Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone having different results with coir based compost/ growbags

Onesmallstepforaman · 28/06/2022 22:50

My tomatoes and cucumbers aren't as strong plants this year despite getting a good start. The compost seems to dry out really quickly, and root development seems limited

OP's posts:
Please
or

Delphigirl · 28/06/2022 22:52

I agree. Several of my tomatoes have shrivelled and died. There doesn’t seem to be much water retention and then they are left sitting in this dry wiry stuff.

Please
or

Onesmallstepforaman · 29/06/2022 16:41

I think I'm going to try adding some of the garden soil to the mix when potting on next year. It's heavy clay so will retain nutrient and water better

OP's posts:
Please
or

deplorabelle · 03/07/2022 23:59

I don't think I've ever used coir but I've been peat free for ten years or so and it works just fine. If you're worried about the texture try adding composted farmyard manure which should make it stick together a bit more.

Please
or

deplorabelle · 04/07/2022 00:04

Also, chop the bottom off a plastic bottle, make holes on the lid and bury it lid down in the grow bag. Water as normal but then top up the bottle with water so there is a steady stream of moisture dripping in and the coir won't dry out so fast

Please
or

MereDintofPandiculation · 04/07/2022 08:53

Ive been peat free for as many years as I can remember. No problems with tomato and cucumber crops. I do water every day, every two days max, and if you let it dry out, you need to leave the pot standing in water while the compost re-wets and soaks up all the water.

Please
or

OhmygodDont · 05/07/2022 16:50

I find it drys fast but slugs hate it so win and lose.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.