Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Does your student wish they hadn't gone?

avenueq · 27/09/2020 11:44

Mine don't but is that just me?
I hear this on the news all the time. They've had six months of being in their parents' house.
What I see online at many unis things are going fine and students are enjoying the independence

OP's posts:
Please
or

avenueq · 27/09/2020 11:44

Obviously not all and I feel for those students and hope the situation calms down quickly

OP's posts:
Please
or

corlan · 27/09/2020 11:48

Yes. My DD has to self isolate because someone on her corridor has symptoms. She suffers from depression and she's stuck in a small room hundreds of miles from friends and family. It's a shit show.

Please
or

SeasonFinale · 28/09/2020 19:46

Corlan - so it's an ideal time for her to meet and get to know her flatmates better than she would during a normal freshers week surely?

Please
or

AltoCation · 01/10/2020 14:22

Dc has not quite gone that far - enjoying being independent away from home too much so far.

But is feeling duped and ripped off. The course was changed to all online after they had signed their financial agreements, and the course should be very lab based under usual circumstances. There is not f2f teaching and no lab sessions at all.

Why? When colleges and sixth form centres are teaching pretty much as normal?

Dc is feeling very fed up at a lack of any Freshers induction at all (after adjusted activities has been promised) and was very upset by the announcement about students possibly being banned from coming home at Christmas. And again feels conned - that this was announced after they arrived.

The Gvt and the Unis are treating students very badly indeed, IMO.

Please
or

LIZS · 01/10/2020 15:09

No but the ups and downs and sd are frustrating

Please
or

hobbema · 01/10/2020 15:14

My DT daughters are having very different but equally great times. One is at a Uni that made national news for partying freshers, the other at Oxbridge. Both have found friends and ways to have fun that are safe and appropriate. One is used to a daily Police patrol around her campus, not what anyone was expecting or wants. There are issues for sure but both wanted and needed to move on in life and I expect it’s the same for a great many DC.

Please
or

ShaunaTheSheep · 01/10/2020 15:45

No, DC enjoying halls and the independence. Early days with the course but this is week one of a 4 year integrated masters so plenty of time to do practicals. He is lucky to have been placed in a flat that is working well, in the spirit of all being in it together. If everything was face to face, the halls would’ve been a terrible location, miles away from campus, but now it doesn’t matter, so every cloud has a silver lining.

Please
or

ComicePear · 01/10/2020 15:47

My DC are younger, but I hear that my niece is enjoying herself and managing to have fun despite the circumstances.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 01/10/2020 16:41

every cloud has a silver lining.

DS1 has just started a postgraduate course and having chosen the (very nice, from the pictures I've seen) flat further of the two originally under consideration, is actually quite happy not to have to get up in time to catch the bus. He has moved to a city that he hadn't ever visited before deciding to apply for his rather niche course, but I am relieved to hear from him that my assumption that he would like it there was correct. So far, at leastSmile.

Please
or

ShaunaTheSheep · 01/10/2020 17:11

Distance doesn't appear to be an issue when sampling the city centre watering holes Smile

Please
or

bpisok · 01/10/2020 17:17

DD loving it!

Please
or

ssd · 01/10/2020 17:21

I'm glad to hear a lit of the students are happy. I keep hearing awful stories and I feel so sorry for some of them.

Please
or

legohouse · 01/10/2020 17:24

My DS ( fresher ) is very happy with his flat mates and online learning ( lockdown area )

Please
or

Letsgoforaskip · 01/10/2020 17:46

My DS is returning for second year and my DD has just started her first year (at different unis). They are both enjoying it. They are very lucky to be living with people they get along with and have also both benefitted from living by the sea for a couple of weeks of great weather. This was something my DS missed out on when he was sent home for lockdown before the weather improved.
I think my DD is very aware that her loans may not be giving her the same value experience as they normally would but she is also really keen on her course (despite it being online at the moment).
They are both happy to be making their own way amongst other young people. In some ways the craziness of this year has made some people value things more. My DS said he will definitely seize opportunities when he can, whereas before he was very laid back to the point of being horizontal!

Please
or

sammyjoanne · 01/10/2020 18:42

DD loving experience at Lancaster. Townhouse of 12 in halls in Grizedale College. They did a good job of putting on a freshers week as safe as possible (quizzes/ insta bingo/ movie nights/ clubbing night in etc)
Porters and Security have been round and making sure no mixing and music down after 11. Course friends shes snapchatting to, shes cooked, done a wash, gone to the city a few times and couple of bars. DD is aware of the situation and can change at any time, so she has extra food in like tins etc, just in case.

Please
or

TheBoar · 01/10/2020 19:54

I had a Teams meeting with my six first year tutees today prior to the start of term. Five overseas and one home student.

All were all smiles and said they were enjoying themselves.

Interestingly, three took A levels in the UK and said that they were very happy with their grades.

Please
or

lljkk · 01/10/2020 19:55

I can't get hold of (fresher) DD, so I assume she's having a pretty good time.

Please
or

NaturalBlondeYeahRight · 01/10/2020 20:00

DD was in first week but now her flat are in self isolation because one has it mildly. Now she’s quite cross and frustrated. They are really high up and windows only open a crack. She does get on with flatmates (thank goodness) but two weeks with 7 relative strangers is going to be very tough!
The worst part is (and I do fear this) is that she could come out and then be told to self isolate again and again.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.