My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

General health

Dd has brown discharge - she's only 7

20 replies

Beadgirl · 03/11/2003 20:44

DD has come in from Brownies complaining that her knickers are dirty ... further investigation and it's a brown discharge! She's only 7, what can it be?? Surely not the beginning of periods!
Has anyone any advice? Could it be an infection?
Thanks

OP posts:
Beadgirl · 03/11/2003 21:14

Plaese, someone must know something....

OP posts:
codswallop · 03/11/2003 21:16

could she have aninfection? I would got to the dr if it happens again

codswallop · 03/11/2003 21:16

could she have aninfection? I would got to the dr if it happens again

codswallop · 03/11/2003 21:19

Looked on nhs direct but its all stds - no good

wilbur · 03/11/2003 21:47

I've just looked on WebMD which says any discharge "change" should be investigated by the doctor. Also asked my sis who is a paediatric nurse and she says it could be an infection or allergic reaction to something, not neccessarily a vaginal infection, could be a kidney thing (blood can be present in the urine, in some cases). But then again, it could be the start of periods - scary, but girls are getting them younger and I have heard of cases where they have started very, very young. It's very rare, but it does happen. Hope you can sort this out beadgirl. Does your dd have a temperature, or feel unwell?

Beadgirl · 03/11/2003 21:53

No, no temperature and feels fine. Altho' it is worrying her a little.
i'm worried about school tomorrow...should I send her with spare underwear, should I let her use a panty liner or will this worry her even more. Should I call to see her tomorrow at lunch time? Oh, so much to think about.

OP posts:
alibubbles · 03/11/2003 21:55

I found this on the net, most likely an infection of some sort.

Nonspecific vulvovaginitis (where no causative organism or irritant can be identified) can be seen in all age groups, but it occurs most commonly in young girls before puberty. Once puberty begins, the vagina becomes more acidic, which tends to help prevent infections. Nonspecific vulvovaginitis can occur in girls with poor genital hygiene and is characterized by a foul-smelling, brownish-green discharge and irritation of the labia and vaginal opening. This condition is often associated with an overgrowth of a type of bacteria that is typically found in the stool. These bacteria are sometimes spread from the rectum to the vaginal area by wiping from back to front after using the bathroom.

Apparently it is quite common from the age of 5 as this is when girls tend to take the responsibility for cleaning them selves. They can be a bit hasty with wiping and remebering to wipe from front to back.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

tealady · 03/11/2003 22:05

I would phone NHS direct for advice (Tel 0845 4647)- they are very helpful - and will know all the right q's to ask. Could it be a urine infection? - I would be wary of sending her to school until you have checked with a Doctor.

Beadgirl · 03/11/2003 22:08

Hopefully, this is what it is....she does tend to wipe back-to-front despite telling her not to. Haven't noticed a smell tho'. if it was periods would her breasts not have started to grow ( they haven't).
Thank you all so much for taking the time and effort to help me. I was so concerned when I thought it could be periods ... how could a 7 year old cope with that?

OP posts:
wilbur · 03/11/2003 22:08

Can you get an emergency dr appt first thing tomorrow? If it is an infection like the one alibubbles is talking about, it should probably be dealt with sooner rather than later. Does your ds know anything about periods/sex etc yet? What I mean is, if you offered her a pantyliner, would she know what that was for? Or might she just think it was something clever you had in your medicine chest? I think it would be better for her to wear one, just in case, rather than risk her being embarrassed at school .

Beadgirl · 03/11/2003 22:19

She knows a little about periods and knows I use panty liners to keep my underwear clean so i could ask her if she wanted to wear one.
Before bed time she asked " I won't have to stay off school will I? I'm not poorly, I'd hate to miss school." keeping her off will probably add to her troubles, so I'm going to try and get an appointment tomorrow morning, then her pick her up from school to take her, we can always nip home then so she can change her underwear if she needs to.
poor thing....

OP posts:
Beadgirl · 03/11/2003 22:27

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I'm off to bed now but with a clearer head.
i'll let you know how we get on.
Night night

OP posts:
binker · 04/11/2003 11:15

can't offer any useful advice, Beadgirl, but hope all is ok...

2under2 · 04/11/2003 13:47

Beadgirl, I remember reading an article about puberty in very young girls somewhere (Junior magazine years ago I think). Anyway, in there it said that if it's caught early enough it can be stopped with hormones and then let to happen when the time is more appropriate. I hope the appointment went ok and that it's just something that a course of antibiotics will sort out. Poor little thing!

Beadgirl · 04/11/2003 22:08

Just thought i'd let you know we went to GPs today. She siad it could be one of 2 things ... 1)her periods starting or 2)an infection. She said it isn't unknown for them to start at age 7 but uncommon. infection was more likely but as there were no other symptons ie. pain, fever or smell, she has sent away a swab. She's given her antibiotics anyway as the swab will take 7 days.
GP was very good with her. DD was very relaxed about it all.
Thankfully the discharge seems to have disappeared now. Hopefully I'll sleep at bit better tonight ..kept waking up & thinking about it last night.
Thanks for your help last night.

OP posts:
mears · 04/11/2003 23:08

Beadgirl - do you use bubble bath? That can be the culprit despite having no problems before. Try plain water baths for a while.

Cam · 05/11/2003 10:07

I've just had a thought about this - am wondering if you take the pill beadgirl and if so, could dd have taken one thinking it was a sweet? Please forgive me if I am completely wrong.

Beadgirl · 05/11/2003 10:37

Thanks Mears and Cam
No I don't take the pill so we can rule that one out, nor do they have buuble bath. However, they've recently been given bath crayons and they've played with those a lot. I wander if it could be those???

OP posts:
mears · 05/11/2003 10:56

Could be the crayons. Little girls can be prone to irritation by bath products.

Beadgirl · 05/11/2003 10:59

It's not going to be a popular decision but I willhide them ... hopefully out of sight, out of mind.
thanks Mears

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.