Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Childhood studies dissertation help!!!

Coolcats12 · 22/11/2020 10:27

Hi
Urgent help i need on my dissertation can't decide my topic. I have narrowed it down a little bit but still unsure which is more relevant / interesting topic to choose. Any advice much appreciated.

Children's empowerment in play
How outdoor play / environment encourages/impacts children's learning and development
role of outdoor area in promoting and supporting imaginative play of children in early years

So all around children play and and development. Is the topic too broad or how can i break it down. Tutor takes forever to reply and not much time need to get started .

I also thought about another topic but different from above:

To investigate the impact of child poverty on academic achievements and what support is available for children going through poverty

Also which would you find most interesting if reading?
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

DoctorDoctor · 22/11/2020 10:31

Which have you read most research about already?
How do you think you will get the data you need to analyse for each? Will Covid restrictions pose a problem with any of them?
That last one sounds interesting but would surely need to be a long term study beyond the scope of a dissertation.

Please
or

RuleOfCat · 22/11/2020 10:37

Is this an undergrad dissertation or masters level?

Looking at the first title:
What are your expectations of the results going in to this? Because it sounds almost like you've decided in advance that there is some sort of positive benefit, and you're looking to prove your point. Surely that still needs to be established? What research sources could you cite on that issue?

Are you talking about structured outdoor play in a setting like school or nursery, or unstructured play where parents just take their kids to the local park etc? Two very different things. For anything less than a PhD I'm not sure you have the scope to do both.

For the second question - fascinating, but I agree it's waaay too broad.

Please
or

RuleOfCat · 22/11/2020 10:43

Further point: for question 1 would you go for a qualitative or quantitative approach? Eg for the latter you could survey x number of nurseries and ask how often they are outdoors OR you could focus on one forest nursery and try to interview individual staff/parents/kids (while bearing Covid restrictions in mind, as pp says).

Please
or

yolopolo · 22/11/2020 11:00

They are all quite broad and over done in my opinion OP. You need something new and more focused possibly!?

Please
or

Coolcats12 · 22/11/2020 13:28

Its a literature based research project for undergrad.
So covid won't obstruct my research.
I could change it to are children empowered in play?
Structured outdoor play in a school setting
The last one was approved by tutor however i wasnt 100%sure.
This is what i emailed my tutor:
Split into 3 sections/chapters

1. Impact of child poverty on educational attainment how it affects childrens results
  2. How covid 19 has impacted on child poverty
  3. Support available from schools for children facing poverty.
OP's posts:
Please
or

legallybland · 22/11/2020 14:05

I don't know anything at all about your topic but if you're thinking about writing about Covid at this stage, there might not be much research published on its actual outcomes yet. I might be wrong, but something to think about.

Please
or

Partey · 22/11/2020 14:15

I’ve just started my dissertation. It’s in education and based on motivation and aspirations in former mining communities.

It will look at poverty and gender too(tying in with my mining communities theme). It’s qualitative and main research will be a small number of interviews.

Think about what your interests are, how you will access people for research. Look at what’s already out there for your lit review- am fairly sure it will be one sided in terms of positives around outdoor provision.
Could you give a context maybe? Are forest schools more widely available in more affluent areas? Is structure to outdoor play necessary?

Please
or

Coolcats12 · 22/11/2020 15:41

I was thinking to write covid 19 and poverty ..so school dinners, eat out to help out scheme.
@Partey great thats a good starting point i can start on

OP's posts:
Please
or

PsychologyDissertation · 01/03/2021 11:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

sashh · 01/03/2021 12:05

@PsychologyDissertation I'm not sure it is a good idea for you to be asking complete strangers for access to their small children. Do you have approval from your ethics committee?

@Coolcats12 I think there is a lot of potential for research looking at play in the Covid pandemic and the limits put on small children, but I think that is a primary research proposal and yo need to leave it until your masters or phD.

I think you might be better looking at poverty and educational attainments. Maybe include a chapter on the differences between the way councils / schools have supported children on free school meals sometimes with vouchers, sometimes with food parcels and that the possible impact that has on the self esteem and / or educational achievements

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.