Going on holiday straight after A level results day - good idea or not?
MissMillament · 25/09/2014 15:35
I am trying to help DH sort out his work schedule for 2015 and figure out when we might be able to go away during the summer holidays next year. Since DD will be getting her A2 results on August 13 it makes sense that we go away immediately afterwards as those two weeks are otherwise clear, but is two days giving enough time for her to sort out her university place assuming the possibility of disappointing results, going into clearing etc has to be factored in? Can I ask parents, especially those whose DC went through clearing, how much you need to do in the immediate aftermath of the results and whether it would be foolish to plan to leave the country only a day or two later? We could potentially go before results come out but I think DD will be too stressed to enjoy herself at that point. I'd be grateful for your experiences of how the whole acceptance process works.
DPotter · 25/09/2014 15:43
You might be lucky and get things sorted but equally could need early into the following week to finalise everything. I wouldn't arrange to go until at least a week after but I would go before hand and be back before the results.
skylark2 · 25/09/2014 15:54
My DD went away on the Saturday, but we had considered it as an issue and we decided it was okay because her insurance offer was so low that she'd almost met it just with her AS grades.
As it was, I stayed home on the Thursday and having met her main offer she needed to do precisely nothing.
I'd suggest you go before the results come out - that's what we did. If you can go in July, the results won'tbe looming too badly.
eatyourveg · 25/09/2014 19:37
if you have the choice - avoid it, there may well be accommodation to confirm, deposits to pay and reading lists being sent prior to starting.
LeBearPolar · 25/09/2014 19:53
I wouldn't go then: if there are any problems at all, sorting them can take well into the following week. And after that, you will want to be sorting out accommodation and so on. Much better to go beforehand.
Kez100 · 25/09/2014 22:18
Bear in mind you are still likely to have accommodation issues if an insurance place is firmed not the firm offer.
My daughter had an unconditional and even for her there was lots of bits and pieces to sort in the last few weeks.
MissMillament · 25/09/2014 22:44
OK, thanks very much for that - sounds like going beforehand is definitely the better option. So many things to think about. We've seen seven universities so far and she only liked three of them so filling out the UCAS form is going to be an major achievement let alone getting any offers.
eatyourveg · 26/09/2014 11:07
you don't have to put 5 on all at the same time - your dd could submit her form with just the 3 she likes and add another two at any point before the January deadline
Theas18 · 26/09/2014 13:06
No don't do it!
Not only might there be stuff to sort out but if all goes well thry want to part with their mates!
Theas18 · 26/09/2014 13:10
And, IME having had 2 through this, the only way to really cope is quite " it's done now and I'm not going to worry" . Family hols fit with this.
Post results they want to see mates/ party/ sob about partings/ support each other ( DS helped his GF survive disappointing results and find a course that might even be better than her original for her).
Kez100 · 26/09/2014 14:24
My daughter only applied to four in the end as the other courses just weren't what she wanted. When she finally chose a firm and insurance, she declared she had decided she didn't even want an insurance choice!! Lucky the favourite made her unconditional then or she could well have not been going.
Whatever the outcome, post results has a lot going on in it. A break before might help the time pass a bit quicker as she will have other things to think about.
MissMillament · 26/09/2014 14:38
Thanks folks, it really does help to get information from those who have already been through it. DD is determined to get into one of her top three but they all ask AAA or AAB and I would like her to consider one or two that want less. Long year ahead!
Molio · 27/09/2014 08:10
We always go away as soon as term ends and get back the Saturday before A level results. It fits, it's a really good way to forget about exams and there's no added pressure about not being around if things go wrong. To be honest if things do go wrong - and we're living in interesting times, marking-wise - then the one thing which will kill a holiday for your DD is to go away in the middle of clearing.
skylark2 · 27/09/2014 12:02
"DD is determined to get into one of her top three but they all ask AAA or AAB and I would like her to consider one or two that want less."
I'd really recommend this - it makes life so much less stressful. My DD used her fifth choice on a uni with a rather lower standard offer than her predictions, which were similar to your DD's, and they actually gave her an offer which was lower still. It was nice to have an insurance offer which was almost as good as unconditional - especially since her options 2,3 and 4 all gave her a higher offer than her first choice, which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot :(
starving · 29/09/2014 21:24
We were actually on holiday this year when dds results came out. When the holiday was booked we didn't think it would be a problem. However while dd got the results she needed (in Scotland so got text & email) UCAS track didn't update and she started panicing. To put her mind at ease we phoned the uni, who confirmed her place and there had been a problem with UCAS track. It was all sorted out and she enjoyed the rest of her holiday. In hindsight not the best plan to be away but it was the only time we could get the holiday and also being away stopped dd thinking about it too much!
madeofkent · 29/09/2014 22:48
So glad you decided not to - DS's accommodation all went awry and we had to find somewhere else for him. It took weeks to sort out. Until you know where they will be living you don't know what equipment they will need to take with them. Three of us spent more days flat-hunting and on the phone than I care to remember.
velourvoyageur · 30/09/2014 08:42
I went on holiday with my parents on results day- about four hours after I went to the school.
I also decided to change my firm (through "adjustment") so was calling round unis to ask them if they would take me and checking track on the ferry over. I may have made a bit of a snap decision in deciding which one to go for cos time was so tight....but I have no regrets!
It all got sorted out pretty simply and the feeling of results day relief just made the holiday better
It was really close but I think my parents suspected I'd end up getting my firm grades so just went ahead and booked stuff anyway. (I definitely wasn't so sure!)
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.