My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

General health

finding a private speech therapist

17 replies

mrsclooney · 10/03/2004 12:09

DS2(3.5) IS being referred for speech therapy fro very mild mispronunciations of certain letter sounds.

we want to go private for the intial assessment as the waiting list is so long. How do you access private speech therapist? even our Gp seems unsure!

OP posts:
Jimjams · 10/03/2004 13:34

Go to ASLTIP and search there. Expect to pay around 55 quid an hour- more for an assessment and report.

Coddy · 10/03/2004 13:41

thanks JJ no one in our town ! would have to travel

Beetybeetybangbang · 10/03/2004 13:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Beetybeetybangbang · 10/03/2004 13:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Coddy · 10/03/2004 13:49

In salisbury or southampton

hadve found sue smith in sn4 postcade..? hour away

Coddy · 10/03/2004 13:50

god thats near pph - is she moonlighting?

Jimjams · 10/03/2004 13:52

coddy often they will travel. Mine comes from the next town to see us every week (she does several people at once). I think NHS SALTS aren't allowed to work privately as well- I've never managed to find a private SALT who isn't on that list. I'd give your closest ones a ring and see if any of them come to you. To be honest at 3 and a half many speech sounds aren't established anyway. If you wanted to see someone for tips you would probably only need one or two assessments to get you going.

Coddy · 10/03/2004 14:17

Right thanks a lot - there are some in southmpton - put hampshire in too

hv wonders if he cant put his toingue ont he roof of his mouth,,also he sounds quite nasal ( itold her thats what happens when you are born in brum!):0

Jimjams · 10/03/2004 14:36

I wouldn't worry about the HV- ime they know nothing about speech or language I suspect that one or 2 sessions with a private SALT would do you. At least they could check everything out.

Coddy · 10/03/2004 14:38

ta. he needs to learn to say cricket!

Beetybeetybangbang · 10/03/2004 14:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Coddy · 10/03/2004 14:47


Coddy · 12/03/2004 11:06

Nursery said a speech therapist was in abut someone else and said ds2s prob can be solved by putting his finger on his tongue to keep it down and saying
g, k etc..!

Beetybeetybangbang · 12/03/2004 11:56

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Coddy · 12/03/2004 11:57

yes have you ?

its bloody hard. Will try wiht ds1 and watch ds2 copy...he he he

hje has a long tongue - he wipes his nose with it. YUK

MancMum · 12/03/2004 13:24

I got a speech therapist out of the phone book after DS teacher recommended he and 75% of his class see one - she did a report and 2 sessions with him for 30 quid and said that for his age (4) he was totally age appropriate and his mispronuniciations were nothing to worry about - there was a 6 month wait in Manchester for NHS one.

She did say that too many kids were being refered far too early to see therapists - so I would not worry too much about it.

Twinkie · 12/03/2004 13:26

Know of one is 7oaks - is that too far away from you Mrs Clooney (are you really someone else??)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.