Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Why's my hydrangea not flowering?

kumquattish · 27/06/2022 21:57

I bought a couple of hydrangeas from Crocus in the spring, and planted them in the ground. They're in a partially shaded spot but do get some morning sun. I keep them watered.

They came quite small with no flowers. They haven't yet flowered. Will they not flower this year then?

Separately we have an established hydrangea that we inherited from the previous owner and it hasn't flowered this year either! It looks otherwise healthy. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you hydrangea experts in advance!

OP's posts:
Please
or

amidsummernightsdream · 27/06/2022 22:13

Its only just really getting to hydrangea flowering season. Mine are just starting to come out now but they are in a very sunny spot.
if yours are in a shaded spot, they will be later still.
They can last well into Autumn though, i had flowers on mine until december one year

Please
or

RosesAndHellebores · 27/06/2022 22:18

Did you prune the established one last year? Mopheads don't flower after pruning because the buds form during the previous season.

Your little ones might just need to get established.

Do check for scale. It's been a bugger this year - white scaly patches on the underside of the leaves and the stems. You need to cut off the affected stems and spray with a systemic bug killer.

Please
or

TodaysSocks · 28/06/2022 09:09

My, perfectly healthy, hydrangea has only just started to form tiny buds.

There's time yet....

Please
or

Petronus · 28/06/2022 09:14

None of mine are flowering yet. I’m quite sure they will though, it’s still early. I think it can be well into July or later before they get going in my garden.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 28/06/2022 09:17

Mine isn't yet either.

Please
or

HensInTheSkirtingBoard · 28/06/2022 10:08

Mine have only just started flowering.

Please
or

Farawayfromhere · 28/06/2022 10:12

This is no help but I find hydrangeas very temperamental. I’m sure it’s my impatient approach to gardening but I have never got on with them.

Please
or

Anyfeckinusername · 28/06/2022 10:17

Mine has no buds either but it did bloom last year. I had to cut it back hard though after it got infected. Growth looks good and leafy this year so far but no buds - i guess it’s too late for me to expect flowers in it (they were so pretty!) - also I’m clueless about gardening.

Please
or

Steakcutchipswithsteak · 28/06/2022 10:21

Mine started flowering last week. They're a bit later than usual this year (mainland Europe).

Please
or

Gingercatlover · 28/06/2022 10:25

I guess it depends on the type, we bought one around a month back and the flowers have died off already, even though it apparently flowers in June, July and August?
Disappointed.

Please
or

RosesAndHellebores · 28/06/2022 10:40

They take a while to get going. They need good soil, and a regular feed. They also need a lot of water, every day in dry weather. Once they establish they give and give. It's worth reading up about them as different varieties need different care.

Please
or

kumquattish · 28/06/2022 19:32

Thanks all! I'll not worry then.

We moved into our new house last autumn so we have pruned nothing. The established hydrangea didn't have flowers at that point (that I can recall). I don't know how best to work out what type of hydrangea it is now?

OP's posts:
Please
or

kumquattish · 28/06/2022 19:35

PS my new ones are:

1. Petiolaris (a climber)
  2. paniculata 'Vanille Fraise'
  3. macrophylla Mariesii Perfecta
OP's posts:
Please
or

kumquattish · 28/06/2022 19:35

Are they mopheaded??

OP's posts:
Please
or

TodaysSocks · 28/06/2022 19:39

Gingercatlover · 28/06/2022 10:25

I guess it depends on the type, we bought one around a month back and the flowers have died off already, even though it apparently flowers in June, July and August?
Disappointed.

Garden centres grow plants to come into flower early so they look good in the shops. So, it often happens that they are done flowering soon after going home. Next year they will, no doubt, revert back to a slightly later and more 'normal' time.

Please
or

gingersplodgecat · 28/06/2022 19:45

My lacecap hydrangea is covered in buds now. It flowers much better some years than others.

Last year it didn't flower at all, possibly, I think, because a lot of the tender new growth was hit hard by a late spring frost.

Please
or

TheNoodlesIncident · 29/06/2022 21:07

The macrophylla is a mophead. 'Vanille Fraise' flowers on the new season's growth.

It's best to watch and wait for the first year of a new established garden, as some things aren't visible at different times of the year. Maybe keep a photographic record of what comes up and when, to give you a better idea of what you want to retain and what you'd rather get rid of (if anything). Then you can plan how you want the garden to look and gradually change it.

Hydrangeas are hungry and thirsty generally, and definitely in their first year when they are establishing their root systems.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.