Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What has happened to this hydrangea?

newnamethanks · 28/06/2022 09:04

It should look beautiful. It does not, it's been cut back to ground and inside stems look like this. Has it come to the end of it's life?😰

What has happened to this hydrangea? What has happened to this hydrangea?
OP's posts:
Please
or

HollysBush · 28/06/2022 09:06

Looks beautiful to me, although a bit floppy? Lack of water?

Please
or

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 28/06/2022 09:11

Are these before and after shots? Hydrangeas are not great growing in tubs after a couple of years, they are big shrubs and they need root room and plenty of water. They also prefer some shade for at least part of the day.
that looks as if it might be Annabelle? If so , it wants to be in open ground. Cut it back give it plenty of water and move it.

Please
or

Stickytreacle · 28/06/2022 09:12

If it's an Annabelle hydrangea then underweight of the foreheads make them flip and the need supporting. There is a thicker stemmed variety called Strong Anabelle which doesn't need supporting. It may just be the heat we've had that's affected it?
I'd feed and keep well watered and see what happens.

Please
or

Stickytreacle · 28/06/2022 09:14

Weight and flowers that should say 🙄 Also agree it would be better in the ground.

Please
or

Numbat2022 · 28/06/2022 09:15

That stem looks fine, there's life in there. Who cut it back?

If that first photo is what it looks like now it's fine, it's just flopping because the heads are heavy and possibly lack of water (hydra in hydrangea means it likes water). Next year get some stakes in early, or move it somewhere where it has more space.

Please
or

caringcarer · 28/06/2022 09:43

It won't do well in a patio container. It needs to be able to set its roots deeper. That on itself would stabilise plant. Give it a good water twice a week at night water with tomato feed in. Wait until flowers gone over trim it back and replant in ground with more space.

Please
or

newnamethanks · 28/06/2022 10:06

Thank you all. It's Annabelle and it's in the ground not in a container, flowery pic is from last year. It was looking sad and weedy, not healthy as before, so cut it back as it just looked unwell. The stem, does it look healthy? I've never looked closely at the stem before and thought it looked suspect. However, will feed and water what's left and see how it goes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NoToLandfill · 28/06/2022 10:13

Feed it more?

Please
or

Daisydoesnt · 28/06/2022 10:16

Have you just cut it down now? Seems a very strange time to do it!

Please
or

Numbat2022 · 28/06/2022 10:25

It probably needed more water, we've had an incredibly dry spring. I doubt it will flower this year now but look after it and you should get flowers next year.

Please
or

Steakcutchipswithsteak · 28/06/2022 10:26

My mother said to only cut hydrangeas in february.

We had one that looked too heavy as well. We cut it back a lot and cut it in half including removing the roots. It's smaller now but much happier.

What has happened to this hydrangea?
Please
or

newnamethanks · 28/06/2022 11:01

Mothers are always right so I'll bear that in mind. Your hydrangea looks good.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stickytreacle · 28/06/2022 19:40

Anabelle flowers on new growth, so it should still flower for you I prune mine when it gets out of bounds and it still flowers.

Please
or

newnamethanks · 30/06/2022 11:06

Thanks everyone. I thought she was done for but will leave her alone and cross fingers for her return next year.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.