Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Social work degree with young children

Ellierose1989 · 17/02/2021 14:46

Hi all,

I am after some advice from any mums that are doing the social work degree or already a social worker and how they manage with young children of their own? Time and mentally?

I have always wanted to be a social worker but would love some insight as to what the role is really like and how it works around family life? I have been on open days at uni and researched the role but don’t know anyone that actually is or currently studying to be a social worker?

Any help would be great. Thank you Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

todolistobsessed · 17/02/2021 14:48

Sorry I don't have any help but will be following as I'm currently hoping to get into social work too

Please
or

CodenameVillanelle · 17/02/2021 14:50

I did my training when my DS was 3/4. It was manageable and the job is too but you need a manager who understands that you can't work late, you need to be on time for nursery etc. Ask the questions when you go for the interview.

Please
or

Mydarlingsleepthief · 17/02/2021 14:52

I did it when my son was 3 ish, was fine! I have 4 young children now, great boss, manageable working hours etc! Go for it!

Please
or

Itsjustaride8w737 · 17/02/2021 14:54

Hi there, my friend is currently training to be a social worker. She finds it quite hard, prior to covid she was at University 5 full days a week, it's a very intense course.

It's also hard to be accepted, a lot of applicants are rejected.

She did an access course at our local college, that was also 2 full days a week and a lot of homework. This gave her enough UCAS points for University.

She had interviews at Uni, she said they were very thorough, she was the only person on her access course to be accepted at her chosen uni.

She was told you need to drive to get to placements in the second year.

She has an older child and said she wouldn't of been able to do it with much younger children.

She loves her course, says the subject us fascinating.

Good luck!

Please
or

WhitechapelFatberg · 17/02/2021 15:01

although there may be some office hours only posts I don't think it's reasonable to expect to land one immediately on qualifying. Most roles will have some sort of duty rota that needs covering, and on those days you might not be able to guarantee finishing promptly. If possible it's best to have a back up on those days - partner/relative/neighbour who can pick up where the childcare leaves off. Hours can be long, but nowadays most people have remote access so you can pick up the ids and pick work back up when they're in bed. TBH it's fairly normal to tae work home from time to time, although in well-run and resourced teams you will be able to claim the time back.

Please
or

TheoldSW · 17/02/2021 15:03

I did my MA in social work as a single mum to a 2 year old at the time. I had a great childminder and just had to fit the work in when I could. Juggling the academic work on top of placements was interesting, but honestly fine, I just had to be organised. My job is very full on, exhausting at times, but I do really enjoy it. It stretches me every day and it relies on constant problem solving skills; I think of it like a game of chess. I do work in a niche area of social work though, so it's about navigating the different pathways and systems to get the right outcomes for people.

Please
or

Ellierose1989 · 17/02/2021 18:12

Thank you for all of your responses. Reading them really makes me want to go for it!
I have a 6 and 3 year old and I have childcare in place etc as I work already (I will be leaving to do the full time degree). For the last 2 years of the course both of my children will be in full time school when I’m on placements.

It’s just scary taking the leap isn’t it!
But nothing worth having is easy Smile

Does anyone regret becoming a social worker? Also, what would you say is the hardest part of the job?

I worry that because I have young children I would struggle to be able to be there for them mentally when I am aware the role will be very full on. Do you learn to switch off?

I just want to get as much information as I can and it really helps to talk to people that have actually done it. I will of course ask questions to the university/placements/employers but it helps to hear first hand from you all!

Thank you Smile

X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mynextname · 17/02/2021 18:29

Have you thought about getting a job in a related field working alongside social workers for a year first? This would give you a chance to really find out if the job is for you or not before committing time and money to studying. It would also strengthen your application and it could help with getting a job after the course.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.