Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Need a cheap running heater for students room?

ssd · 07/10/2020 08:42

Ds student flat, private rental, is cold. They don't want to turn the heating on as too expensive. Live in Scotland.

Can anyone recommend a small heater than isn't too expensive to run?

OP's posts:
Please
or

titchy · 07/10/2020 10:32

I'd have thought an electric heater would be far more expensive than gas central heating? Electric about 4 times the cost of gas isn't it?

Please
or

AsCoolAsKimDeal · 07/10/2020 10:35

I've been looking for something for WFH and oil filled radiators seem to be the cheapest to run

Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 07/10/2020 10:41

Zibrokamin heaters are clean and efficient, but do you trust young adults with carrying, decanting and burning large containers of flammable liquid?? Grin

toyotomi.co.uk/

Otherwise, electric fan heaters in closed rooms and plenty of fleece clothing.

Please
or

GreyishDays · 07/10/2020 10:42

Halogen heaters are the cheapest to run I think.

Please
or

GreyishDays · 07/10/2020 10:43

Compared to fan, I should say.

Please
or

Pipapple · 07/10/2020 10:50

An oil fin heater would be the cheapest, a fan heater would probably cost more then turning the central heating on. As a student I studied in the library and wore layers at home if needed, plus an electric blanket too but no heaters.

Please
or

1940s · 07/10/2020 11:03

I'd second an electric blanket, either one that traditionally lays on mattress or one of the newer ones you can carry around and use on sofa / at desk. Hot water bottles are also a good even cheaper alternative as you can sit at your desk with dressing gown and big fluffy slippers with that on your lap!

Please
or

3catsandcounting · 07/10/2020 11:03

DS is in a cold room at the back of an old house, and I've just bought him a faux fur heated throw from Amazon. I've had one for a year or so and I love it!
He said it's great for throwing over his legs when he's at the computer or chucking over his bed before he gets into it.
Very low running cost and only £35!

Please
or

ssd · 07/10/2020 11:38

They haven't got Central heating

OP's posts:
Please
or

ssd · 07/10/2020 11:41

I thought if a heated throw but I think the air being warmer would be a better option
I was considering buying him one of those heated clothes airers, they cost like 5p an hour to run and I thought that might heat his room up a bit as well as drying his washing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

GreyishDays · 07/10/2020 11:43

What is the heating that they have then?

If it’s something like Individual wall mounted gas heaters, they would be cheaper than electric?

Please
or

1940s · 07/10/2020 11:45

A heated aired is a good choice if they don't have a tumble drier as a full wash load will never dry properly in one cold room. However they are quite bulky and take up quite a bit of space.
What heating does the house have if no central?

Please
or

ssd · 07/10/2020 11:55

Wall mounted electric storage heaters that take ages to warm up and are expensive and old

OP's posts:
Please
or

ssd · 07/10/2020 11:56

No tumble drier either

OP's posts:
Please
or

imissthesouth · 07/10/2020 11:57

God that sounds awful, definitely look into a oil filled heater, blankets and warmer clothing. My student flat was a modern building with heating etc, but always cold, I bought myself an electric blanket so I could finally sleep at night

Please
or

imissthesouth · 07/10/2020 11:57

How does he dry clothes without heating or a tumble dryer?

Please
or

seayork2020 · 07/10/2020 12:03

A hot water bottle help? I worry about safety with portable heating, and yes running costs can be high.

So I would check out all options first

Please
or

SisyphusAndTheRockOfUntidiness · 07/10/2020 12:08

Oil filled radiator is much safer than the fan type of heater. I had a fan heater (or similar) at university & I could look in & see the red hot elements... must have been a fire risk! Also an oil radiator stays hot for quite a while after it's turned off.

Please
or

drspouse · 07/10/2020 12:22

If they don't have a tumble dryer they will need a dehumidifier or they will have a flat full of mould.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 07/10/2020 12:28

Do they have an Economy7 tariff, or whatever the Scottish equivalent is?

Please
or

EvilPea · 07/10/2020 12:34

Sounds like my old house. £300 a month to heat.

The launderette will be his friend for drying clothes. It will Also help prevent mould in the flat which in turn will help keep it warm. Take a book and read whilst it’s doing it, it’s quite nice.

Any kind of heater is going to be expensive. Even the oil ones. The cheapest we found to run (not to buy!) is the dyson heater. It was also quick to heat the room. There are also wall mounted plug in electric radiators with timers which look quite good. But we never got round to that.

We also put bubble wrap over our single glazed windows. You can buy sheets of plastic for this and they do help, but be mindful of the need to open windows for dampness

Electric blankets and getting changed into pyjamas early are also key. Thermals, hats and gloves inside are also good. It takes a while to adjust but is ok once you get used to it.

Keep doors shut. Bathrooms are tricky as obviously electric and water don’t mix but you need to get heat in there to stop it being a mould fest, dry towels and not be like washing in the Arctic!!

Please
or

Bwlch · 07/10/2020 15:56

All electric heaters cost the same to run per kilowatt output. Oil heaters are probably the safest but take a while to warm up and are expensive fan heaters heat up the fastest but can be noisy, convection heaters are very cheap and quiet.

Please
or

FallenSky · 07/10/2020 16:01

I'd say oil filled radiators with a thermostat and timer are the best option but they take a while to heat a room.

Please
or

mushroom3 · 07/10/2020 17:08

They need to check what electricity tariff they are on. Storage heaters normally are warmed up on cheaper off peak electricity on economy 7 or similar and are large and bulky as they are slowly releasing heat ( I grew up in home with large storage heaters). If they are not on a day/night tariff electricity plan, it would make it expensive to run them.

Please
or

starfish4 · 07/10/2020 20:23

DD also in a cold draughty Scottish flat. light heartedly, she won't be coming home for Xmas with Covid restrictions. That'll save her a £130+ return train journey, money that be spent on heating.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.