Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Conversion degree to become a social worker, where do I start?

TheLibraryIsOpen · 08/06/2014 17:54

I used to be Prettypurpledaisy but had difficulty changing my password when requested so joined again under another name (not that it makes any difference).

I have a Humanities degree and have been a teacher for 6 years but want to retrain to get into social work. Is there such a thing as a year long conversion that will enable me to change career paths? I am not getting any younger (48) and want to do it while I still can.
I have realised I joined the police when young to please my dad and have gone into teaching to please my mum and now want a career choice of my own or am I being silly as noone will employ me as a new social worker at 50?

OP's posts:
Please
or

sashh · 09/06/2014 06:17

According to my students (they have been researching HSC careers this week) there is a 2 year post graduate course. SOrry I can't be more helpful.

Please
or

ImATotJeSuisUneTot · 09/06/2014 06:20

My friend has a degree in Theology but starts a two year conversion course in September. She interviewed at several university's before deciding on a place so it seems quite common, there should be one near you. Smile

Please
or

creamteas · 09/06/2014 09:34

There are a number of ways into social work.

The main way from graduates is to do a Masters degree.

There is also a scheme called Step Up to Social Work which is a way of qualifying whilst working.

I think they have also just started something like Teach First for social workers, but not sure of the details.

Please
or

TheLibraryIsOpen · 10/06/2014 17:13

Thank you for the replies ladies, they are much appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

littlewhitebag · 14/06/2014 17:34

I did my SW qualification as a 2 year postgraduate course as i already had a psychology degree. I don't think you can do it in less than 2 years as you have to factor in teaching and placements.

Please
or

Mitzi50 · 14/06/2014 17:46

libraryisopen I am thinking of doing the same thing. I've fallen out of love with teaching and have decided to see if there are still places on the postgraduate SW course at my local uni for September. I am 51 so pretty ancient but seeing as I will have to work til I'm 68, I think it could be worth it. Good luck if you decide to go ahead

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.