MillicentMartha · 20/03/2020 22:00

New thread for us. Interesting times.

Old thread here

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Ironoaks · 20/03/2020 22:14

Thank you MillicentMartha for setting up a new thread. Interesting times almost seems like an understatement.

Please
or

MillicentMartha · 20/03/2020 22:24

It’s an old expression, ironically a Chinese curse. ‘May you live in interesting times.’ Well, here we are. Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

JufusMum · 20/03/2020 22:49

Thank you for the new thread. Last day completed and DD calm. Was more concerned about losing part time job but bouyed by BoJos guaranteed wage statement (she’s on a ten hour a week contract).
She brought loads of food home from her restaurant so living on catering sized packs of grated cheese for the foreseeable!
Had an “it’s going to be ok” email from USW too.

Please
or

MillicentMartha · 20/03/2020 22:53

DS is with his father this weekend so I don’t know if he’s had any emails. Your DD has an unconditional offer, doesn’t she, Jufus. I might be a teeny bit jealous!

OP's posts:
Please
or

aibutohavethisusername · 20/03/2020 22:54

Thanks for the new thread.

Please
or

aibutohavethisusername · 20/03/2020 22:55

DD spent her Christmas and birthday vouchers in Waterstones so she has enough to read for the foreseeable.

Please
or

HesMyLobster · 20/03/2020 23:13

Thankyou for the new thread and keeping us all together.
Think we'll need the support more than ever in these uncertain (and interesting) times.

DD has been isolating with a temperature since Tuesday so missed her last day.
She's been miserable today seeing photos of her friends and teachers saying their goodbyes Sad

She's in a precarious position with grades too. Her offer is 3 As, she had a fair chance of getting them I think, especially as she's been working so hard.
Her predicted grades though were A*AB so if the course is oversubscribed she probably won't get a place.

Please
or

PBLR · 21/03/2020 03:34

Fingers crossed for you Lobster. Hope she gets in

Please
or

PBLR · 21/03/2020 03:34

Thanks for the new thread Millicent

Please
or

StSaulOfSnacks · 21/03/2020 05:17

Thanks for new thread. DS has firmed Bristol and insured Bath. Only one grade difference between them fir haven's sake. He's confident it will he fine.

Please
or

KingscoteStaff · 21/03/2020 05:52

Thank heavens for new thread.
I am overwhelmed by ‘What if...?’s at the moment, and having to keep relentlessly positive for the children I teach has been exhausting! Back in on Monday to teach key workers’ kids, which will be interesting!

If (as it sounds) things will still be ‘different’ for a year, should the DC approach universities to defer? And if so, when do they do that? Now, just to register the intention? In July when the grades are released?

And if they do miss a grade and want to take the exam in September, would that be for a 2020 place or a 2021 place?

And how on earth will they deal with the over offering? Will a lack of foreign students mean that there will be places for all, or will lots be asked/told to defer? And if lots do defer, what effect will that have on the places available for next year’s cohort?

And it feels ridiculously petty to share these worries in real life when so many people are in ‘properly’ difficult situations.

Please
or

HuaShan · 21/03/2020 06:49

Checking in, thank you Millicent DS has started learning to code to fill his time. School have set work for 2 weeks but after that it would have been revision anyway. The challenge will be keeping occupied over a long period I think.

Please
or

JufusMum · 21/03/2020 07:00

Millicent - yes DD has firmed an unconditional at USW, it is a relief but she is also thinking about her CV. Her mock grades were very good but she would have like to have pushed them a little further.

Lobster - fingers crossed for your DD. My DD’s best friend is in a similar position, mocks were not quite there. But we have to remember it will be teacher assessment too.

DD in a terribly bad mood about driving tests being cancelled though!

Please
or

KickBishopBrennanUpTheArse · 21/03/2020 07:15

Hi all. Checking in after lurking on the previous thread.

Dd has now firmed Leeds and insured Newcastle. She had a very emotional day yesterday (as I'm sure they all did)

She's really worried because she needs AAA for Leeds but got AAD in her mocks.

I know it's early days but I'm worried about her mental health with no structure to her days. What are yours planning to do to keep positive?

Please
or

Eve · 21/03/2020 07:18

DS had selected on UCAS to defer a year but thinks now he’s better going to Uni but can’t change this on UCAS.

Guess all he can do is email the unis.

Please
or

Sonnenblumen · 21/03/2020 07:39

Thanks for the thread. My dd's firm and insurance choices have the same requirements (as did all her offers), so she is really hoping to make the grades.

She's also upset about her driving test next being cancelled.

So much uncertainty...!

Please
or

Lightuptheroom · 21/03/2020 07:40

Ds had issues with one of the tutors, so hopefully personal opinion isn't going to count! Needs AAB with an A at EPQ for York, has been told to get his coursework in but keeps saying there's loads of time! Wish it was earlier than July

Please
or

HuaShan · 21/03/2020 07:59

KickBishop I am advising ds to keep to some sort of routine, so in the school week get up, work as usual. His school have set work for the next 2 weeks, after that they would have finished anyway. I'm not sure what else to suggest after the Easter break but ds does Maths every day anyway and now has a coding course. He stopped piano lessons in February but I'm hoping he will resurrect some practice! I suspect it is a case of adjusting bit by bit as we all get used to a new way of living.

Please
or

DuckyMcDuck · 21/03/2020 08:00

Thanks for the new thread.

DS was very emotional last night - not helped by the after effects of the year group party in the local park - (yes they tried to sit 1.2m apart and didn't share the cans of beer Hmm )

He's firmed Warwick and Exeter but needs such high grades. He was on course but still worried.

As for them all, the job he had lined up has fallen though and obviously the boys holiday and his 18th birthday plans have gone, so it's going to be so hard for them all to see anytime to look forward to ahead.
And on top of all this, he's worried about grandparents.

It's such a shame for them all, this summer should have been one of the best, most carefree times of their lives - I know it will pass and everyone staying well is absolutely the highest priority but I just feel really, really sad for them all. Sad Sad

Please
or

oneteen · 21/03/2020 08:38

Thanks for new thread @MillicentMartha...

Dd will be doing to remote lessons from Monday until exam leave on 8th May... I think its for the best her choice and it gives her some daily interaction with her peer group.

I'm going to try and suggest she does a remote 18th Birthday party.. Its not until April but at least it will be something to look back on through these very sad, worrying and stressful times...

Id like to think that all the DC do not loose out in any way for their future plans.. Hopefully the schools and Unis will ensure they don't...

On paper Dd should be OK... whilst she just missed her forecast grade in Physics by 4 marks she cranked up a gear has been getting around in 90% in recent tests... forecast grades are higher than offer grades but there may be lots of DC who have achieved higher grades... So nothing guaranteed and still worrying.

I can't see them starting until January but it maybe the opportunity for Unis to change and for the 2021 to apply with grades with starts changed to January.

Hope any poorly parents/DCs health improves.

Please
or

oneteen · 21/03/2020 08:40

Excuse typos my going always changes to doing

Please
or

PBLR · 21/03/2020 09:08

DS is on online teaching from Monday too, same as you Oneteen. I am hoping it keeps a structure for him, and for all of them really

Please
or

mumsneedwine · 21/03/2020 09:13

Their are quite a few free or very cheap on line courses. And I'm sure many more will appear in the coming weeks. As an example by hopeful vet is looking at some animal behaviour ones and also accountancy ! She is in a bit of shock still about how fast this has happened - on Monday she had a test.
My eldest is home from med school and yet to find out if she still has exams on line. But intends to learn Makaton once she knows.
I am also a teacher. It has been one hell of a week and I feel bruised - being upbeat and positive for the students while personally being terrified has just about finished me off. I cried so much yesterday saying goodbye to my exam year students. Now I'm going to concentrate on teaching as well as I can remotely - first lesson everyone has to wear a silly hat. I am very sure that students who have worked hard will be rewarded - it said all assessment data and also prior attainment so those GCSEs might be a factor. But we will know more in April.
For now stay home (well mine's off to work at Waitrose so maybe not).

Please
or

maro0n · 21/03/2020 09:35

Hi good luck to all your DC year 13. Who could have predicted this?

Just a thought, do any of them have EPQs that are already finished and marked? An A or A* EPQ can often “bump up” a missed grade for uni admissions. I know Bath, in particular, state this on their website, but I’m sure it’s the case in other unis too (particularly this year).

Please
or

Lightuptheroom · 21/03/2020 10:00

Ds hasn't finished his, was due to finish over the Easter break, waiting to hear from the teacher on how this will work

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.