Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Geeky stuff

help creating an excel document for the football tote/lottery please

11 replies

Tigi · 03/01/2008 21:56

Hi, to save hubby time, I have created an excel doc that will list all of the football players names, and their tote numbers. They draw the tote weekly and pick 2 numbers. At the moment they leaf through vast numbers of paper to find the winners. So, anyway, i have prepared a document that will list the player, and their numbers (they can pick up to 5). If I use edit, and search, I can look for one number at a time.
Question - can I look for two numbers - so the job can be done all in one go? Or can i fix the search so that it highlights all the searched numbers prior to the search of the second number?

Hope that makes sense! ta

OP posts:
NotQuiteCockney · 04/01/2008 08:41

Hmmm.

Ok, this is excel, right?

This is how I would do it:

1. Set up two cells that you put the winning numbers in. Let's say these are F1 and G1

2. Set up an @If type column on the regular columns. Let's say this column is column C, and the regular numbers are in column B. I would use a formula like: =+IF(OR(B1=$F$1,B1=$G$1),TRUE,FALSE). Then copy the formula down column C.
3. Use data-filter to select only rows where C is TRUE.
Tigi · 04/01/2008 20:07

okay.......... not ever so techie, but I'll have a go! my table I have set up is very simple really! I'd tried to search online for a template, but not found anything. So its just a table, that i would then search through. i'll have a fiddle and see!

OP posts:
littlelapin · 04/01/2008 20:11

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tigi · 05/01/2008 17:08

I tried with NQC but struggled to make much sense!

I have column 1 - names, 2 is numbers (and more!)

i will try then next bit after tea........ Thanks for both of your help!

OP posts:
littlelapin · 05/01/2008 19:48

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuiteCockney · 06/01/2008 08:36

littlelapin's method is probably easier than mine. I've never used vlookup.

Tigi · 06/01/2008 20:45

nooo, didn't work..........

OP posts:
NotQuiteCockney · 08/01/2008 08:42

Ok, look, just mail it to me. I'm @gmail.com.

I'll set it up so it sorts it out for you.

Bump this thread when you've sent it, as I don't normally check that email account.

Tigi · 08/01/2008 20:29

Thank you , thats really kind, but I don't like to trouble you! I thought it would be something simple to do! I now have an excel manual, so was going to have a look at that. I'll do that first, and see how I get on! Thanks again.

OP posts:
NotQuiteCockney · 08/01/2008 20:43

Ok, well, doing it would be easier than explaining it, tbh.

CoteDAzur · 08/01/2008 21:21

vlookup is a command from a program used before excel became the standard. Can't even remember its name now.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.