Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How often to cut grass in summer?

Caspianberg · 27/06/2022 15:38

Ideally I want to cut as little as possible, whilst having a usually lawn for toddler.

half the garden is already left long and wild.

too short and it needs watering more in the heat. It’s 30-35 most days from now until September where I am.

Once every 10 days? More? Less? It’s currently green, with lots of clover/ weeds. Cut at 40mm, probably double height already around a week later

OP's posts:
Please
or

AlisonDonut · 27/06/2022 15:41

Watering? You don't water a lawn, that's why we use grass as it can take the harsh lack of water and come back when it rains later in the season.

Anyway, we were mowing once a week, it's the weeds that grow back not the grass. But we then bought a robot mower and he keeps on top of it.

Please
or

Wellthatsjustswell · 27/06/2022 15:43

Ours generally needs doing at least once a week in summer, sometimes after around 5 days. It depends on if there has been a shower after it was last cut or not.
we don’t water it, around 1/4 of it is left growing long for the insects / cat to play in.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 27/06/2022 16:01

1/2 of it all at the back and on slopes (about 1/4 acre) is left wild and long and not watered. I haven’t actually watered this year, I just know it goes brown quicker if I cut too short, hence I long cut, and maybe it needs cutting more frequently? Or maybe that’s just grass and 10 days+ between cuttings is optimistic

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yarnasaurus · 27/06/2022 16:03

Once a week here, not too short, and if it goes brown it later recovers. I'd never water a lawn.

Please
or

MereDintofPandiculation · 27/06/2022 16:13

Fifty years ago the advice was twice a week, but most people did it once a week

Please
or

Silverplatedchocolatehobnob · 27/06/2022 16:27

Hourly the way ours is growing
Sorry - I would say weekly or fortnightly if you can get away with it

Please
or

MintJulia · 27/06/2022 16:30

Definitely don't water - just an expensive waste.

I set my mower at about 2" and mow it even once a week. Short enough to play on, long enough to not dry out too quickly.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 27/06/2022 16:36

hmm. It appears I probably should have a go at mowing it this evening then when it’s cooled down.

Dh was saying it was looking a bit long and I was all ‘ yeah it’s fine, I only cut it 10 days ago..’

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yamadori · 28/06/2022 19:54

For a nice lush lawn that's soft underfoot, then you need to give it a quick once-over every 2-3 days and let the clippings fall onto the grass instead of picking them up in a grass box. They mulch the surface of the soil, and help to retain moisture.

40mm is probably about right for a hot climate, and you could probably get away with a cut once a week. I'm guessing you aren't in the UK - do you know what hardiness zone you are in?

Please
or

Caspianberg · 28/06/2022 20:01

@Yamadori - thank you. There’s no hope of me getting time to mow the lawn every other day unfortunately.
According to online Map I’m in hardiness zone 7a/6b borders. Winters basically snowy, summers hot.

I do sometimes leave the back storage box off and leave cuttings on grass. Simply as my compost bins are getting rather full already

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yamadori · 28/06/2022 20:33

Yes, 2-3 days would be in UK climate really. You could probably get away with 10 days at a push, but once a week might be better if you can manage it. Frequent mowing encourages the grass to fill out sideways instead of upwards.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.