My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find tips and tricks to make your garden or allotment flourish on our Gardening forum.

Gardening

Huge pots for trees - where to get?

27 replies

Ruralbliss · 20/07/2021 19:18

I've just had an offer accepted on the nicest house currently available in my target town within my budget but sadly the garden is tiny. I'm downshifting from an acre of grounds so trying to console myself with planning a luscious container garden.

I can't find any suppliers online of extra large pots which I can plant small trees in.

Any leads gratefully received. Thanks

OP posts:
byvirtue · 20/07/2021 19:32

Large pots are insanely heavy and if terracotta you obviously have to be gentle with them in transit hence you don’t see many to buy online.

Can you drive? an independent garden centre might be your best bet, we bought loads this month half price.

WobblyLondoner · 20/07/2021 20:05

I've done very well using these black plastic ones. They are not the most gorgeous things but are cheap, durable, huge and light. Thoroughly recommend. Was just thinking I need to go a size up for my poor potbound Acer which is currently languishing in a 75 litre pot.

www.hartcanna.com/

Eleoura · 20/07/2021 20:13

I saw some large pots on sale at B&Q last week. They were all a magenta colour though. How are large do you want? They will likely get cheaper towards the end of summer. This one is 70cm wide.

www.diy.com/departments/nurgul-pink-plastic-round-plant-pot-dia-70cm/1914943_BQ.prd

florentina1 · 20/07/2021 21:15

Capi touch fifbre glass sometimes under the name of cadix

indignatio · 20/07/2021 21:28

Don't know where Bunny Guiness sources the pots, but like the idea of removing the bottom

Ruralbliss · 20/07/2021 21:35

Thanks all!

Off to take a look at all those links
Good point about weight so plastic or fibre glass for the largest it will have to be I think.

Off to create a mood board. I keep crying at the thought of teeny garden ahead but also overjoyed at all the hours of leisure time I'll have.

OP posts:
ErrolTheDragon · 20/07/2021 21:54

I've got some accidental trees in plastic pots - probably not as large as you're thinking of but they do tend to blow over.
So - if you can get the position right and not have to move it - I'd be inclined to go for a heavy pot. And soil based compost would probably help.

Capricornandproud · 20/07/2021 22:01

For the mean time and transportation have you thought of tonne weight bags? The type that hold sand? Also I have made massive cheap planters out of decking boards…

MrsFin · 20/07/2021 22:05

B&Q have some nice big plastic pots. I have small trees growing in a couple.

NotwatchingSpooks · 20/07/2021 22:06

What are the dimensions of your new garden, perhaps we can give you some ideas, to make it really lovely

Mamamia35 · 20/07/2021 22:23

Woodblocx might be a good investment if it's going to be a long term garden. You can do made to measure. Good luck with the move.

Ruralbliss · 20/07/2021 22:49

@WobblyLondoner those are huge! And pretty cheap too.

@NotwatchingSpooks thanks that's a great suggestion I don't actually know the dimensions but can do a guess as runs the width of the house which according to floor plans is 11 metres wide plus extra for gates at either side. And maybe 8 metres at its deepest end. It tapers.

Here's a couple of pics and then one of my friends sent for inspiration when I needed consoling at the prospect of shifting from large scale gardening to micro.

I'd like to squeeze in a teeny pond, trees, flowers, herbs & possibly veg, a couple of hens (as my daughter won't let them be rehomed), seating for eating & sunbathing... 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

OP posts:
PuntasticUsername · 21/07/2021 10:37

On the off chance that you're in the SW - I've inherited a few giant blue glazed pots that I probably won't use any time soon. DM me if of interest 😊

Caspianberg · 21/07/2021 10:45

I think you might be better off building your own raised beds or pots. Wooden, with liner inside.
That way you can build ( or get someone else) to custom sizes for awkward corners or shapes and then weight and size moving in not an issue

stodgystollen · 21/07/2021 10:56

It depends how big you want the trees to be. Up to about 1.5m, trees are ok in 40cm pots if you give them new compost regularly, trim the roots and buy dwarf varieties. Bigger than that and you probably want a raised bed like the grey one in your photo, but the roots are likely to make it unstable over the years. We've made planters out of old pallets lined with geotextile for tomatoes and potatoes. They're light so we can move them around year to year.

The pictures you sent are 3x bigger than our garden and we still have loads of small fruit trees! The trick with small gardens is to lose the lawn: it's extra work for almost no gain and you can make much more interest out of planters and raised beds around a smallish patio seating area. It's better for the environment too!

stodgystollen · 21/07/2021 11:05

This is our small patio garden. It even has a pond in the raised bed, bottom left!

Ruralbliss · 21/07/2021 14:23

Oh wow @stodgystollen that is inspiration indeed!

Good idea to lose the lawn and have the very centre of the garden as the utility zone this maximising all round the edge for growing All The Things. I'm beginning to look forward to this challenge!

Many thanks @PuntasticUsername I'm not in SW (anymore) but many thanks for your offer of lovely sounding pots.

I guess I'll wait to see if this house purchase goes through to completion then get there probably autumn, decompress for the winter, see what emerges in narrow beds over spring/summer 2022 but meanwhile start sketching ideas and plans to begin to implement. It's bare tarmac at the front so might start there with pots, hanging baskets and climbers etc.

OP posts:
Bluntness100 · 21/07/2021 14:30

I don’t know what you’re looking for size wise, but these are decent, and you can use the inners seperately to thr outers, meaning you basically get two pots

www.amazon.co.uk/flower-planters-planting-rattan-optics-plastic/dp/B073B5W5DX/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&crid=2YFMWPM5NO4ZI&keywords=rattan%20planter&sprefix=Rattan%20olan%2Caps%2C173&qid=1626874093&sr=8-13&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

TheHomeEdit · 21/07/2021 15:04

Is this a container garden so that you can move your favourite plants or something for the new garden? As a previous poster suggested if it’s just for the temporary move the fabric bag mini skips or even the ones that trees come from nursery’s in would be ideal.

I don’t understand why you need trees in pots in that garden - it’s really not that small - I was visualising a small concrete yard! Spending time and maybe money if you can’t do it yourself, on a good garden design to maximise the use of available space seems easier than doing everything in giant pots, which you won’t be able to move anyway.

WobblyLondoner · 21/07/2021 20:50

Blimey @Ruralbliss your possible new garden is pretty big - not sure why you need pots for trees?! There have been some great threads on here recently about trees for small gardens - definitely worth looking at some of those. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/gardening/4246171-trees-in-small-gardens

Ruralbliss · 21/07/2021 22:56

It's an estate agent trick photo it's small and narrow snd I can't have trees compromising the foundations so thought they'd need to be in containers although I hadn't remembered about dwarf species.

I'm a bit clueless as have gardened on a large scale with a garden where I've taken out 50+ trees snd still too many to count so want to recreate a woodland feel with lots of different species but in miniature

Hope this makes sense.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NotwatchingSpooks · 23/07/2021 17:59

stogystollen lovely garden.

Ruralbliss I think you could make that space lovely, the advice I was given is to think very carefully about the plants you put in as you really want to love them. It must be difficult to get your head round gardening in a much smaller space.

I’d spend some time visiting some gardens, looking through books to decide the feel that I wanted. The good thing is you can really create your own special place. Also look round your current garden and make lists of the plants you adore, perhaps take some cuttings. I’m sure it will be very satisfying to create something lovely.

Also from the photos it looks like you could definitely make the beds much bigger, which will give you room for more plants.

NotwatchingSpooks · 24/07/2021 09:00

With the woodland feel, I would not start out with any trees to begin with. The problem in a small garden tends to be getting the right balance between shade and sun.
You may also need to consider the impact of your trees on your neighbours gardens. Our neighbour was very grateful when we had to remove a tree (planted by previous owners) which had started to lean over dangerously onto our lawn, as it made her kitchen dark. They are fabulous neighbours, but they had never said anything about it, so I did not know and because it was already there it was not something that I had considered.

As others have said, think about plants to cover fences, maybe extra trellis and some big statement pots that you can plant up easily for the seasons.

purplesequins · 24/07/2021 09:08

where I am people seem to use these mixing troughs

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.