My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

General health

MMR jab

37 replies

LiamsMum · 26/05/2002 01:58

I was reading yesterday that a lot of British women are refusing to allow their children to have the MMR jab (measles mumps rubella). Is this true or are some of you still having it done? I know there has been a lot of controversy about a supposed connection between MMR jabs and autism, but I didn't think anything had been proven. It certainly is a worry though... I agonised over the decision for quite a while but finally decided to have my son immunised, that was a year ago and I haven't seen any adverse effects at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually experienced problems after the MMR injection.

OP posts:
angharad · 28/05/2002 15:05

Surely the solution is for women to have a blood test at 16 or so, rather than when you're already pregnant (as is currently the case)? Wouldn't the woman have assumed herself immune anyway if she'd had the single Rubella jab at 13 or whatever the age was?

CAM · 28/05/2002 19:30

No Enid I feel like saying "why have the MMR - they'll be fine. Maybe have the rubella at some stage for the reason of pregnancy."

jessi · 28/05/2002 20:52

Enid from my experience, if you do opt for the single jabs, then you HAVE to have the Rubella jab first, before they will order the measles (2nd jab) and then finally the mumps.

SofiaAmes · 28/05/2002 21:55

LiamsMum, as I said before, my son had the chicken pox vaccine (done in the usa) and had no adverse reaction to it. Although as sjs said, the not getting shingles as an adult is one of the major reasons for the chicken pox vaccine, there are also other reasons for it. Two of my stepchildren have permanent scarring from chicken pox. My stepdaughter only got a dozen or so spots, but one of them happened to be on her face and she now has a lifetime scar from it. My stepson had thousands of spots all over his body (many of which scarred), extremely high fevers and was seriously ill for over a week. If I can spare my children that, I will. If you want more info. try searching some us online sites as the vaccine has been available there for some time now.

lou33 · 28/05/2002 22:54

Sjs, I posted on the chicken pox thread about shingles because my 5 year old dd had it in February. Don't want to write it all out again, but the experience was horrendous, and I hope she never has it again , poor mite. Definitely a lot worse than having chicken pox.

LiamsMum · 29/05/2002 00:59

Thank you very much for your responses. I've asked doctors here (Australia) about the safety of the chicken pox vaccine and they just seem to give me a blank look. Don't know why it's so hard to get a straight answer. But I didn't know about the connection with shingles so I will definitely be taking ds to have the jab. Thanks again.

OP posts:
Tinker · 29/05/2002 01:12

Just to reiterate Sofia's point about the scarring. My daughter has 6 very obvious scars on her forehead and if I could have prevented that for her, I would.

Marina · 29/05/2002 10:09

Me too, Tinker. My son had a rotten bout of cp just after Easter, with spots everywhere, and he has four scars on his face, including a large one on his temple. And he was pretty good about not scratching/rubbing (for someone who isn't three yet).

leese · 29/05/2002 18:32

Just to reiterate - jessi is right. If you embark on the course of single vaccines, you MUST have the rubella jab first - it's to do with the loophole in the law which effectively allows the measles and mumps jab to be prescribed as single vaccines. Basically, Rubella is the only jab currently licensed for single use in the UK. Therefore, that is given first. The child is then deemed to have 'commenced a singular course of vaccines', so the other two can then duly be prescribed.
Hadn't really thought about the vaccine for chicken pox myself, so this is an interesting thought. Just wandering if anyone would come across any opposition from GP's? I know it is an unusually expensive vaccine, and now GP's are fundholding, they may not be too keen. Would be interested to hear what people find out.

alexsmum · 30/05/2002 23:33

Just read the last message about Rubella being the first vaccine to be given.It caught my attention because my son has been having the single vaccines administered by an immunologist at the local hospital.(We have not had to pay for this)He was given the measles jab first, and then the mumps and he will have the rubella in a couple of months.The immunologist said he should have the measles one first as it was the most dangerous illness to catch.I thought this made good sense.Interesting to hear its not usual.

pupuce · 31/05/2002 09:36

It is interesting to read US websites on the vaccination issues... SofiaAmes triggered my search as I was unaware that it was mandatory in the US (have relatives over there who know several unvaccinated children).
In most states you can object to vaccination on religious (or philosophical) grounds ! Each state is different. Chicken Pox is not mandatory in every state.

leese · 01/06/2002 18:35

alexsmum - I can only assume your ds is having single jabs for a particular reason, rather than purely parental preference, as you say they are been given by the immunologist at the hospital, and are free (unless of course, you do not live in UK). I think from a safety point of view, it may well be advisable to give the jabs in the order you explained, as measles is the most serious for your ds if caught. The reason the rubella jab is given first is purely to get thru the loophole in the law. If there are other valid reasons for giving singular jabs, then they can be prescribed for this reason. If however, single jabs are just the parents choice, and there is no other indication for them, you cannot actually get measles or mumps jabs prescribed, as they are not liscensd for use here. As said before, you CAN get them prescribed if the one jab which can be given singularly (rubella - liscensed) has been administered. The child is then seen to have commenced a course of single jabs, so the measles and mumps can then lawfully be prescribed.
Basically it is not better to give rubella first, but unless you've a valid cause, this is the only way most parents can get single jabs prescribed.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.