My feed

to access all these features

Find tips and tricks to make your garden or allotment flourish on our Gardening forum.


Indoor gardening - plant pot holders

7 replies

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 23/04/2021 11:01

We have a couple of sizeable indoor plants and I'm struggling to find large decorative pots WITH NO DRAINAGE HOLES. I want to re-pot the plants in question into boring plastic pots, and then put those pots into something (preferably ceramic, but metal will do, plastic, anything really) that will protect the surface underneath (carpet, polished wood, whatever) from any moisture.

I did years ago find a large brass planter (in TK Maxx I think) but I haven't found anything similar since. I can find small pots, but big ones (4 litres plus) just don't seem to exist.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

OP posts:
Proudboomer · 23/04/2021 13:30
Thefirsttime · 23/04/2021 13:38

Homebase. They sell a whole range of scheurich ceramic pots in a range of sizes and designs. I otherwise dislike Homebase, but they’re pretty good for plant pots.

The other tip is to search cover pots rather than plant pots as the type you want are often called cover pots by shops.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 23/04/2021 17:27

Brilliant! Thank you both.

OP posts:
UniversalTruth · 23/04/2021 18:49

I have a house plant pot from IKEA that has a plastic base inside to catch drips, could try there.

GigantosaurusRex · 12/05/2021 20:40

Bit late to this but I've just bought some lovely pots and used silicone sealant around an old plastic milk carton lid to seal the holes inside the pot.

User0ne · 12/05/2021 20:57

I often find that the large plastic pots at garden centres need the holes to be drilled out (or they're marked but you need to do it yourself at home). So you could just not drill them out

MereDintofPandiculation · 13/05/2021 11:47

You can drop a saucer (one of those plastic ones made to go under large plastic plant pots) into the outer pot. Just remember the water capacity is limited!

Remember that ceramic pots which aren't glazed underneath will still let water seep out and leave marks.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.