Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Vanishing sunflower?

3amAndImStillAwake · 27/06/2022 18:01

We grew a sunflower this year and it flowered a few days ago, much to the delight of our three year old who had been watering it. It was there this morning, a big, healthy looking flower. We went out for the day and we've come back and the flower has just gone. There's no trace of it, not even some petals on the ground.

Does anything eat sunflowers in a way that would mean they'd carry off the whole thing?? A team of sunflower seed loving squirrels perhaps? We just can't imagine where it can have gone.

OP's posts:
Please
or

APurpleSquirrel · 27/06/2022 18:22

Was it somewhere that another person could get to it?
Has the whole stem gone or just the flower?

Please
or

3amAndImStillAwake · 27/06/2022 18:27

Yes, theoretically our neighbour could have reached over the fence (it's lower at the end of the garden where the flower was) and got it. But that would be pretty weird.. We don't know them that well but they've never come across as flower stealing oddballs.

It looks like a fairly clean break on the stem just below where the flower was.

OP's posts:
Please
or

APurpleSquirrel · 27/06/2022 18:38

I've grown lots of sunflowers before & nothing animal-wise has every taken a flower, so if there's no evidence in your garden that it's snapped in the wind it does sound like it's been flower-knapped.

Please
or

Mavisisnotmyname · 27/06/2022 18:43

I bet it was a squirrel, they are clever little buggers! Notorious for nicking sunflower heads

Please
or

ElspethBoomingHowsen · 27/06/2022 18:45

I love a mystery!
I’m going to imagine a pluck little squirrel

Please
or

MeDearNoDear · 27/06/2022 18:51

Yes, squirrels. They did exactly that to one of mine and DH caught them in the act.

Please
or

ponderingpenguins · 27/06/2022 18:52

Really? Squirrels? I never knew they did that. (And am quite thrilled by the idea!)

Please
or

3amAndImStillAwake · 27/06/2022 19:01

MeDearNoDear · 27/06/2022 18:51

Yes, squirrels. They did exactly that to one of mine and DH caught them in the act.

Really?? Our garden backs onto woodland so we get a lot of squirrels. But I didn't think they'd steal a flower!

OP's posts:
Please
or

starlight36 · 27/06/2022 19:09

Squirrels have taken some of ours as well in the past. It is very annoying.

Please
or

APurpleSquirrel · 27/06/2022 19:11

Mavisisnotmyname · 27/06/2022 18:43

I bet it was a squirrel, they are clever little buggers! Notorious for nicking sunflower heads

So do they take the flower before the seeds are fully formed?
No squirrels near us (or at least none that have ever come in our garden) so not experienced it.

Please
or

corlan · 27/06/2022 19:19

Squirrels - they look cute but they're total arseholes. They've even bitten through the rope on my swingball more than once. They just like destroying things!

Please
or

3amAndImStillAwake · 27/06/2022 19:22

How annoying. We've not grown them before and DD was so disappointed her sunflower had gone.

But it's good to know I don't have neighbours getting trigger happy with their secateurs.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.