Please
or

titchy · 12/04/2021 19:30

OP as I and chicken have said, Cambridge won't give a shiny shit about work experience or courses. It's Maths ability all the way. Get your kid to do as much maths practice as possible. And then some more. And then some more.

Please
or

AChickenCalledDaal · 12/04/2021 19:44

PeaceLoveAndCandy scary ... yes ... but also an exciting challenge. Don't let us put anyone off applying. Having not got through STEP DD is now studying maths at St Andrews (insurance offer) and remains very happy to have all that practice under their belt. No regrets. It provided a fantastic mathematical foundation - just one that is now being built on elsewhere.

It probably goes without saying that it's extremely important to (a) give Cambridge your best shot, while also (b) having a very good back up plan that you will genuinely be happy with in the long run.

Please
or

thesandwich · 12/04/2021 21:04

Isn’t there a poster who is involved with maths outreach at cambridge? Worth a search on Oxbridge threads.

Please
or

PeaceLoveAndCandy · 12/04/2021 21:46

Thank you all, really.

I'll see if I can find the maths outreach at cambridge poster!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SeasonFinale · 13/04/2021 00:55

Yes there is a person who teaches STEP but I can't recall her name

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 13/04/2021 09:05

Yes there is a person who teaches STEP but I can't recall her name

I thought it was Palladio, but searching only brings up one post by someone of that username, from 2005 - and that says 'withdrawn at poster's request'...

Please
or

Pallando · 13/04/2021 09:13

Hi @MarchingFrogs - I'm Pallando and I am still up and running?? I had a great long post ready to go but then lost it, so I will split this up a bit...

@PeaceLoveAndCandy some ideas:

Year 12 is a great time to start working on the STEP Support Programme foundation modules (maths.org/step/assignments), perhaps 1 or 2 a week?
There are STEP 2 and STEP 3 modules for use in year 13 as well.

It is also worth looking at www.openbookpublishers.com/product/1050, which is a revised version of Stephen Siklos's book (Stephen ran STEP from 1987 until when he sadly died in 2019).

It is also worth following @stepsupportcam where I tweet about possibly useful things.

Please
or

Pallando · 13/04/2021 09:15

Oxford run an Online Maths Club - James who runs this is brilliant (he used to help with the STEP support programme before he finished his PhD and left for the other place). The next one is on Thursday 22nd April and past ones are available as video: www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/outreach/oxford-online-maths-club. It is worth following @OxUniMaths who tweet a lot.

Please
or

Pallando · 13/04/2021 09:22

Nrich have stared producing Post-16 features (ok - me when I have spare time...) The current one is at nrich.maths.org/14860 and the previous two are at nrich.maths.org/14842 and nrich.maths.org/14808. There won't be another one until September now (as I am working on STEP Support exclusively for the next few months). Nrich also have a book list here: nrich.maths.org/books, and there is a Cambridge reading list here: www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/files/reading-list.pdf

Please
or

Pallando · 13/04/2021 09:37

Lots of colleges have outreach programmes - probably the easiest thing to do is to hit twitter and search for "Cambridge Outreach" or "Cambridge Access".

There are some Youtube channels that might be useful:
Millennium Maths Project:
www.youtube.com/user/MMPmaths/featured
Oxford Maths: www.youtube.com/channel/UCLnGGRG__uGSPLBLzyhg8dQ/featured
Most Cambridge maths videos are under the "University of Cambridge stamp" rather than specifically maths - have a search.
Numberphile: www.youtube.com/user/numberphile

The AMSP runs some classes - see amsp.org.uk/students/university-admission-tests/step-mat-tmua

Also, for a change from STEP, TMUA questions can be quite fun (and some can be quite tricky!). MAT might also be worth looking at (and Oxford ran a freely available MAT prep course last year).

Hope some of these are useful - please let me know if I can help any more! The Cambridge Open days should be bookable soon www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/openday

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.