Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please help me identify these wildflowers

PrincessFiorimonde · 23/06/2022 20:55

I'm a rotten photographer, but I hope someone can help me identify these wildflowers. The tall pink one is absolutely rampant in my garden. The one with tiny white flowers has only recently appeared. I don't mind wildflowers at all, especially if pollinators like them, but I'm curious about what these flowers are.

(By the way, I know that the plant to the left of the white-flowering plant is herb Robert/Robert's geranium. I tolerate it to some extent.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please help me identify these wildflowers Please help me identify these wildflowers Please help me identify these wildflowers
OP's posts:
Please
or

IcakethereforeIam · 23/06/2022 22:21

Not 100% sure but the pink one looks like a willowherb, possibly rosebay willowherb but there are lots of smaller species, it could be one of them. The other one could be enchanter's nightshade. I've only seen that growing wild in woodland but it's commo so could pop up in gardens.

Please
or

gingersplodgecat · 23/06/2022 22:53

Agree about the pink one being willowherb, get rid of it asap, they seed themselves everywhere and you will end up with thousands everywhere.

Please
or
Please
or

User79865765 · 24/06/2022 06:41

The first one (pink with smooth not furry leaves) is definitely rosebay willow herb.

take it out before it flowers (or if you have a wildflower area in your garden, relocate it)

Please
or

flyingwalrus · 24/06/2022 07:09

First one and middle one are different species of Epilobium willowherbs. Neither is Rosebay Willowherb. Last is Enchanter's Nightshade.

Please
or

MereDintofPandiculation · 24/06/2022 09:54

User79865765 · 24/06/2022 06:41

The first one (pink with smooth not furry leaves) is definitely rosebay willow herb.

take it out before it flowers (or if you have a wildflower area in your garden, relocate it)

It most definitely isnt! Flowers too pale and not in a terminal spike

Please
or

User79865765 · 24/06/2022 09:55

Ok sorry guys, I bow to your superior knowledge.

still pull it out unless you want it everywhere 😆

Please
or

MereDintofPandiculation · 24/06/2022 10:06

flyingwalrus · 24/06/2022 07:09

First one and middle one are different species of Epilobium willowherbs. Neither is Rosebay Willowherb. Last is Enchanter's Nightshade.

Yes, that’s right.

Smaller willow-herb on L of first pic is a willowherb, quite possibly Epilobium montanum (need to check what shape the stigma is). Larger willowherb looks like Greater Willowherb Epilobium hirsutum (I usually keep some of this for the flowers then dead head before it sets seed for the sake of the neighbours). White flower is Enchanters Nightshade, Circaea lutetiana. It's not in the same family as the other nightshades, it’s in the willowherb/eveing primrose/Fuchsia family.

Finally, the sprawling plant with pink flowers and lacy leaves is Herb Robert, Geranium robertianum.

Please
or

PrincessFiorimonde · 24/06/2022 11:00

Thanks very much for your help.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MereDintofPandiculation · 24/06/2022 14:30

Sorry, OP, I’d forgotten you said you knew the Herb Robert

Please
or

MattBerrysHair · 24/06/2022 21:38

Dig out the Enchanters Nightshade, making sure you get all the white fleshy roots. It spreads like crazy and gets into the root balls of other plants in the same way bindweed does.

Please
or

PrincessFiorimonde · 25/06/2022 20:54

You are all very knowledgeable and helpful, so thank you again.

I've never even heard of enchanter's nightshade before!

But I am very new to gardening. Until a couple of years ago DP and I lived for decades in upstairs flats/maisonettes, so we only had house plants to worry about.

We now have a place with a small garden, and decided we'd allow self-seeding wildflowers in a particular area. I don't mind things like bindweed (in fact I love the flowers) and herb robert, but only to a certain extent - I know I need to keep pulling clumps of them out to prevent them taking over. I can now see I need to do the same with the willowherb and enchanter's nightshade too.

We have poor soil and a big slug problem, so it's been a bit of a concern finding plants to suit, apart from things like geraniums, heucheras, pansies and some salvias, many of which we grow in pots. I still mourn last year's nicotiana and sunflowers (among others) that were gobbled up. But I know that should be the subject of a separate thread!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.