My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you have a family member in the Royal Navy, RAF or army, find support from other Mumsnetters here.

Forces sweethearts

Dinner Party Music list

11 replies

vintageteacups · 11/05/2011 12:07

Okay - so this might be a tricky one but wondering if anyone can send me an example of their play list of music they play at dinner parties.

I know this isn't specifically 'Forces Sweetehearts' but these will be formal entertaining dinners and my taste is music is a little quirky. I found a CD on Amazon called something like Dinner Party Music (or similar) and it was a bit crap actually.

I think we may have discussed it before but can't find thread.

Basically, I actually think that music whilst talking at dinner is annoying - shall I not even bother with music?

OP posts:
vintageteacups · 11/05/2011 12:10

My own choice would be classical by the way - I'm wrong aren't I Grin

OP posts:
SexyDragonStarlet · 11/05/2011 12:15

Hmmm, difficult isn't it! I think you're right. Playing music during dinner is annoying but it is a good idea to play something quietly as people arrive. Can hide any awkward silences that occur and also can actually help start conversations! I have a playlist on my ipod that has a real mix of stuff on it (from 60's up to today) that often gets things going. Examples are;
Duran Duran - Ordinary World and Rio
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb
Sting - Desert Rose
Moonlight Shadow - Mike Oldfield
Take That - Patience
Ben E King - Stand by Me
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful

I guess they're all relatively quiet song and quite melodic (which is always good for background music)

Not sure if that helps at all actually!

vintageteacups · 11/05/2011 12:34

Thanks sexydragon - that is helpful - so chart hits good then I guess for melodic and tuneful.

Good idea - to just play before and after dinner and not through dinner.
Will write down your list.

we currently don't have an ipod so once we get one, I can then download a 'dinner party play list' onto it.

OP posts:
wheresthepimms · 11/05/2011 13:33

vintage I wouldn't get an ipod just upgrade you pc with some good music software and plug it into a good sound system and then you can bypass all the ipod sillyness about tunes not being owned by the ipod. They can be really annoying at times, although sure your DD will be able to work it Grin

vintageteacups · 11/05/2011 13:37

whooooosh!!!!!!!

Yep - will ask dd to translate ;)

OP posts:
TalcAndTurnips · 11/05/2011 16:03

I'm a classical lover - but also love many other genres. Classical can sound as if you're trying a bit too hard - sometimes it reminds me of the portrayal of the Majors' wives in the earlier episodes of Soldier Soldier; always a Mozart string quartet playing when they were at home, and staff FFS Grin

A lovely bit of Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday can sound reet classy. Or why not totally throw the rule book out of the window and play Village People greatest hits or the soundtrack to Top Gun or something equally cheesy - be remembered for being a bit different! We played a CD of lounge music once; Cocktail Capers, I think it was called. Went down a storm! As long as it's subtle and there's no swearing on the tracks you should be ok.

MrsSnaplegs · 11/05/2011 18:04

A bit of swing or light jazz, Neil diamond, "easy listening" with a few popular classics thrown in for good measure.
The Waifs (as recommended on here) are really nice
Norah jones
Robbie - but only his. Swing album
The soldiers - corny but they sound good
Best of James bond!

vintageteacups · 11/05/2011 21:06

Thanks ladies - okay, so now I have written all that info down and will be adding to the playlist once the ipod arrives (sorry pimms, DH has already told me we're having one and it's actually my 34th birthday pressie)

Love the swing thing and B. Halliday/Ella Fitzgerals - I love them!

Neil Diamond too.

DH loves the Eagles and Bread so might addd a couple of the classics from his albums too.

Oh and my Vampire Diaries album is totally awesome!!!

OP posts:
chinateacup · 11/05/2011 21:39

Damien Rice "O" is pretty good . . . One Giant Leap for a bit of a world mix funky yet chilled . . . Sister-in-law had The XX on the other weekend - was pretty good although DH thought it was a bit depressing ....
If it's very formal dinner then I agree with music before and after but not during.
I think it's your house, your choice and like Talc said, subtle and no swearing and you can't go wrong.
Enjoy the iPod, and the entertaining :)

scaryteacher · 12/05/2011 16:56

I tend to stick on the Essential Mozart if it's people I don't know - or Dire Straits and Queen if it's more relaxed and people I do know well.

It's easy at Christmas - cds of Carols!

vintageteacups · 12/05/2011 18:34

Oh no! Completely contrasting answers to ponder over.

......hurries off back to youtube for more listening!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.