Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone looking at Aviation related degrees with Commercial Pilot Training

Yoghurtpeanutsx · 15/11/2018 09:51

My DS wants to become an airline pilot one day! He is applying to a number of universities which run Air Transport / Airline Management type degrees with a secondment in year 2 to commercial pilot schools. Just wondering it anyone has any information on how these universities compare to each other. We live in London and are considering West London University, Bucks New University and Kingston Universities.

OP's posts:
Please
or

errorofjudgement · 16/11/2018 07:17

I just spotted your post and wondered why my DS hadn’t looked at these several years ago when applying.
So out of curiousity I went onto the uni website and read this:

Please be aware that the cost of the second year, which involves the integrated ATPL training, is approximately £70,000, in addition to university tuition fees.

Guess that answers my question! Grin

Looks like a great opportunity if you can afford those fees though

Please
or

Needmoresleep · 16/11/2018 08:05

Why not look into flight schools in Australia and New Zealand directly.

You need the training. Not sure if you need a degree as well.

A relative did this. He held dual nationality so qualified for sponsorship with an overseas based airline. My understanding is that no British carriers are currently offering training though you could check. Or RAF?

Please
or

LoniceraJaponica · 16/11/2018 08:12

My friend's son is currently training with Easyjet. He did an engineering degree first though. And yes, it is very expensive. You need to put the money up first, but you do get it back when they have qualified.

Please
or

Yoghurtpeanutsx · 16/11/2018 14:45

The costs are outrageous I know. I hate to discourage him based on this though as he is so passionate and will work so hard if he gets in. Not sure how we'd fund it yet.

I am not sure you get the money back once qualified though?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LoniceraJaponica · 16/11/2018 17:18

My friend sold her house to fund her son. Under the circumstances that I can't explain here I think she did the right thing.

Please
or

errorofjudgement · 16/11/2018 19:40

Is the refund due to working for easyJet? As a business model you can’t offer a refund to everyone who passes your course surely.

Please
or

LoniceraJaponica · 16/11/2018 19:44

It could be

Please
or

bevelino · 16/11/2018 21:28

The airlines should surely sponsor the training and contractually oblige the trainee to work for them for a set period of time after they have qualified. The fees to train are horrendous and who is able to afford it.

Please
or

oneteen · 16/11/2018 22:03

I dont think there is any sponsorship (from Easyjet), its just a case of biting the bullet with costs - when you become a First Officer you earn around 40k so you can start paying your parent(s) back ...but the real earnings start when you become a captain but its clocking up those air miles which takes a number of years. My DD had a interest at one stage - I am quite relieved her interests changed!

Sadly I know two people who had a commercial pilots licence and struggled to get a job with airline (for what ever reason). I also know one pilot who ended up leaving Ryanair (surprise surprise) to work for Emirates but whilst the remuneration package was good - its not an easy decision when your family have to relocate to Dubai and teenagers are involved....but I am sure if you have a passion for flying its all worth while.

Cant help with info one the Uni's but I know that there is a scheme through the Air Cadets that provide scholarships - one of my DD's friends is looking to apply (I think its possible to get between 12 and 35 hours flying lessons) ...she's been in cadets for several years and also incredibly bright (straight 9's and A*^).

Please
or

Yoghurtpeanutsx · 18/11/2018 18:51

Thanks everyone - feedback much appreciated. If anyone does know anything about these Universities - Bucks New University and West London University regardless of type of course I'd be very grateful.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HotelRedFace · 27/12/2018 11:15

@Yoghurtpeanutsx I came into this board looking for info on a different Institution but I know quite a lot about Bucks New Uni generally if I can be any help?

Please
or

Notageek · 27/12/2018 11:27

There are loads of airline sponsored training orogrammes for straight out of school, and I think theres the main training place in Southampton that does open days. Another route in is to apply for cabin crew (from school) and then apply internally for a space on the sponsored programme - someone I know has done this and is currently in NZ training for a major airline.

Please
or

Malbecfan · 28/12/2018 11:45

One of DD1's friends is out in Bremen on Lufthansa's pilot training scheme and is having a brilliant time. He studied German A level so can cope with life out there, but most of the training and all flying is done in English. He was an air cadet in the UK, which presumably was helpful in getting him onto the scheme.

Please
or

Yoghurtpeanutsx · 29/12/2018 07:38

Thanks all.

@HotelRedFace - I have sent you a PM.
@Notageek - I wasn't aware of any sponsored programmes available for internal candidates. Do you know what airline your contact is with?

Thanks again.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.