Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Conditional University Place v Apprenticeship

pilates · 21/05/2019 06:24

My DD 18 has a conditional place at a local University but is wondering whether an apprenticeship would be better. She is looking to do social work. Not even sure if you can get apprenticeships in this field of work. Can anyone give some advice as to the pros and cons?

OP's posts:
Please
or

titchy · 21/05/2019 07:43

I don't think there are any degree apprenticeship in SW. Do the degree.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 21/05/2019 07:47

You can't doa MA in social work you will be able to in social care but she won't be a social worker

Please
or

CostanzaG · 21/05/2019 08:17

Degree apprenticeships are completely different. She would need to find an employer who will offer her a job first and she wouldn't have a choice as to which university she attended as the employer would have a partnership agreement with a particular university.

I'm not even sure there are degree apprenticeships in SW anyway.....

Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 21/05/2019 09:27

The OU says it offers a social work apprenticeship degree working with employers. Not sure what employers though! Might be worth a call but the local uni sounds easiest.

Please
or

Benes · 21/05/2019 09:32

Have a look at the institute for apprenticeships website.....they tell you which employers and training providers are offering the apprenticeship in social work.

She needs to bear in mind though that by choosing an apprenticeship she will be having a very different university experience to her friends....!

Please
or

pilates · 23/05/2019 07:39

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit out of my depth with higher education. Thanks Benes for details of the website.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.