My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find tips and tricks to make your garden or allotment flourish on our Gardening forum.

Gardening

Reasonably priced garden pots

39 replies

Oblahdeeoblahdoe · 10/03/2021 23:18

I'd like to increase the number of ceramic pots I have on my patio but I find the cost of them staggering. £20 or £30 at least for a decent sized pot so £100 wouldn't buy many HmmWhere do people buy pots that are reasonably priced?

OP posts:
AlwaysOnTheRun1014 · 07/04/2021 04:20

Got some basic ones from Morrison’s.

Homebase has lovely terracotta pots half the price of the same pots in our local garden centre, trouble is they’re not in stock near us. You could try!

Saz12 · 07/04/2021 20:36

I wrap my plastic pots in bubble wrap and put them in the greenhouse in winter (or in cold spells in winter!). I find otherwise the thin plastic just lets the cold straight through to the plant roots and even fairly hardy plants die readily if the roots freeze.
Doesn’t matter if it’s dimmed bedding though!

AprilFoolaround · 13/04/2021 21:39

I like the Stewart plastic planters. I'd love expensive ones but my budget doesn't stretch that far. Cheap pots and lots of plants are my way of brightening up a very dull gravel and fence garden.

Pottedpalm · 14/04/2021 08:26

Fo you have a branch of Home Sense? I was there yesterday and they have lots of big ceramic and metal pots. Much cheaper than the garden centre prices and some different looking ones. I don’t like plastic pots in the garden.

Proudboomer · 14/04/2021 09:41

I would avoid metal pots as if we get a hot summer they can get hot and cook the roots of the plants. If you love a particular metal planter and really must have it then think about lining it in some way to protest your plant roots or keep the plant in a plastic pot which you then place inside the metal planter.

JorisBonson · 14/04/2021 09:55

Asda do some.good reasonably priced ones.

See if you have a local independent garden centre too, we went to one near us last week and got some really nice big pots for about £15 each (and some MASSIVE rhododendrons to sit in them!).

EvilPea · 14/04/2021 09:59

There’s a florist wholesaler called country baskets that’s quite good for pots, they have online but a physical visit is better.

AlwaysOnTheRun1014 · 14/04/2021 10:14

Joris where about are you ? I’m in East London and my one is not cheap at all.

Pottedpalm · 14/04/2021 10:34

@Proudboomer

I would avoid metal pots as if we get a hot summer they can get hot and cook the roots of the plants. If you love a particular metal planter and really must have it then think about lining it in some way to protest your plant roots or keep the plant in a plastic pot which you then place inside the metal planter.

Yes; I have a big metal pot but the plant is in an old, rather scruffy chipped terracotta pot inside, on a bed of gravel.
viques · 14/04/2021 13:31

@AlwaysOnTheRun1014

Joris where about are you ? I’m in East London and my one is not cheap at all.

Try the B and M at Dagenham, they have a garden centre and decently priced pots, both plastic and clay.
AlwaysOnTheRun1014 · 14/04/2021 13:41

Thanks will try.

JorisBonson · 14/04/2021 15:31

@AlwaysOnTheRun1014 SE London, I go to The City Gardener in Bexleyheath Smile

applesandpears33 · 14/04/2021 15:42

@proudboomer - I hadn't thought of the pot heating up in the sun! Luckily, I have it in a spot in our north facing garden where it never gets any direct light. I've made a mental note never to move it to the front garden which is south facing. I'm growing a slow growing acer in it though so don't think there will be any need to move it for a while as the plant is happy but only grows a few cm a year.

I have had my eye on a rather nice metal planter at screen with envy for our front garden and will look for some plastic planters to put inside it. Thanks for the tip.

BumbleBuzz123 · 14/04/2021 15:43

Thank you!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.