Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Deodorant and children

maresedotes · 21/05/2010 12:08

Can anyone recommend a deodorant for children please? I have had a quick trawl on the internet but would prefer a few pointers. My 8 year old dd has a daily bath and washes her armpits but sometimes smells a little after school. It's not so bad that anyone else notices it (so far) but with the warm weather coming up I was wondering whether deodorant is a good idea?

All advice greatly appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MaryAnnSingleton · 21/05/2010 12:19

you could try one without aluminium in - from health food shops. Ds is 12 and has an ordinary men's deodorant.I'd be a bit wary of an 8 yr old having a 'full strength' version...

Please
or

BendyBob · 21/05/2010 12:24

My dd was using Bionsen (I use it too) It's aluminium and paraben free comes in roll on or a pump spray.

But then she wanted to try another one and currently we are on a Salt of the Earth pump spray one (also free from nasties) which I found in Holland and Barrett.

Actually I noticed they seem to have quite a good selection, but I've found it harder to get pump sprays (which we prefer) to roll ons.

Please
or

SixtyFootDoll · 21/05/2010 12:26

second Bionsen, ds 1 uses it he is now 10, but started d at 8, the pit roc is quite good too,

Please
or

BendyBob · 21/05/2010 12:29

Btw Bionsen isn't usually in Holland and Barrett - not the ones I go into anyway. Boots is your best bet if you're looking for that one, I've found.

Please
or

paisleyleaf · 21/05/2010 12:33

There are also those crystal salt ones.

Please
or

Elibean · 21/05/2010 12:55

dd uses Tom's

Please
or

maresedotes · 21/05/2010 13:12

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Beaaware · 21/05/2010 14:06

my favourite aluminium & paraben free deodorant is "Ice Guard" roll on, website on bottle is www.optimah.com

Please
or

Mercedes · 21/05/2010 16:26

This is so useful - I was planning to ask for advice on this issue.

Please
or

Sooty7 · 21/05/2010 16:59

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Meid · 23/05/2010 19:09

I found one for my DD in The Body Shop. It was made from aromatherapy oils and seems to work well.

Please
or

kellym · 29/01/2013 09:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Please
or

HazeltheMcWitch · 19/02/2013 15:53

Kellym - are you going to bumping ALL old deodorant threads ? Funny, you mentioned the deo in the pic, on that other thread too...

Please
or

DebK2012 · 19/02/2013 16:20

The purple or pink sure ones are great for young girls!

Please
or

prettyanddainty · 19/02/2013 17:22

I use Toms of maines om my dd. There are no nasties in the brand, and it lasts all day.
www.amazon.co.uk/Toms-Maine-Calendula-Lasting-Deodorant/dp/B001EJOQ60/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361294497&sr=8-4
Lovely smell aswell.

Please
or

Branleuse · 19/02/2013 17:25

i got a really nice coconut one from marks and spencers for my ds

Please
or

Elibean · 19/02/2013 18:25

dd1 has had slightly whiffy pits from age 5, on and off, sadly - though sometimes went months without any BO at all so presumably came and went with hormonal surges.

She's been fine with Tom's of Maine till now, but its really not effective anymore (she's 9 now, and has started developing a bit more generally). I was wondering what the next step up was? Pit roc does absolutely nothing, though Bionsen does seem to work if she puts lots on....

Please
or

seeker · 19/02/2013 18:31

But please, if the "natural" ones don't work, and they often don't, let her use a "proper" one. Particularly if she does sport or wears a Lycra leotard for dance or gym.

Please
or

Elibean · 19/02/2013 18:32

Exactly. Any tips for the 'not so natural' next step up ones please? I'm not very sweaty myself, so Tom's works for me - but dd is going to be different in that respect I think.

Please
or

seeker · 19/02/2013 18:36

My dd used Simple anti perspirant. Deodorant alone wasn't enough, particularly when she was wearing the dreaded Lycra. Then that wasn't enough, and she over ruled me and went straight for Mitchum's Nuclear deterrent!

Please
or

SuzieQueue · 14/02/2016 00:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?