Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No ALevels, open university?

IWantToSCRRREAM · 23/01/2014 16:45

I'm thinking about applying for an open university course. I'm a SAHM and there is no way I can actually attend a college, so OU would be perfect for me.

The problem is I don't have any full ALevels. I have quite a few AS levels though. I know ALevels aren't required for OU, but will it affect my chances of getting a job?

Also, does anyone know about student loans? Our total income is about 26K before tax, will I qualify? Thanks in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

teenagetantrums · 23/01/2014 16:50

I think your A levels would be irrelevant if applying for a job with a degree. I am doing an OU degree, i have my courses paid for as i'm unemployed. My friends whose husband earns allot more than £26K has got a student loan to pay for her courses so i don't think you will have problem. Go for it i am really enjoying my courses, well except from when i have an essay deadline and im behind in the reading.

Please
or

IWantToSCRRREAM · 23/01/2014 17:01

I thought that would be the case. Thanks for replying.

Do you mind me asking, is it really hard work? Do you need a lot of study time? I have a baby and a toddler so all my studying would have to be done in the evenings.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RiojaHaze · 23/01/2014 21:20

I'm 4 months in to a history degree with the OU and I have 3 young DC and a part time job.

It's doable at the moment just in the evenings. I know I'm going to need to give it more time a couple of years down the line but by then my youngest will be in play school which will allow me to do this.

I've got no A levels either, and my thinking for career progression once the DC are older is the same as yours.

Please
or

IWantToSCRRREAM · 23/01/2014 22:41

Thanks RiojaHaze. Wow 3 DC and a job! That must be hard work. You've made me feel a bit more positive about fitting in time to study.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RiojaHaze · 24/01/2014 07:09

My house is a tip and I've been warned that my social life will all but disappear but I figure it's not permanent and will be worth it in the end!

Please
or

MrsBright · 24/01/2014 07:52

OU is well regarded by mainstream employers. They know it isn't an easy option, and that it's academic standards are high. They won't be interested in your lack of A levels. The degree will make up for that in spades.

Most people doing OU are just like you - didn't do well at school and want a second chance at education. It takes determination to get organised enough to do it (and a sympathetic partner/friends to help with childcare) but thousands of SAHMs are now graduates thanks to OU.

Please
or

3across2down · 24/01/2014 08:04

Go for it! I started last October after starting a thread in here about it and getting a lot of support. I did most of my education in German (lived in Switzerland for 12 years) so was also worried about lack of A-levels. I'm finding the OU way of learning very approachable and you don't need prior knowledge.

You'll also have no problems with student finance.

It helps to be able to put aside regular blocks of time with no interruptions. And see if there are groups on Facebook for your module. Their support is invaluable.

If you have any questions or concerns, OU helplines are very helpful.

Good luck!

Please
or

Blithereens · 24/01/2014 11:33

Go for it! I'm doing mine full-time equivalent (so two 60 credit modules at a time) and I have a job too, although no DC. It's fine.

I'm in my final year and am applying to do an MA now at a more mainstream uni. Employers etc really value OU students because it takes a lot of discipline, determination and self-motivation. Your lack of A-levels won't matter a bit!

So long as this is your first degree you will be eligible for student loans. I'm lucky because I am on transitional arrangements from before the fee hike, I know it's very expensive now!

Please
or

whatiswrongwithyou · 26/01/2014 19:03

Can I ask those of you doing your degree without A levels, have you just jumped straight in with the degree or did you do one of their Openings courses first?

Please
or

RiojaHaze · 26/01/2014 19:07

Straight in.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.