My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

General health

3 years after c-section, is my scar infected?

19 replies

cupofteaplease · 08/10/2010 21:52

Well this is embarrassing...

I have an overhang of skin after two sections and being overweight Blush. I've had some discomfort on my scar line and this evening it felt wet. When I lifted my skin to take a look I was knocked back by the putrid smell! The scar and skin around it is bright red with yellow patches- it's pretty vile.

I'm sure it's my fault for being overweight, however, this isn't normal, no? Any suggestions?

OP posts:
DinahRod · 08/10/2010 21:53

maybe yeast infection?

BooBooGlass · 08/10/2010 21:54

Definately soundslike an infection :(
fwiw, I didn;t even have a section, but was left with an overhang after both dc. Losing weight got rid of it completely, which was nothing short of a miracle in my eyes.
You need to get seen asap, and then start to work on losing the weight really, or it will continue to get reinfected

DirtyMartini · 08/10/2010 21:56


I bet you just have a bit of dermatitis, maybe an area of slight infection on the skin's surface, hopefully not anything deeper or more involved with the scar?

Maybe until you can see a GP, just clean it gently, put something like Savlon on it and some sterile dressing gauze-type fabric, or something gentle and absorbent along those lines? You need air to it, I'm not sure if that's achievable without asking you to hold it up with one hand all night...

Don't be embarrassed though. I think it happens to lots of people.

cupofteaplease · 08/10/2010 21:58

Shall I wait until Monday to see gp or is it worth going to out of hours doc tomorrow? I don't want to be ott.

I am taking charge of my weight, trying atkins diet at the moment to kick start weight loss.

Thanks for replies.

OP posts:
DirtyMartini · 08/10/2010 22:13

I honestly don't know. I guess it depends how much discomfort and worry it's causing you.

See how you feel in the morning. Have you got a good first aid kit with stuff to clean/soothe/protect it?

Actually, maybe you should go to OOH doc. Otherwise you're letting an infection of some sort go on for at least 48 more hours. If you go tomorrow they may give you something (ABs?) straight away.

Also, if your GP is anything like mine you could struggle to get an appt on Monday.

nooonit · 08/10/2010 22:13

Think (without being gross!) it's just got hot and sweaty (and often an area that misses getting dried well?)
Wash and dry well, sudocrem or savlon and talc. If still yukky on Mon I'd go to GP but if you're like me that will prob sort it!
(I have the same C-section overhang too! Don't think I have ever properly seen my scar!!!!)

AspieGirl · 08/10/2010 22:56

I get this. I use sudocrem. (Also get a similar thing under my busoms in summer).

It should go away with sudocrem (which seems to fix almost anything).

Try and keep it clean and non sticky. If it seems to be getting sticky and burny feeling, use some athlete's foot powder on it, but usually I find it clears up overnight with the sudocrem.

Hope this helps

June2009 · 09/10/2010 11:04

Can you wash it with clean water and see if it's just red (like a baby bum rash?).
I have had this and it just got sweaty so cleaned it with clean water, then dried it with the hairdryer and then put sudocrem on it (because it looked exactly like a rash), next day it was gone.
If it looks really aggressive after cleaning and like it is seeping from inside somehow it I'd get it checked by the doctor.

blushingm · 09/10/2010 19:44

it's called intertrigo - a fungal skin infection

I've had it under my boobs (they are massive) and I've had it along my scar too as I also have a bit of an overhang.

Doctor has prescribed Daktacort (sp) and canesten hydrocortisone. If it's really nasty try putting some athletes foot stuff on in and try and make sure when you bathe/shower you clean it and dry it well. Also don't use anything highly frangranced as it will really hurt and could aggravate it

does this sound familiar?

cupofteaplease · 09/10/2010 20:40

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Yes blushingm that looks exactly like what I have. Good to know it's common in overweight people... Blush

OP posts:
Hayleyj1982 · 10/01/2016 12:02

I have a weeping and sore c section
Scar after 3 years, and i have been told by a nurse to try sudocreme as it is antiseptic and a good healing cream.

Tabitha82 · 16/12/2019 04:26

Ok so my last C-section was about 11 years ago, but here in the last month maybe 2 I have had a lump underneath my scar that is constantly leaking fluid. Like it never stops draining. I really DNT have the money to see a Dr. Does anyone know what this may be.. I also get bumps under my breasts that are always draining fluid as well, it's like something is literally eating holes in my skin. Could this be some kind of cancer??

PoppyA12 · 24/12/2019 23:59

I get it every week its red sore and very smelly I've got the over hang how do I lose weight to get it to go away. Plus think it can be lazard too

Ntongue · 18/01/2020 18:10

I get those bumps as well. I have something called hidradentis suppurativa. I get boil like bumps. Mostly where I sweat. It’s super uncomfortable and I’ve also been noticing a couple at the site of my c section scar. It’s very uncomfortable

Delectable · 21/09/2021 19:29

Hello OP, I hope you got it sorted.
Infections like this can be more serious than they appear.

Runkle · 21/09/2021 19:57

Delectable the thread is nearly 11 years old so I would hope the OP is sorted by now Wink

Delectable · 21/09/2021 22:10

@Runkle I read the whole thread and the last comment was 2020. I didn't note the dates on the others. I came to this thread having searched similar key words in Google. A friend died almost after her CS. It had to be reopened. I didn't realise people had complications with the scar afterwards.

Littlelegslisa · 27/09/2021 15:02


Not sure if you will see this message but I have had this problem for over 5 years, did you find anything to help?? Many thanks

crayray · 27/09/2021 23:15

I get this and keep it at bay by using Medipure body powder after a bath/shower. That helps prevent it but if it does occur I use daktacort to clear it up.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.