Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tell me about hosepipes

DirectionsForUse · 08/06/2021 11:18

I'd like a new hose pipe that can reach the bottom of my garden. Approx 25m

While I'm at it, I'd like it to be on a reel and easy/quick to wind back in.

Is it possible to use them partially wound or do you need to fully unwind it even if you only need it shorter?

I'm a fan of buying well and buying once so I'll pay what it takes to get a decent one that works well and will last, but the price range is huge. How do you know what to buy?

I'll also need a rose attachment. Anything else?

What do I need to know/look for?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BonnyEm · 08/06/2021 11:52

Don't buy an expandable hose.
Hozelock are the best!
Can be used partially unwinded.
Some come with different attachments.
I bought a cheap sprinkler from b&m to attach to mine.

Please
or

Raaraaboonah · 08/06/2021 11:55

I've got a hoselock retractable jobby. it has an autostop on it so you can unreel it as far as you want then release it slightly and it holds the hose at that length if you see what i mean.

it is pretty good and winds it back in automatically but the key tip is to do that with the tap off but the hose end open so that the water isn't in the hose when it goes back in. if you don't then the pipe does not wind in nicely and it will drive you nuts (hard learnt lesson)

Please
or

parietal · 08/06/2021 12:08

i have hozelock on a manual reel. you can still use it when partly unwound.

my only mistake was getting bright yellow instead of green. on the days I don't both with winding it in (too lazy), a green hose snaking down the garden would be camoflagued but the bright yellow is obvious and ugly.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 08/06/2021 12:58

i have hozelock on a manual reel. you can still use it when partly unwound.

Me too. We've had it years and it's still fine. We've had to replace the fittings a few times - this year DH has got some with metal joining bits and they seem so much better than plastic I think the latter are false economy. I'm mainly using a thing that looks like a gun - it can do a jet or a spray, and the trigger seems to work well so I'm not wasting water or spraying the dog as I move to different areas that need it.

www.hozelock.com/product/jet-spray-pro-ii/

Please
or

Megmargs · 08/06/2021 14:46

Depending where in the country you are, I have a hose on a reel I no longer need but itโ€™s not really postable ๐Ÿ˜‚

Please
or

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat · 09/06/2021 23:31

The Aldi retractable hose is a bargain with great reviews. We've just bought a cordless lawnmower and hedge trimmer and the quality is really good!

hose

(I don't work for Aldi!)

Please
or

Stickytreacle · 10/06/2021 08:34

The best hoses are the ones professionals use, they are made to last without kinking, unlike the majority of hoses. I use a Tricoflex hose which has lasted years. Have a look on waterirrigation.co.uk for examples.

Please
or

DirectionsForUse · 10/06/2021 10:09

I have a birthday coming up and my generous parents always ask what I'd like. A hosepipe is a reasonable request, right? If I'm really good my dad might fix it to the wall for me.

Last year I had good quality wellies Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

bigbluebus · 10/06/2021 10:19

I'd second a Hoselock one too. We're on our 2nd one at this house (been here 29 years though!). Ours is a manual rewind but it's easy to do and as others have said you can unreel just the amount of hose you need. Ours is attached to the wall on the back of the house but reaches all the way down our side path and to the far end of the house (5 bed detached). Lots of different attachments available too.

Please
or

Tinkletwat · 10/06/2021 10:49

Those of you with older Hozelock's - treasure them. I've had to return about 5 in the past 5 years due to faults, tried the expandable, regular, tough... now 3 months into an X-hose and so far so good, it's compatible with Hozelock parts. If that fails I'll try Gardena I guess.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.