Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Big pots

Sprat12 · 22/06/2022 18:48

Where to get big patio pots that won't break the bank? I love large ceramic planters but they cost an arm and a leg!

Does anyone have recommendations for cheapey versions or failing that just good large planters that I won't have to sell a kidney to purchase?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Zebracat · 22/06/2022 19:41

Erringtons salt glazed pots. fabulous massive hand made in England pots, cheaper than plastic.

Please
or

kumquattish · 22/06/2022 19:55

I was wondering this question too. I've just looked at Errington and am now wondering what type of plastic PP buys where it's cheaper than Errington!

OP, I tend to buy terracotta pots from garden centre. Ceramic is a lot more expensive but the cheapest I've seen have been in garden centres. If you buy online, I think a large portion of the cost will be delivery, so it's probably not worthwhile unless you're buying in bulk.

Please
or

Zebracat · 23/06/2022 11:35

@kumquattish At our local garden centre, Absolutely enormous Errington pots are less than £60.00 . Similar sized plastic are about £50.00, so I agree that Erringtons are very slightly more expensive for initial outlay. But they last forever. Plastic gets brittle after a few years. This really came home to me when I needed to repot our Christmas tree. I wanted plastic because we bring it in the house, but it was a lot of money for an ugly pot. And the tree died.

Please
or

kumquattish · 23/06/2022 18:22

@Zebracat ah you're lucky then. On their website the pots are expensive.

Please
or

Geneticsbunny · 23/06/2022 18:29

Is there a plant pot factory shop near you? Naylor's factory outlet is in South Yorkshire and I bought 4 huge pots for £100 the other day.

Please
or

Geneticsbunny · 23/06/2022 18:30

I actually came on to post that I do like big pots and I cannot lie...🎶

Please
or

Imicola · 23/06/2022 19:18

Morrisons had reasonable sized glazed pots recently which seemed cheaper than you'd get in the garden centre. I would have got some if I'd not had my 3 year old with me!

Please
or

Noglassjustthebottleandastraw · 24/06/2022 23:18

I bought mine from B and M bargains. They are fab and have survived a good few Highland winters.

Please
or

deplorabelle · 26/06/2022 09:19

Another one saying B&M - they often have large plastic pots that have lasted me many years and look okay.

You can also go for cheaper containers with a decorative covering. In the past I've done planting bags with willow screening around them, and I have a tree planted in our old kitchen bin which is then wrapped in a coffee sack to disguise the container.

Please
or

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 26/06/2022 09:21

Aldi had some huge black plastic ones ( 40cm diameter, 35 Hugh, tapered) for £4.50 last month. Mine are now full of potatoes!

Please
or

majorquimby · 26/06/2022 09:27

Mina are from homebase, I have terracotta and ceramic ones. They ofter have 3 for 2 or 20% off if you spend over £40 deals

Please
or

Beebumble2 · 26/06/2022 09:56

I recently bought a 45cm pot from a National Trust shop. It’s. Made from recycled plastic, lovely grey/green colour, very sturdy and £27.

Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 26/06/2022 10:23

My local Aldi had some for under £10 in the middle aisle yesterday.

I bought this plastic one for £38 from B&Q. Didn't bother cropping out the compost bags in the photo so hopefully you have a sense of scale. It's about 50cm diameter.

Big pots
Please
or

BlooberryBiskits · 03/07/2022 13:36

Try Morrisons and B&M. These wooden planters were £12 from B&M (and I have seen them for £8 at home bargains)

Ive put plastic buckets inside which cost £1.50 from Homebase: for a 14l pot that’s pretty cheap (drilled holes in bottom of bucket for drainage). This means I can pull the bucket out to change at the end of the year v easily too

Big pots
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.