Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Any thoughts on Ireland ?

desertcoffeeyoga · 25/01/2021 10:40

DD will be going next year. Seriously thinking about Ireland although the grades for some look very very challenging. Just wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on any of the unis there - DD is quiet, calm and happy in her own company or a few friends - party unis or where there isn't a serious focus on study isn't going to work for her ( not a humble brag just trying to give some idea of the environment we are looking for her) . She's hoping to study Law . The other place that looks great is Scotland but don't think that's an option for Law ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimee1987 · 25/01/2021 12:51

I have a friend who did law in trinity ( about 15 years ago) she would have been quite studious didnt really drink and not particularly into clubbing. She loved her course and went on to do a masters in oxford.
I went to ucd (not law) I was more of a party animal but knew people in my course who weren't. Both trinity and ucd are huge universities so you will get a range of people in both.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 25/01/2021 13:45

Having a quick rummage via Google, Dundee and Strathclyde seem to offer 'straight' English Law as an option.

Please
or

Shamzki · 25/01/2021 13:57

The grades for any 3rd level course in Ireland with Law are very high in Ireland. Most students who get into law course in Ireland have extra help doing so, either repeating a year, going to a private school where the focus is on getting the grades for such courses or extra private tuition.

Ireland has a big drinking culture, and that extends into the 3rd level colleges and universities also. Many colleges have bars on campus or close to bars.

Many students who are quiet in secondary school "come out of their shell" in 3rd level and love to party in college also, but some don't.

Another consideration is that would a law degree in Ireland be valid for use in UK or would there have to be some transition exams to be done.

Please
or

Shamzki · 25/01/2021 13:58

BTW, in my above message, I presume when you said Ireland, you meant the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland

Please
or

desertcoffeeyoga · 25/01/2021 16:25

This is so helpful ! Thank you !

OP's posts:
Please
or

desertcoffeeyoga · 25/01/2021 16:26

@Shamzki that's great thank you so much

OP's posts:
Please
or

desertcoffeeyoga · 25/01/2021 16:27

@Aimee1987 @MarchingFrogs did not know any of that thank you .. need to do some more google rummaging of my own but am so grateful for your help it's very much appreciated

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.