Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can you still get a first class degree if you do a HND?

ProfessorPickles · 09/10/2014 09:20

I've just started on a HND and have been mislead about a lot of information.

I do believe a HND is 240 points towards a degree, does any body know if I complete my HND and do well and top up on a degree course if I am still able to get a first in the degree?

I am worried I won't be accepted into a degree course because of the HND and I'm worried it will reduce the quality of my degree if you get me?

I'm trying to get in touch with a degree course to see if they'll accept me but I'm not getting a response so far!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MillyMollyMama · 09/10/2014 12:46

The HND may mean you could be exempt from the first year of a degree if it is in the same subject. You could check this out with the course entry requirements in the prospectus (these are online) and also if the HND on own is sufficient in order to access the degree course you want. However, even if you have to start from scratch, the degree is a completely separate qualification and you could get a 1st if you are good enough. Your previous qualification does not limit you in any way. Do you not have access to a personal tutor who might be able to advise? I had one on my HND many years ago.

Please
or

duhgldiuhfdsli · 10/10/2014 16:02

I do believe a HND is 240 points towards a degree

Are you in Scotland, OP?

If so, the situation is described on page 191 of the main guide to UK qualifications.

www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/uk-qualifications-2013.pdf

"HNDs are designed and validated at SCQF Level 8. As such, students may progress to degree courses or employment. HEIs make their own decisions on the specific credit to be granted and many articulation agreements exist between FE colleges and HEIs. Direct entry to year three of a degree programme may be possible at some universities."

If that's the case then the degree isn't a completely separate qualification, and you will need to unpack the arrangements for credit transfer.

Why are you doing an HND as a university entrance qualification: wouldn't it make more sense to do a standard admission qualification and then do a complete degree course?

Please
or

titchy · 10/10/2014 17:24

It is up to the individual university you apply to for the degree whether they accept your HND as full exemption from years 1 and 2, partial exemption, say just year 1, or indeed whether they exempt you from any of their degree at all. There is no hard and fast rule I'm afraid.

As pp asked - why are you doing an HND? A foundation degree with a top up to full degree process in place might be better.

Please
or

ajandjjmum · 10/10/2014 17:37

At DD's uni only the marks from the 3rd year count, so I suppose if you are allowed to do a 'top up' to full degree, and your uni works on the same principle, you just need to get your 70%+ in your third year!

Good luck!

Please
or

MillyMollyMama · 10/10/2014 18:06

I did an HNC (I forgot that earlier) because the course suited me and I was working at the same time and was sponsored. Many people would not necessarily want to go on to a degree so the qualification stands alone and is not, necessarily, a preparation for degree. While you are doing such a qualification, you might realise you are good enough to do a degree and then decide to do this.

Please
or

Libra · 10/10/2014 18:24

We have a 2+2 arrangement with a local college at my university (Scotland). Students can enter as direct entrants to third year with a HND. They then process through third and fourth year like all the other students. Some of my best students over the years have been direct entrants so I see no reason why you coukd not achieve a First if you worked hard enough.
But I would check that your college has a similar agreement with a partner institution.

Please
or

ProfessorPickles · 11/10/2014 15:19

I have a baby so I originally applied for a degree course that was only 20 minutes away which was perfect.
I then received a letter saying the degree was cancelled and it was now a 2 year HND but I'd be able to do the final year at the same place to top up to the full degree so I decided to go ahead with it as it was the same end result.

When I started the course I was told by my teacher that I would have to go to a different uni to do my last year which isn't a problem.

Anyhow, since posting this I have now been told by a new teacher that there is a chance the degree will be back available by the time the HND is over.
It's been very stressful and confusing. Confused

I haven't really got a tutor to talk to at the moment, there's a lot of staff off work all at one ATM and everyone seems to be being kept in the dark!

OP's posts:
Please
or

sashh · 11/10/2014 17:08

An HND can be 'topped up' to a degree. Some universities and FE colleges work with each other so an HND from one can lead to a degree from the other, sometimes it may be necessary to take more units/modules to get to a degree but in all the uni can only assess you on the work you do at that uni so the work you do after your HND is what will get you your degree grade.

Please
or

Nightwish · 12/10/2014 08:57

I did a HND, then topped up at the college I was at to an Ordinary degree.
Right now I am doing a final top-up year at university to get the honours degree and only the grades I get in this final year will count to my grading even though I got Distinctions for the last three years (equivalent to a first).

As long as you find a university to take you onto second or third year entry it will likely only count what you do at the university towards your grading.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.